BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share my scary moment:

So.... I was driving down the street at about 50 Km/h coming up to a read light and my Nav made come crackling noise and went black. I was like WTF!!!! I tried everything and I could not get it to turn back on.

Did the reset of the car shut it off for 15 min and turned the car back on and nothing.. Everything worked but the Nav, i had music can change tracks and switch between Radio and CDC. So this was really wired to me as I had no clue what happen and why it happened.

I went on the this forum and read everything i can about BMW Nav, by the end of it I was scared because I though i would have to buy a new Nav for the car. A lot of people on this forum have has this problem and from what i read it seems like it came from jump starting the car at one point or another.

I remembered when my car was in transport to me, it was jump started at some point to help in transport, But then i have been driving my car for about 3 weeks after that with a new BMW battery in the car, so i did not know what was happening with this Nav.

After reading all the stuff and different thing that ppl have tried ie. turning the key to position one and xyz... disconnecting the battery and xyz, I decided to try something out my self.

All i did was;

Find all the fuses that relate to this Navigation and the video screen and pulled them all out for about 5 min.

after 5 min i put them back in the same order i pulled them out.

then i opened the driver door and closed it. Waited 5 min again to let the nav boot up till i can see the BMW splash screen.

And like 3 min later the BMW splash screen popped up and everything started working. the scree was working and all the nav functions were working. I did not even loose the memory of the Nav system.

All in all a good ending .. but a scary moment non the less

Thanks all for reading... (but if someone can tell me what happened with my NAV... i would grateful.

thanks again.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Sounds like the Nav computer crashed.

Usually when this happens it will still reset after the car is shut down for a few minutes.

Sometimes the Nav computer will remain in this state until it's power is disconnected, when in this failure mode it's important to disconnect it as it will continue drawing about 2 Amps and will flaten your battery.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Heh another local guy? My Nav has done some weird stuff, I remember about 2 months after getting my M, i hopped into the car and my stereo wouldnt work. Turned it off/on and nothing. This happened on the way to work, so i parked it went to work came back and it worked. Knock on wood hasnt done it since then, that was about 1.5 years ago.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Heh another local guy? My Nav has done some weird stuff, I remember about 2 months after getting my M, i hopped into the car and my stereo wouldnt work. Turned it off/on and nothing. This happened on the way to work, so i parked it went to work came back and it worked. Knock on wood hasnt done it since then, that was about 1.5 years ago.
Another Vancouver person!!! nice i have never seen you on the road... maybe we can doo a car meet one day and share some thoughts.

Would love to see some pictures of your car!!!

thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that is good to know i will keep that in mind... but lets hope it does not happen again.

thanks

·
Registered
301 Posts
Another Vancouver person!!! nice i have never seen you on the road... maybe we can doo a car meet one day and share some thoughts.

Would love to see some pictures of your car!!!

thanks
Too bad jt2ma1 won't bring his car out in the winter months though... believe me i've tried lol. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts