BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided not to sell the car. I'll be keeping it for a couple more years. With that said, it was time to do a quick refresh and make her feel new again. I always wanted gloss red....even before I ever bought my first E60. So now is the time.

Not a huge project this time around, it'll be something a bit less crazy since I'll be driving the car a lot more. Here is the gameplan:

- 3M Gloss Dragonfire Red Metallic vinyl wrap - with the metallic tint...the color shifts depending on how the light hits it...its so beautiful! lol
- RWZ Blackout Mod LCI taillights
- RWZ Custom LCI headlights - ill drop in some polarized lenses, carbon fiber shrouds, might do lighted fins too...depending on how lazy i am lol
- RWZ gloss black side skirts
- Gloss black OEM Style 166 wheels - ill put on my copper 21s for shows...but other than ill be running the OEM wheels
- Custom muffler set up - not sure on the details yet but ill finalize soon

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Awesome! Always wanted a red M5. I look forward to your headlights. Subscribed.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Man. Could you do a DIY? Or give some tips about how to do such a stellar job?
honestly, it's hard to DIY on the web or even in a video. by now i've wrapped like 50 or 60 cars....so its really all about repition before you get really good. there's guys out here in LA that are 100x better than me because they've wrapped thousands of cars...its 100% a skill and not a step-by-step type of thing.

Paint prep, inlays and patience are some of the keys to success though!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome! Always wanted a red M5. I look forward to your headlights. Subscribed.
currently researching an idea....and taking a look at some international parts....might be able to get crazy with the lights...but not sure yet. mums the word for now...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Looks great, love the color on the M5.

Mind if I ask where you got the vinyl? I'm tossing around the idea of wrapping my beater E46.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
3M Scotchprint 1080 is the best material for wrapping vehicles by far.

nothing else really comes close as far as ease of use and ability to conform. if i was forced to choose a second best it would be Avery.

Hexis is the worst possible film. Oracal 970ra is "OK" but really thick and the tact level is far too high for easy application..

Looks great, love the color on the M5.

Mind if I ask where you got the vinyl? I'm tossing around the idea of wrapping my beater E46.

·
Registered
164 Posts
3M Scotchprint 1080 is the best material for wrapping vehicles by far.

nothing else really comes close as far as ease of use and ability to conform. if i was forced to choose a second best it would be Avery.

Hexis is the worst possible film. Oracal 970ra is "OK" but really thick and the tact level is far too high for easy application..
Great, thanks for the tips, I'm between 3M and Avery. I've used the 3M vinyl before on my interior trim, so I'm fairly comfortable using that, but I do like some of Avery's color choices.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
couple of quick updates - things are moving slow as im super swamped with other sh!t on my plate but trying to get-r done so i can hit a couple of shows before the summer's done:

sneak peek of my next project:

up close shot of my lighted door handle mod:

trim going back on after finalizing the door wrap:

this is what it looks like when you move too fast and put the rear handle on the front door by mistake lol:

fresh set of virgin OEM taillights - ill be customizing those soon for the project as well with my Blackout Mod:

ive got a nasty gash/dent in my trunk (something fell on my trunk in the past), im repairing that with some spot bondo & sanding before wrapping the trunk - will look good as new:

ill be back later with more updates...

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
took a pic with the flash on so you can see the metallic fleck in the wrap....its so beautiful to me.

hopefully ill be able to finish things up this week and move along to the headlights and taillights.

putting on a fresh set of my side skirts too along with a front lip...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Chris do you ever finish these projects?!?! LOL. It would seem that I've followed at least 2 or 3 of your build threads only for final pics never to show up and then a new build thread comes out. You're nuts!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Chris do you ever finish these projects?!?! LOL. It would seem that I've followed at least 2 or 3 of your build threads only for final pics never to show up and then a new build thread comes out. You're nuts!

hahaha of course i do.

i think i just start a new project shortly thereafter so its hard to keep up. but here are some final photos from past iterations. owning a custom shop allows me to just change my mind on a whim lol

here is the final version of Project Patina:

back when it was matte anthracite metallic:

back when it was matte dark red metallic:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts