BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<HR style="COLOR: #666666" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I was driving from San Diego to the Central Coast on Tuesday 12/7 when I pull into the rest area about 25 miles south of Santa Maria. I am driving my 2003 m5 (i have an 02 e46 m3 as well). So, I pull into the rest area, and I can't believe my eyes as I park next to the new m5. It was obviously the new one, new body style, quad pipes, huge wheels, with gigantic drilled rotors. It was dark silver/grayish color with black wheels and the area where the gills will be have sheet metal welded over them. I look inside and see the smg paddles and stick.

I go to the bathroom to take care of business and there is a black guy and white guy standing outside smoking. They looked liked truckers or something to be honest. I hurry up and go and walk outside, and ask the black guy if he knows who's car that is. He tells me no, I then kind of start going on about what type of car it is (a bit excited I must admit, as I still can't believe what I'm seeing). finally, the white guy pipes up, "yeah, i'm driving it. i'm a test driver for bmw." "nice job." I tell him.

Well, i ask the guy if i can drive it and i'll let him drive my m5, he says no. i then ask him if i can see the engine, he said no again. in fact, he wouldn't even let me sit in it. we chat a bit, and he tells me, that car can go.

as the pair of them are getting ready to leave (the black guy is driving a mini cooper s, apparently he's the pace car or something), the m5 driver asks me where i'm going. i tell him santa maria. he says, well...we're going to nipomo, come on and we'll play a little bit. i'm all over that and hop in my m5. he starts up the new m5, it sounded great on starting up, subdued deep rumble. i follow the m5 and the mini onto 101 north.

keep in mind the weather yesterday was wet, drizzling, and the highway was wet. meanwhile, i am following the 2 of them and checking out the car etc...i must say, it looks much better in person than in photos and much better than the regular 5. the only complaint i really have about it's looks is i don't really like the hood too much.

we drive for 10-15 miles, he doesn't really "play with me". finally, we get a little clear area of highway (i'm in the left lane, he's in the right). i see him drop down a couple of gears, so i drop into 3rd, we are going about 70 and both floor it from around this speed. while in 3rd gear HE DID NOT PULL ON ME AT ALL. Now, I don't know if he had it in the 500hp mode or not, but he didn't pull. he went into 4th (i'm assuming we were in the same gears) just a tad before me, i slammed into 4th with a nice clean shift, in 4th he pulled on me, but barely, and i mean barely. we went to about 110 maybe 115 and slowed down due to traffic. after thinking about it, i was surprised he shifted before i did because of the higher rev limit, but then thought that maybe due to gearing it actually revs faster to 8k rpm than i do to 7k.

anyway, that's my story...regretfully i didn't have my camera with me, but it was still pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
this sounds very supsious to say the least, not your story but this guy and wheather it was acually an m5. did you look in side it at all and happen to see the smg paddles?

I just can't imagine all of it really. At least from the point of view it's a new m5.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
without question it was the new m5. huge 19's, huge cross-drilled rotors, quad pipes that look very similar to ours. smg. he had all kinds of electronic equipment inside, walkie talkies to talk with the mini cooper guy. the portion where the gills would be had pieces of sheet metal welded over the area. stance was significantly different than 545, their were the bumper was some sort of matte black. honestly, what else could it have been? 545 wouldn't stand much of a chance in 3rd with me flooring it in 3rd.

Jayson said:
this sounds very supsious to say the least, not your story but this guy and wheather it was acually an m5. did you look in side it at all and happen to see the smg paddles?

I just can't imagine all of it really. At least from the point of view it's a new m5.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
frankly, i would love to say it killed me. but when you consider it's torque is not much more than my e39's, it wouldn't pull that hard on me even if he had it in 500hp mode, i don't know what mode he had it in.
Jayson said:

·
Registered
463 Posts
iamderek said:
. . . when you consider it's torque is not much more than my e39's, it wouldn't pull that hard on me even if he had it in 500hp mode, i don't know what mode he had it in.
Starting from 70mph, it's the extra 110hp that oughta have killed you (and me), had the other guy been giving it 100%.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
again, i don't know if he was in 400hp or 500hp mode. any engineers on this board who could let us know what the difference would be?
EdP said:
Starting from 70mph, it's the extra 110hp that oughta have killed you (and me), had the other guy been giving it 100%.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
P400 is quite similar to M5 E39 performance acually:

P400 och P500
---------------------------P400--------------P500------------------
0-100 km/h ----------- 5.4 sec ---------- 4.7 sec----------------
0-200 km/h------------18.0 sec --------- 14.4 sec---------------
0-400 m--------------- 13.2 sec --------- 12.4 sec---------------

Source: Autocar (Peter Robinsons article).

·
Registered
102 Posts
I live in San Luis Obispo, CA.... Did the guy live in nipomo? If so I am going to drive over there and try to find him :) Did he say he way driving it bye the dealerships or what? GOD WHY CAN I NEVER SEE THIS CAR, IT'S SO CLOSE TO WHERE I LIVE I WANNA, I WANNA, I WANNA!!!!!!!!! :noSMG: :noSMG:

*thinks, I need to lay off the coffee from now on*

Gustav said:
P400 is quite similar to M5 E39 performance acually:

P400 och P500
---------------------------P400--------------P500------------------
0-100 km/h ----------- 5.4 sec ---------- 4.7 sec----------------
0-200 km/h------------18.0 sec --------- 14.4 sec---------------
0-400 m--------------- 13.2 sec --------- 12.4 sec---------------

Source: Autocar (Peter Robinsons article).

·
Registered
8 Posts
While driving in Santa Barbara noth on the 101 today about 4:00 PM I saw your new M5 followed by the Mini Cooper. I was traveling at about 65 mph with the window down as they passed me up.I wasn't driving my M5 today but what was interesting was how quiet the new M5 was. The M5 is silver with charcoal lower panels, the Mini Cooper is dark green. This isn't the first time that I have seen them as they come from the BMW facilities in Oxnard.
Kirk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bah maybe next week when I am back from Maui I will see it on the way down.

KirkM5 said:
While driving in Santa Barbara noth on the 101 today about 4:00 PM I saw your new M5 followed by the Mini Cooper. I was traveling at about 65 mph with the window down as they passed me up.I wasn't driving my M5 today but what was interesting was how quiet the new M5 was. The M5 is silver with charcoal lower panels, the Mini Cooper is dark green. This isn't the first time that I have seen them as they come from the BMW facilities in Oxnard.
Kirk

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a chance to drive the new M5 two weeks ago in Germany and I can totally corroborate your story. I don't know if the expectation of what 507 HP should feel like vs. what they really feel like was the cause for my disappointment, but the motor felt very busy, like an overgrown M3. Too much work to get it going, not enough when you get there, and a real fuel hog. I hate to say this, but in a different way I got less satisfaction from the M5 than I get from driving our X3 with a tuned 3.0d motor. The diesel has 670Nm of torque and there is no M3 on the road that can keep up with it from 0 to 200Km/h.

The M5 will sell, but I think it is not a practical car here in North America.

BTW, in case you are wondering, the M5 was a press car and I work for Racing Dynamics in Italy.

Federico

·
Registered
962 Posts
Perhaps if the Test Driver was the genuine article; BMW has him on a tight lease and they won't let him use the extra 100Bhp until shakedown testing at 400 is complete.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I saw this car also around the 9th. It was parked in Calabasas. The guy came out of Baja fresh and said he was testing it for BMW. The dark gray color was almost black on the car I saw. It had a VIN # on it. He let me sit in it for a minute. I had seen the new M5 at Octoberfest in July and still think it is boring inside and out.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
Regarding "have to work for the power" yes, its stressful, but M Power is about high-revving engines. I think the M5 E60 will have a total different character than the M5 E39 but more sporty, mopre on the edge. I like that.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I am thinking that if I wanted to plunge into the i-drive era od BMW M cars, I would wait to go with the new M6. I would be even more inclined if it had a real manual. Perhaps they will come out with a slimmed down version with a stick and no i-drive.

I know, I am just dreaming. Oh well, long live the E39.

Mark

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
flpavoncelli said:
I had a chance to drive the new M5 two weeks ago in Germany and I can totally corroborate your story. I don't know if the expectation of what 507 HP should feel like vs. what they really feel like was the cause for my disappointment, but the motor felt very busy, like an overgrown M3. Too much work to get it going, not enough when you get there, and a real fuel hog. I hate to say this, but in a different way I got less satisfaction from the M5 than I get from driving our X3 with a tuned 3.0d motor. The diesel has 670Nm of torque and there is no M3 on the road that can keep up with it from 0 to 200Km/h.

The M5 will sell, but I think it is not a practical car here in North America.

BTW, in case you are wondering, the M5 was a press car and I work for Racing Dynamics in Italy.

Federico

Frederico-

Thanks for your comments...

In typical european understatement, I like the way you characterize your employment (President of Racing Dynamics)

Knowing your background adds a bit to the story.

A

1 - 16 of 16 Posts