BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm back into modding my car again after a long hiatus... Just purchased the supersprint cats and headers, as well as the SPEC stage 3 clutch from Daniel... Also ordered powerchip so I can raise my idle some more, since the aluminum flywheel sometimes stalls my car during hard braking and declutching... I'm now considering getting the schrick cams done (might as well get everything done together to save on the installation). Any feedback on the cams? I seem to only find second hand information on them. Curious if people had to retune their ECU after the installation.. If so, does powerchip have the software for them?
I'm not sure, but I think Dinan uses schrick cams as well as shadowman on his supercharged cars.... Any feedback from people with the cams on a non-supercharged car?
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
tfung said:
the aluminum flywheel sometimes stalls my car during hard braking and declutching...
Hi Tfung,

Lightweight flywheels don't stall rear-wheels during downshifting, they just let the engine return to idle quicker, and as such, are less forgiving to people who can't downshift properly, and ride the clutch as a result. Learn to heel and toe, and learn to blip during downshifts so your revs match when you let the clutchpedal up. That relieve your car of a lot of unnessecary mechanical stress!

Good luck,

Steve

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Stevie said:
Hi Tfung,

Lightweight flywheels don't stall rear-wheels during downshifting, they just let the engine return to idle quicker, and as such, are less forgiving to people who can't downshift properly, and ride the clutch as a result. Learn to heel and toe, and learn to blip during downshifts so your revs match when you let the clutchpedal up. That relieve your car of a lot of unnessecary mechanical stress!

Good luck,

Steve
I do healtoe revmatch for downshifts... it doesn't stall during downshifting, but actually stopping like at a stoplight... eg. car at 5000rpm, I brake, and put the clutch in, the revs go down too quickly, dips below 700rpm, and the engine just stalls... I need to prevent the rpms ever going below a certain threshold, so it won't stall the car... even tho dinan raised the idle speed to 700, it seems that the needle would still go below that when you brake and declutch too quickly while coming to a stop. Just seems the flywheel doesn't have enough momentum to keep the idle speed at 700rpm when you decelerate the engine fast enough..

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
tfung said:
I'm not sure, but I think Dinan uses schrick cams as well as shadowman on his supercharged cars.... Any feedback from people with the cams on a non-supercharged car?
Thanks!
I believe Claus Wagner has the cams in his Z8 and is very happy with it. An old post indicated the shrick cams were under consideration by BMW for OEM, but they ultimately decided on the current less aggressive grind. So they should certainly be a good match if the BMW engineers had them under consideration.
Regards,
Jerry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts