BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a letter from BMW telling me that there is a $300 use tzx in South Carolina and even though I live in Alabama and will only pick up the car in SC
and have it there less than 6 hours I will have to pay it.

Have any of you had that experience picking up a Car in Spartenburg? I guess if your buying a $75K car $300 is no big deal but it's the damn principle of the
matter.

Signed,
Taxed to Death already

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I got the letter, too, before I took delivery at the Performance Center in March. Unless I receive a 1099 at year-end, there was no real impact. I didn't have to pay any on-the-spot taxes before departing.

I think they're just doing a 'CYA' for an obscure tax law that might impact their customers. I also think they've got enough stroke in SC now (influx of revenue and jobs) that it may have been taken care of. We'll see at the end of January!

·
Registered
320 Posts
If it is not too much of a burden, could someone post additional details and/or transcribe the language of the use tax letter?

I just read a few articles that talked about South Carolina pushing the legal envelope on use tax and that the American Bar Association declared certain SC practices unconstitutional as related to interstate commerce law.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'll try to find the letter in my files. If I locate it, I'll post the content. While I referenced the file daily (hourly?) while waiting for the beast to arrive, I haven't had occasion to use it of late.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't have to pay the $300 South Carolina Use Tax. The letter from BMW was juat a CYA job.

BlewByU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts