BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came from my dealer. I was looking at a 645i speed since I didn't want SMG. They told me BMW just announced that new M5 will be available with a 7-speed manual transmission! They don't know when. There was a sales meeting and the news was announced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,477 Posts
What? Tellus everything. Tommorrow Ill meet Bruhnke the BMW M manage so that will eb interesting to ask AGAIN :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,810 Posts
Gustav said:
What? Tellus everything. Tommorrow Ill meet Bruhnke the BMW M manage so that will eb interesting to ask AGAIN :)
Definately bring it up (if you get a chance BEFORE you announce the fire Chris Bangle petition.. I know, you read the book!) and let him know that dealers are telling people that it is coming, that might make him a little more forthcoming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gustav said:
What? Tellus everything. Tommorrow Ill meet Bruhnke the BMW M manage so that will eb interesting to ask AGAIN :)
That's all I know. I asked the salesman how he found out and what the source was, he replied "it was announce at their sales meeting". He went on to say that BMW acknowledged that there is a large demand for a manual shift in the next M5. The dealers must be giving feedback from disgruntled customers like myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,477 Posts
Actually I didnt read it and I wont meet Mr Bangle either. BTW the poll was mentioned in this month European Fortune.



vndkshn said:
Definately bring it up (if you get a chance BEFORE you announce the fire Chris Bangle petition.. I know, you read the book!) and let him know that dealers are telling people that it is coming, that might make him a little more forthcoming?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49,477 Posts
I certainly told them that at Paris this September.

dave said:
That's all I know. I asked the salesman how he found out and what the source was, he replied "it was announce at their sales meeting". He went on to say that BMW acknowledged that there is a large demand for a manual shift in the next M5. The dealers must be giving feedback from disgruntled customers like myself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Wow what news :thumbsup: and to think I have just spent the last 2 days driving an M3 SMG II selling myself on the new tranny :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
This continuous conflicting news about a manual gearbox is very confusing and doesn't make any sense. It goes against a lot of M has told us so far. Also, most seems to come from salesman (which, in my experience, usually have very little technical knowledge). Finally, i doubt anyone what's to work a 7spd manual H gate, especially with a tight shift pattern as in the M5 (opposed to a BUS or truck where they have lots of speeds but a REALLY long shift throw!).

But if you want the manual that bad, i say give it to you (for extra money if necessary), but i suspect it will be a 6spd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
dave said:
Just came from my dealer. I was looking at a 645i speed since I didn't want SMG. They told me BMW just announced that new M5 will be available with a 7-speed manual transmission! They don't know when. There was a sales meeting and the news was announced.
I don't think this sales person knows what he is talking about. Not to mention, we always find out information on this board long before the sales people in the United States find out.

The only way you will see a manual transmission is with a 6-speed and at that there is no motivation for BMW to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
If they have a seven speed i think it would have to be in a dog leg configuration which would be pretty annoying imho

all the best
adam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,886 Posts
greg_h said:
I don't think this sales person knows what he is talking about. Not to mention, we always find out information on this board long before the sales people in the United States find out.

The only way you will see a manual transmission is with a 6-speed and at that there is no motivation for BMW to do it.
Sorry, but I have to agree - salespeople are the last to know things like this, and the most likely to make them up. Not a chance we'll see a 7 sp manual. No way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
816 Posts
Wolverine said:
Sorry, but I have to agree - salespeople are the last to know things like this, and the most likely to make them up. Not a chance we'll see a 7 sp manual. No way.
That's right - they are way down the food chain to be given that good a news. If anything is coming out of the US, then it is there must be a lot of discussion about a manual rather than solid confirmation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
559 Posts
Let's not forget that some people call the SMG transmission a "manual" - could this be a case of "broken telephone" perhaps???????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spiroman said:
Let's not forget that some people call the SMG transmission a "manual" - could this be a case of "broken telephone" perhaps???????
Nice try, but the dealership and sales people I go to definitely know the difference between SMG and manual with a clutch pedal. They are the largest volume dealer in Northern California. The only "broken telephone" would have to be much higher up in the food chain. Anyway, I'm so hard up for a manual shifter that I will pass on the SMG III configuration and wait it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
We keep hearing stuff like this, but highly doubt it.

How will a 7 speed H-Gate work anyway?
where is the problem if it has a H-layout?
7th gear would just be the oppsite of reverse.

R135
-246

R1357
-246-

or

R246
1357 like the old transmissions...

i don't see any problems. in theory you could even build a 9gear-H-layout. no problem with handling, but maybe too many gears...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
9852147 said:
where is the problem if it has a H-layout?
7th gear would just be the oppsite of reverse.

R135
-246

R1357
-246-

or

R246
1357 like the old transmissions...

i don't see any problems. in theory you could even build a 9gear-H-layout. no problem with handling, but maybe too many gears...
I would perfer the
R1357
-246-

I would be **** scared to mishift into R from first on the second config. If they do that i hope there's some kind of safety.

on the R1357 config, i think it would work fine if they put in extra resistance into the shift into 7th (like how they have the shift into reverse, but to a lesser degree). Since you rarely use 7th except to cruise, there really isn't that much of a need to quickly shift from 6th to 7th

What about a

1357
246R ?
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top