BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this and thought about our s85 tolerances and warm up procedures. I've always said BMW gave us detuned bespoke F1 engines -- without the F1 budgets to rebuild our s85s. Neat stuff, but note from 6:58. All of us know that you can't "just start" and F1 car. Nothing new, just presented in a different format.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/I4QyxGE2414" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Registered
Although I understand that tighter tolerances mean higher power gains, for us normal folks it's not very consumer friendly to have 6-8 engines "a season" like F1 teams, and all of the budget behind the team, to fix rod bearings and engine problems as they arise for our M5's.

I guess this just proves that you have to pay to play. This is a price you must bear in mind if you want to put miles on a 500hp naturally aspirated V10 that revs like a honda vtec.

Of course, I've seen a lot of people turned off by the E60 M5 because of high maintenance costs in case something breaks. But I think this is what being a "car enthusiast" is all about. M5's aren't for everyone, but those people who ride in them, baby them and appreciate the technology and performance, find no true substitute in any other 4 door car.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Although I understand that tighter tolerances mean higher power gains, for us normal folks it's not very consumer friendly to have 6-8 engines "a season" like F1 teams, and all of the budget behind the team, to fix rod bearings and engine problems as they arise for our M5's.

I guess this just proves that you have to pay to play. This is a price you must bear in mind if you want to put miles on a 500hp naturally aspirated V10 that revs like a honda vtec.

Of course, I've seen a lot of people turned off by the E60 M5 because of high maintenance costs in case something breaks. But I think this is what being a "car enthusiast" is all about. M5's aren't for everyone, but those people who ride in them, baby them and appreciate the technology and performance, find no true substitute in any other 4 door car.
I couldn't agree more. I'm finding a hard time looking for a "replacement" for my e60 -- nothing with 4 doors, at least.

block heaters for everyone !
I had one on my LandCruiser during my Steamboat and Vail days...

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts