BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a track day - and there was a guy with an M5 E34 there who had the following...

BBS Lemans 18's
HR Springs
Bilstein dampers
Brembo big brake kit with Pagid pads

Needless to say he was as quick as the Porsche's on the track, he also had his car tuned to 405hp, and told me he regularly beats his mates e39 in a straight line and on the bendy stuff.

He has even taken out his spare wheel area and fuel tank - replaced it with a racing fuel cell, and has a beautifully crafted quad pipe system - the sound was by far the best of any car there - and there were Ferraris and Porsches present.

Alot of people are saying he has ruined his car - even more so for it being one of the limited editions - in bright red, and with the racing seats (sorry do not know if it is a Cecotto or the other one).

He has had the head ported and polished, Schrick cams, no kats, stiffer valve springs, he has also taken off the air pump and ground down the small pipes which restrict the airflow in the exhaust headers. He does not have a piggy back system, like UNICHIP - which I find a bit odd.

He's spent about 30,000gbp equivelant on this car, some of the work he did himself. Two engine rebuilds he had done by a tuning company.

So coming back to wether you want to change some parts on the suspension - I would - especially if you are going to take it to the track quite often.

On the downside - he drives like the devil himself on and off the track, so his engine life will probably be drastically reduced. But a candle that burns twice as bright.....

Anyway my point is enjoy your car the way you see fit, I want to have the best handling possible and feel the car is limited by its suspension and brakes on the track, but on the other side I dont want my normal driving to be too harsh - what does one do? I'm still undecided.

Rgds

J

I think that performance upgrades are fine - even if it takes away the original condition of the car - as long as it is some form of improvement over the old.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
oh yes, we know that car, do we not ? I believe I have some pictures taken
at the 'Knutstorp-Ring' (South-Sweden) on the occasion of the annual BMW-Club-Sweden-event down there -
1) the bright side, a nice and clean car and an impressing project -
2) the down-side, it is the 02/20 "20 Years BMW Motorsport-anniversary"-
car, i.e. one of only twenty made and THAT is a shame :sad2: as he cud have taken
really ANY other E34 M5 for his project with the same result (except for the
interior but that cud been purchased from BMW) -
-
but then, of course, it is HIS car, so he may do what he wants with it -
still, this car is only 1 out of 4 of the 20 made that have been located so far,
does anyone have knowledge about the whereabouts of ANY of these ???
(one is owned by the former BMW-Club-Sweden chairman), that makes it
Sweden 2 : Germany 2, anyone ?? ??????

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Be nice to see some pics of this car in question.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Jahangeer said:
I went to a track day - and there was a guy with an M5 E34 there who had the following...

BBS Lemans 18's
HR Springs
Bilstein dampers
Brembo big brake kit with Pagid pads

Needless to say he was as quick as the Porsche's on the track, he also had his car tuned to 405hp, and told me he regularly beats his mates e39 in a straight line and on the bendy stuff.

He has even taken out his spare wheel area and fuel tank - replaced it with a racing fuel cell, and has a beautifully crafted quad pipe system - the sound was by far the best of any car there - and there were Ferraris and Porsches present.

Alot of people are saying he has ruined his car - even more so for it being one of the limited editions - in bright red, and with the racing seats (sorry do not know if it is a Cecotto or the other one).

He has had the head ported and polished, Schrick cams, no kats, stiffer valve springs, he has also taken off the air pump and ground down the small pipes which restrict the airflow in the exhaust headers. He does not have a piggy back system, like UNICHIP - which I find a bit odd.

He's spent about 30,000gbp equivelant on this car, some of the work he did himself. Two engine rebuilds he had done by a tuning company.

So coming back to wether you want to change some parts on the suspension - I would - especially if you are going to take it to the track quite often.

On the downside - he drives like the devil himself on and off the track, so his engine life will probably be drastically reduced. But a candle that burns twice as bright.....

Anyway my point is enjoy your car the way you see fit, I want to have the best handling possible and feel the car is limited by its suspension and brakes on the track, but on the other side I dont want my normal driving to be too harsh - what does one do? I'm still undecided.

Rgds

J

I think that performance upgrades are fine - even if it takes away the original condition of the car - as long as it is some form of improvement over the old.
If you want the best from both worlds, I would go for yellow konis, Eibach springs, strut braces, (FRONT AND BACK), and Bigger anti roll bars.

Anti rolls are serius improvement as they don't make the car harsh to drive but make it very point and eliminates good part of the roll.

As konis are adjustables you can do it yourself with no problem. A big imrpove in handling too. ( I have yellow konis and Eibach springs in my car and I really like it)

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MBrasil said:
If you want the best from both worlds, I would go for yellow konis, Eibach springs, strut braces, (FRONT AND BACK), and Bigger anti roll bars.

Anti rolls are serius improvement as they don't make the car harsh to drive but make it very point and eliminates good part of the roll.

As konis are adjustables you can do it yourself with no problem. A big imrpove in handling too. ( I have yellow konis and Eibach springs in my car and I really like it)
---------------------

Thanks for the advice MBrasil. I will look into the Koni/Eibach combo too.
How do the Konis differ from the Bilsteins?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BURTON said:
Be nice to see some pics of this car in question.
---------------------

Here are some pics....non of the car in action, which is a pity as it was very quick and had minimal body roll in the corners......

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts