BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states, how many miles are you getting on a tank of gas? I'd rather know the miles per tank rather than MPG. There are always factors when calculating MPG, but it's hard to mess up miles a tank. I reset my odo when I fill up and usually fill up within 10 miles of the light coming on. I am currently sitting at 590rwhp and 504lbs of torque. I went to BFe in MD last weekend from Columbus Ohio. I got between 275 - 300 miles on a tank of gas. This week, I have been daily driving the M5. Pretty even split between 55mph driving and in town stop and go. Looks like I am only getting 200-220 miles per tank!! Ouch!! I guess that's the price you pay for daily driving a 600hp car!

Your input would be great.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
My old M3 was much worse than your miles per tank. I remember having to fill up less a week. I would get 250 miles a tank if im lucky. You got to pay to play with all ponies.

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Mixed driving, about 280. I typically refill before the light goes on. I get about 80 miles per 1/4 tank if I do a good fill up. If I "check" SC function, a little less.

Highway, about 400+ miles. I do have slightly taller gears (although wider front tires), so tops I get 10% extra.

Regards,
Jerry

Reactions: timmay77

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
You do have a supercharged beast, but best way is to reset the computer and check what you get on cruise control at 65-70mph and than see how it drops with city driving. I'm not supercharged by my turbo supra would get 26mpg with single turbo on highway when I wasn't boosting. If you boost the numbers fall from 14:7 AFR on cruise. If your sensors and all is in check I don't see why you shouldn't get very close to stock mpg.

With that said I have to see why I'm getting 20mpg on hogwash and 15 city when I used to get 27 highway and 19city. I used to average 21-22mpg. But same thing happens before before checking and switching vanos solenoid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Mine is mostly city driving during which I get around 200 miles per tank.

Reactions: timmay77

·
Registered
14 Posts
G'day from Oz 525whp .....Mixed every day driving I usually get 400km +May get 500km if all highway Kms
When on the track I'd be lucky to get 100km per tank!!!
Heaps less now with faulty O2 sensor I'm suspecting ....

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As the title states, how many miles are you getting on a tank of gas? I'd rather know the miles per tank rather than MPG. There are always factors when calculating MPG, but it's hard to mess up miles a tank. I reset my odo when I fill up and usually fill up within 10 miles of the light coming on. I am currently sitting at 590rwhp and 504lbs of torque. I went to BFe in MD last weekend from Columbus Ohio. I got between 275 - 300 miles on a tank of gas. This week, I have been daily driving the M5. Pretty even split between 55mph driving and in town stop and go. Looks like I am only getting 200-220 miles per tank!! Ouch!! I guess that's the price you pay for daily driving a 600hp car!

Your input would be great.

Thanks,
Tim
At steady state highway cruising, car should be running 14.7 AFR, same as stock, so only additional drag over stock car is the power it takes to run the supercharger (estimated to be 30-40bhp).

City driving is another deal as we all like to feel the power and anytime we're on the gas we're in transition and the car will add a bit of extra gas. This really zaps the miles per tank.

I get about the same as you and Jerry, highway, I've seen as high as 300 miles per tank and around the city drops like a rock as I too like to "test the supercharger"

Also a point of clarification, for those unfamiliar, the OBC mpg tracking doesn't work with injectors that are larger than stock. We've tried to recalibrate the OBC, but not enough range to do it...

·
Registered
12,891 Posts
Also a point of clarification, for those unfamiliar, the OBC mpg tracking doesn't work with injectors that are larger than stock. We've tried to recalibrate the OBC, but not enough range to do it...
With the Big Greens, if you max out the adjustment and take 20% off your OBC, you will be pretty close.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Tim,

Don't have any data on long trips, but I get ~200miles per tank city driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts