BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving from San Diego to the Central Coast on 12/7 when I pull into the rest area about 25 miles south of Santa Maria. I am driving my 2003 m5 (i have an 02 e46 m3 as well). So, I pull into the rest area, and I can't believe my eyes as I park next to the new m5. It was obviously the new one, new body style, quad pipes, huge wheels, with gigantic drilled rotors. It was dark silver/grayish color with black wheels and the area where the gills will be have sheet metal welded over them. I look inside and see the smg paddles and stick.

I go to the bathroom to take care of business and there is a black guy and white guy standing outside smoking. They looked liked truckers or something to be honest. I hurry up and go and walk outside, and ask the black guy if he knows who's car that is. He tells me no, I then kind of start going on about what type of car it is (a bit excited I must admit, as I still can't believe what I'm seeing). finally, the white guy pipes up, "yeah, i'm driving it. i'm a test driver for bmw." "nice job." I tell him.

Well, i ask the guy if i can drive it and i'll let him drive my m5, he says no. i then ask him if i can see the engine, he said no again. in fact, he wouldn't even let me sit in it. we chat a bit, and he tells me, that car can go.

as the pair of them are getting ready to leave (the black guy is driving a mini cooper s, apparently he's the pace car or something), the m5 driver asks me where i'm going. i tell him santa maria. he says, well...we're going to nipomo, come on and we'll play a little bit. i'm all over that and hop in my m5. he starts up the new m5, it sounded great on starting up, subdued deep rumble. i follow the m5 and the mini onto 101 north.

keep in mind the weather yesterday was wet, drizzling, and the highway was wet. meanwhile, i am following the 2 of them and checking out the car etc...i must say, it looks much better in person than in photos and much better than the regular 5. the only complaint i really have about it's looks is i don't really like the hood too much.

we drive for 10-15 miles, he doesn't really "play with me". finally, we get a little clear area of highway (i'm in the left lane, he's in the right). i see him drop down a couple of gears, so i drop into 3rd, we are going about 70 and both floor it from around this speed. while in 3rd gear HE DID NOT PULL ON ME AT ALL. Now, I don't know if he had it in the 500hp mode or not, but he didn't pull. he went into 4th (i'm assuming we were in the same gears) just a tad before me, i slammed into 4th with a nice clean shift, in 4th he pulled on me, but barely, and i mean barely. we went to about 110 maybe 115 and slowed down due to traffic. after thinking about it, i was surprised he shifted before i did because of the higher rev limit, but then thought that maybe due to gearing it actually revs faster to 8k rpm than i do to 7k.

anyway, that's my story...regretfully i didn't have my camera with me, but it was still pretty cool.

·
Registered
312 Posts
iamderek said:
[the other] guy is driving a mini cooper s, apparently he's the pace car or something)
Great pace car. . . IMHO :) (though if hubby and I are ever driving both of our cars somewhere tandem, I have a very tough time keeping up with the 0-95 stints he likes to do between stop signs. . . )

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, would be tough to keep up. must say, on our one "run" we rather lost the cooper.
Mrs_Struth said:
Great pace car. . . IMHO :) (though if hubby and I are ever driving both of our cars somewhere tandem, I have a very tough time keeping up with the 0-95 stints he likes to do between stop signs. . . )

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Very cool :cool:

And the lesson is... always keep a camera in your glovebox! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
or buy a camera phone.
Ashok Arora said:
Very cool :cool:

And the lesson is... always keep a camera in your glovebox! :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
thanks for the story, even if you didnt get a ride...:M5launch:

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Needs pics but thank you for the story!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i don't make it a habit of carrying around my digital camera. maybe i'll make my next phone a camera phone, verizon owes me a new one in january.
Adam said:
Needs pics but thank you for the story!

all the best
adam

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Nice story, nothing like being in the right place at the right time. Too bad you weren't able to make some more performance comaprisons. The E60 M5 has been compared to almost everything but the E39 M5.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Dang! MCS and E60 M5... DOH!

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
iamderek said:
i see him drop down a couple of gears, so i drop into 3rd, we are going about 70 and both floor it from around this speed. while in 3rd gear HE DID NOT PULL ON ME AT ALL. Now, I don't know if he had it in the 500hp mode or not, but he didn't pull. he went into 4th (i'm assuming we were in the same gears) just a tad before me, i slammed into 4th with a nice clean shift, in 4th he pulled on me, but barely, and i mean barely. we went to about 110 maybe 115 and slowed down due to traffic.
Whats going on here ? hmmm

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Dirkies said:
around 3:25 the (Dutch) guy says "260 whoohoo..."

and all the time he says 'unbelievable' (ongeloofelijk)

hmmm hmmm :confused2 hmmm :confused2

Are we reading the same thread???

Good story! Thanks for sharing. I agree with Terk, it would be good to see an "E60 M5 vs. E39 M5" thread soon :)

:cheers:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you don't think what, that it happened? i woke up, there was this weird little wet spot on the bed, but i swear it happened the day before! How about this, i give you the names of the 4 people i called as this was happening (before and after the 10 seconds i got to play with the m5) so i can continue the charade even longer.http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/6001499-2.html and http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e46m3/6001487-2.html
Wolverine said:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts