BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As i was in the car with the wife today in London.. i see these nice wheels which caught my attention.. Hmm those are of the new M5.. then i caught the rear tail pipes.. only 2 ! hey whats going on here... Looked at the rear badge and it said 530d !!!! As i drove by it, i turned my head to see the front to only find the new M5 spolier !!!

So there you go.. I think this is officially the first fake e60 M5 in the world !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Sure it wasn't just a 530d sport? They have M5-esque 18in wheels and an M5-esque bodykit, but the rear bumper in particular is quite different...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Black M5 said:
As i was in the car with the wife today in London.. i see these nice wheels which caught my attention.. Hmm those are of the new M5.. then i caught the rear tail pipes.. only 2 ! hey whats going on here... Looked at the rear badge and it said 530d !!!! As i drove by it, i turned my head to see the front to only find the new M5 spolier !!!

So there you go.. I think this is officially the first fake e60 M5 in the world !
I saw one about 5 months ago in Eindhoven, it had Belgium plates however. Didn't have the wheels but it had the bodykit. This guy was smart enough to have it debaged but you could tell by the tailpipes.

When I first saw it I also though, hmm look the new M5, but upon closer inspection it was obvious that it wasn't an M5.

It's not really all that fake cause you can order it like that from factory. BMW should stop doing that IMHO. Doesn't come with ///M badges from factory however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
955 Posts
Black M5 said:
As i was in the car with the wife today in London.. i see these nice wheels which caught my attention.. Hmm those are of the new M5.. then i caught the rear tail pipes.. only 2 ! hey whats going on here... Looked at the rear badge and it said 530d !!!! As i drove by it, i turned my head to see the front to only find the new M5 spolier !!!

So there you go.. I think this is officially the first fake e60 M5 in the world !
why is it a fake M5 only because it has M5 rims and front M5 bumper? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
It can't beat the ones in Singapore. I saw one with the M kit plus the M5 side gills and quad tailpipes. That is what I call fake and that is the reason why I ordered the M6 instead.

Those with 166M wheels cannot be considered fake, please. BMW sells the M-tech kits to anyone who can afford them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
The fastest way for me to find out if it is a real M5 or not is to look at the side-grills [or mirrors]. However as you can read above the superfakers also take care of that. What a waste of money! Add a couple of bucks more and buy a real M5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
On the BMW UK site they even list prices for the 5 series M Sport.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/pricesan...__bs-NQ%3D%3D%40bb-TEk%3D%40sit-bmwuk,00.html

The Dutch pricelist has an option for an "M Sports package", this package consists of:
* M Aerodynamic package (M bodykit ofcourse)
* M Door sills
* M Suspension (not for xi)
* Anthracite headlining
* Interior trim Silver Aluminium Cube for touring (???)
* 18-inch M Sports Spoke Alloy Wheels with runflat tyres (not for use with snowchain)
* High gloss shadowline
* Some other options concerning the colors and such, too much to list and uninteresting.

This and more can be all yours for the bargain price of just 6583 euro, yes call now and get your fake BMW M. Watch as your neighbours gasp at you and you leave those hotchicks in a shock and awe state. Call now and get this M5 necklace free of charge, can you say BLANG BLANG!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8892
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
CyberKnight said:
Add a couple of bucks more and buy a real M5.
Hardly. Sport 5-series start at under £30,000 vs £62,000+ for an M5 in the UK.

Don't blame the owners for buying a Sport kitted 5-series (circa 50% of all uk E39 5series were Sport models), blame BMW for selling a car that looks nearly identical to an M5, before they had even launched the M5.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
all you hafta do is drive around the Gold Coast in Australia for a couple of hours, especially on a Saturday night, and you'll see any number of cars with a ///M badge, which are obviously not ///Ms. A lot of them are just plain stupid - I've seen an ///M badge on one side and a 318i badge on the other.

Though there was one car that looked identical to an E46 M3, except it didn't have dual exhaust, just a single cannon that looked ridiculous... I pulled up next to the guy and said "is this an M3?" "Yeah it is!!" "Where's the dual exhaust?" "... **** off"

mmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,396 Posts
Did it look like this? Its just a M-Sport with the #166 wheels. Its not really a fake, BMW factory body kit in Europe.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,722 Posts
frylord said:
I saw one about 5 months ago in Eindhoven, it had Belgium plates however. Didn't have the wheels but it had the bodykit. This guy was smart enough to have it debaged but you could tell by the tailpipes.

When I first saw it I also though, hmm look the new M5, but upon closer inspection it was obvious that it wasn't an M5.

It's not really all that fake cause you can order it like that from factory. BMW should stop doing that IMHO. Doesn't come with ///M badges from factory however.
Was it on a very small BMW meeting? Then you saw Pmmke's car, he owns a 525d with sports pack. You probably saw me too... I was with the (at that time stock) carbon black E39 M5, with Belgian plates.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
frylord said:
This and more can be all yours for the bargain price of just 6583 euro, yes call now and get your fake BMW M. Watch as your neighbours gasp at you and you leave those hotchicks in a shock and awe state. Call now and get this M5 necklace free of charge, can you say BLANG BLANG!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=8892
now now, when can we all play nice ;) ... BMW is very smart, they sell body kits just like Hartge, Hamman, ACS, ..they are designed by M and look similar to the M5, just as all of the other modders do...BMW is a business, and their goal is profit...plus that fact that most people have no use for 500+ hp in everyday life, especially living in cities like NYC where there are NO roads that you can get out of 3rd gear in.... M-sports are cars in between the standards and the full Ms, and are made on the same assemble line, no fakes there, and no one should call them that... if you want exclusivity, you have to go to a different automaker :M5thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
Without that oval rear view mirror it going to be hard to determine on the more complete versions.

BMW is already making a look-a-like for the Euro markets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
ChrisDolphin said:
On the subject of badging - I was at a BMW bodyshop the other day and noticed a nice M3 convertible - debadged (ie - the m3 grills on the side didnt have m3 on them) and the owner had a 318i badge put on it ?!!!?!?
i've heard a few similar stories to this, i guess they figure they can play with the unsuspecting even more this way :noSMG:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,940 Posts
Guys, the M-Sport model isn't a fake M5. It's EASY to spot the difference - 2 tailpipes instead of 4, regular unflared fenders, totally different rear bumper, front fog-lights and different flappy things on the leading edges.

Besides, BMW has sold M-like (M-Tech, M-Sport, Sport) bodykits for their cars, all the way back to the E30 - the E28 M535i was arguably the equivalent back in the day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Well as a friend of mine once said

It isn't the badge but the performance that distinguishes an ///M Car.
But the irritating thing is that there alot of fakers out there who think they can force some form of respect just by abusing the badge. They do not get what the ///M really stands for.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top