BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
The whole bias about the M6 buyer not understanding his car kinda bothers me. I've taken the M5 to a couple Porsche driving events and was impressed that the "porsche people" were far less informed about their car or driving skill than BMW drivers at any BMW event I have ever been part of. This is my bias but I think the article was unfair to suggest the M6 buyer was less informed than a 997S buyer.

frank

·
Registered
304 Posts
fgbaloh said:
The whole bias about the M6 buyer not understanding his car kinda bothers me. I've taken the M5 to a couple Porsche driving events and was impressed that the "porsche people" were far less informed about their car or driving skill than BMW drivers at any BMW event I have ever been part of. This is my bias but I think the article was unfair to suggest the M6 buyer was less informed than a 997S buyer.

frank
Here in Germany my BMW dealer doesn´t know anything about BMW M6. The dealer has no one inside information provided to me. On the other hand my Porsche dealer gives me all (accurate) informations about the upcoming 997 4S, 997 GT3, 997 Turbo and X51 powerkit.
I have both cars and I have attended many events from BMW and Porsche. One is for sure Porsche drivers are enthusiasts and know much more about their car and the competitors, much more then the BMW driver do.(My personal observation).

AM

·
Registered
179 Posts
I suspect there are many differences between German and American Porsche and Bmw owners. I did not mean to disparage Porsche owners or imply any knowledge base of their respective dealerships. Rather, I was surprised that the magazine would go out of its way to imply that BMW owners do not understand their cars. While there are certainly many exceptional Porsche and BMW owners on both continents, I suspect we have more Porsche owners who spend too much time making sure they have the correctly colored wheel cap cover than you have in Germany.
My statement wasn't intended to create animosity to your avitar. Besides, my next car may very well be a 997S rather than the M6 for which I am already in line.

Sorry if I offended,

Frank

·
Registered
304 Posts
fgbaloh said:
I suspect there are many differences between German and American Porsche and Bmw owners. I did not mean to disparage Porsche owners or imply any knowledge base of their respective dealerships. Rather, I was surprised that the magazine would go out of its way to imply that BMW owners do not understand their cars. While there are certainly many exceptional Porsche and BMW owners on both continents, I suspect we have more Porsche owners who spend too much time making sure they have the correctly colored wheel cap cover than you have in Germany.
My statement wasn't intended to create animosity to your avitar. Besides, my next car may very well be a 997S rather than the M6 for which I am already in line.

Sorry if I offended,

Frank
No, I am angry on my BMW dealer. She is nothing doing to get me to BMW M6. My Porsche dealer is on the other side doing everything. The one is saying how good the car is (without saying why) the other is argumenting with tons of arguments that a Porsche 997 S or 4S or Turbo is the much better car. I think BMW needs special M-seller.

AM

·
Registered
267 Posts
mumbasic said:
No, I am angry on my BMW dealer. She is nothing doing to get me to BMW M6. My Porsche dealer is on the other side doing everything. The one is saying how good the car is (without saying why) the other is argumenting with tons of arguments that a Porsche 997 S or 4S or Turbo is the much better car. I think BMW needs special M-seller.

AM
And that is probably at the root of the problem - not a special M seller. In Porsche u have only sport cars to sell (other than the occasional SU?). In BMW they have 1,3,5,6,7 Series in ROW (Rest of World), and all but the 1 series in NA (or is it just USA?). Lots of cars, models and variations. Selling Ms is like a co-lateral duty. Some sales people take it more serious than others but they are few and far between. Far too many dealers tucked in far away places that do not keep up with their product. BMW (and Porsche) are making cutting edge products and they need good info to get in the right hands (sales) to market that product to us. I have found that at least those of us on boards like this are far more knowledgeable than the normal BMW sales person I have run into. Not having shopped for Porsche I cannot form any opinion on their capabilities and can only gues so I will not here.

·
Registered
304 Posts
cobradav said:
And that is probably at the root of the problem - not a special M seller. In Porsche u have only sport cars to sell (other than the occasional SU?). In BMW they have 1,3,5,6,7 Series in ROW (Rest of World), and all but the 1 series in NA (or is it just USA?). Lots of cars, models and variations. Selling Ms is like a co-lateral duty. Some sales people take it more serious than others but they are few and far between. Far too many dealers tucked in far away places that do not keep up with their product. BMW (and Porsche) are making cutting edge products and they need good info to get in the right hands (sales) to market that product to us. I have found that at least those of us on boards like this are far more knowledgeable than the normal BMW sales person I have run into. Not having shopped for Porsche I cannot form any opinion on their capabilities and can only gues so I will not here.
Yes indeed, if call my delaer and asked her: "have you heard about ...." the normal answer would be: "oh Mr. ...... you know much more then me". Asking the same my Porsche dealer I get the answer: "yes, but this isn´t officially confirmed or no, that´s not true because ...".
So Porsche is transporting more familiy feeling to the customer. Once my BMW dealer even said, I don´t like to sell M3 I like to sell X5 (the customers are more gentle!).

AM

·
Registered
457 Posts
mumbasic said:
So Porsche is transporting more familiy feeling to the customer. Once my BMW dealer even said, I don´t like to sell M3 I like to sell X5 (the customers are more gentle!).
You can't just lump all BMW dealers together. It is true that many salesmen are not well informed about M cars; I made similar experiences. But there are also diligent salesmen that make all effort to get your questions answered. If you want immediate and reliable answers to all you M car questions just give the BMM M GmbG in Garching a call (Tel. 089/32903-0). There you get some kind of family feeling.

·
Registered
816 Posts
mumbasic said:
Here in Germany my BMW dealer doesn´t know anything about BMW M6. The dealer has no one inside information provided to me.
AM
What?! This dealer is just plain slack. I'm all the way in Australia - a long way indeed from the heart of M - and I've always had credible information.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mumbasic said:
Here in Germany my BMW dealer doesn´t know anything about BMW M6. The dealer has no one inside information provided to me. On the other hand my Porsche dealer gives me all (accurate) informations about the upcoming 997 4S, 997 GT3, 997 Turbo and X51 powerkit.
I have both cars and I have attended many events from BMW and Porsche. One is for sure Porsche drivers are enthusiasts and know much more about their car and the competitors, much more then the BMW driver do.(My personal observation).

AM
Hi, sorry for out of topic question, but could do please give me more info on upcoming Porsche 997 4S (price, power, dates). Also have you heard anything on engine upgrade to 997 S (Is it actually coming out? And if so when and how much boost will the S car get). Thx in advance.;)

·
Registered
304 Posts
exoprotoss said:
Hi, sorry for out of topic question, but could do please give me more info on upcoming Porsche 997 4S (price, power, dates). Also have you heard anything on engine upgrade to 997 S (Is it actually coming out? And if so when and how much boost will the S car get). Thx in advance.;)

More information about 997 4S on www.germancarfans.com

and some discussion about X51 (upgrade 25 hp for the 3.8l engine) www.rennteam.com

Greetings

AM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts