BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a first test run. Full 3D scans of the engine parts to follow once I get things working properly (need to find someone to fabricate a bracket for me, so could take a while). Will be scanning the Z8 frame too, but I imagine less demand for that on this forum.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
You got a website or something you'll be throwing this stuff up on?

Not interested in it for any purpose other than sheer curiosity! :) I'd love to see the Z8 frames. Maybe you've got a tweaked one you can scan too? ;)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
You got a website or something you'll be throwing this stuff up on?

Not interested in it for any purpose other than sheer curiosity! :) I'd love to see the Z8 frames. Maybe you've got a tweaked one you can scan too? ;)
I'll be putting the scans into the public domain: I want to see as many mad S62 projects as possible. How to make things available, though, I haven't worked out yet.

Regarding the Z8 frame: I know a guy in Germany who bought an extra frame just in case he needed one. I'm headed over to his house just as soon as I get fully operational.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Regarding the Z8 frame: I know a guy in Germany who bought an extra frame just in case he needed one.

Now that's an enthusiast :)

Peter, are you paying attention?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I must have missed a thread. I'm curious why are you doing this.
Because race car!

Does anyone have a rational reason for working on their cars? Here is how my Ducati ended up:

my NCR project

In that case it ended up being an entirely new bike rather than a modified Ducati (only the engine case, timing gears and oil pump were Ducati originals). In this case, I'm trying to keep the soul of the Z8 and improve the performance. So far I have a Dinan dry sump kit, a CIMA transaxle and lots of ideas.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You guys are making me blush! :15:

Funny how I don't get the same appreciation from my wife. Blah, blah, blah, obsession, blah, blah, blah.

Reactions: getiton

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Because race car!

Does anyone have a rational reason for working on their cars? Here is how my Ducati ended up:

my NCR project

In that case it ended up being an entirely new bike rather than a modified Ducati (only the engine case, timing gears and oil pump were Ducati originals). In this case, I'm trying to keep the soul of the Z8 and improve the performance. So far I have a Dinan dry sump kit, a CIMA transaxle and lots of ideas.
I wouldn't even classify that as a motorcycle anymore. Just a few pieces of a titanium tube holding an engine to some wheels! Seriously cool :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
180 Posts
This is so awesome! Thank you for sharing the scan files. It really opens up mad scientist design options for people like myself...:lightbulb:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
This took waaaaaaaay longer than expected, but I am up and running. I am pretty happy with the result, though. I put together a top-notch scanner myself for not much more than the cheapest ready-made structured light scanner (DAVID - SLS-2, which can only scan small objects). This one can scan small and large objects (e.g. full cars) with greater accuracy. The cheapest ready-made large-scale scanner (equivalent to this one) costs 20,000USD! Unfortunately, I am packing up and traveling for the next 4 months, so no scans of S62 parts for the time being.

PS: not sure why the photo shows up sideways. It looks fine when viewed on my computer.

Attachments

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
6,014 Posts

:nono:

You are calling into question your digital skills

:rofl:

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm looking into a hand held scanner, to avoid size limitations. Are your shares going to be just the STL point clouds, or did you spend the big bucks on the software to make solids from the scans?

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I'm looking into a hand held scanner, to avoid size limitations. Are your shares going to be just the STL point clouds, or did you spend the big bucks on the software to make solids from the scans?
A FARO arm with a laser scanner would be sweet, but pricy! Do you have any scanners in mind?

I have Solidworks premium, which includes that functionality (ScanTo3D). I have yet to try it and have heard mixed reviews. We shall see. I am only doing the conversion for parts I need, though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts