BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Still looking for the perfect wheels.:goldcup: Getting weary though, must make a decision soon.:dunno: Considering Savini’s because they offer CF overlay. The problem is a have a friend think Savini’s are crap and the wheel company swears otherwise. Instead of relying on the advice of one or two people, I though I’ll ask the Experts.:1zhelp: Imagine this wheels carbon fiber face and chrome lip in 20”s. I'm told by Savini that the wheels are three piece 100% forged and only weights about 25 to 28 pounds. Unlike some companies that claim "forged" but have cast components. What do you guys think Yes or No? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Nice wheel and yes they are strong (My brother had a set of them on his CLS for 2 years and no bends or problems in 20's also). But for the price, why don't you go with a set of HRE's if you don't mind sacrificing the Carbon Fiber? I just ordered a set of the HRE 793r in Black with Chrome Lip in 21x11 rear and 21x9 front with 295/25/21 rear tires and 255/30/21 front's. PS2's..... And they made them with the offset in mind for the lowering setup I will be using with Dinan so they fit perfectly snug and no rubbing. You really can't go wrong with HRE.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice wheel and yes they are strong (My brother had a set of them on his CLS for 2 years and no bends or problems in 20's also). But for the price, why don't you go with a set of HRE's if you don't mind sacrificing the Carbon Fiber? I just ordered a set of the HRE 793r in Black with Chrome Lip in 21x11 rear and 21x9 front with 295/25/21 rear tires and 255/30/21 front's. PS2's..... And they made them with the offset in mind for the lowering setup I will be using with Dinan so they fit perfectly snug and no rubbing. You really can't go wrong with HRE.
Your right you can’t wrong with HRE’s. I almost pulled the trigger on a set of 640R’s. It’s the carbon fiber that gets me.:wow: I know carbon fiber for wheels will be the next big trend and I want to be one of the first. I was worried about validity of the company. Since you say that the company is sound, I feel much better about it. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what about some DYMAGS if you want carbon fiber?
Yah looked at those, nice but don't like any of thier designs. Thanks for the rec. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
i agree with Ryan u cant go wrong with some HRE rims... id recommend 590r or 591r

good luck...........

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
i agree with Ryan u cant go wrong with some HRE rims... id recommend 590r or 591r

good luck...........
Since you live in Socal, why don't you stop by HRE's factory near Carlsbad. Totally custom-made for your unique style:thumbsup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
any one know how much Dymags cost? I did a little research, the saved unsprung weight seem really promising.

·
Registered
156 Posts
the carbon fibre version does look real good, go for it an be different.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
That wheel is amazing!!! Reminiscent of the classic SSR-GT3's but in CF!!!:eek:h::eek:

price tag?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Gorgeous wheel. Cool site: http://www.360forged.com/

From their site, prices start at $1690/wheel for 20" depending on custom lip finishes. My guess is around $8,500 to $9,000 for a set of custom 20s (9" and 11") then add tires. I'd budget $10.5k all in (wheels + tires). That's in the ballpark for highest quality cold forged A6061-T6 aluminum wheels. Neez (http://www.neezusa.com/) for example list (price from last year) for around $2200 per wheel for 20s prior to adding a custom finish of $200/wheel. :eek:

The 360 forged wheels also have a nice unsprung weight savings too. 20x9 = 21.4 lbs; 20x11 = 23.1 lbs compared to stock BMW M6 19s of 24 and 27 lbs. And why should we care about reducing unsprung weight? Well reduced unsprung weight will deliver more precise steering input and improved handling and the reduced rotational mass will provide more responsive acceleration and braking. Let alone improving the contact patch for grip with 11" width rubber in the rear! :checkeredflag:

But why do we really like them? Because they look frickin cool. lovelove

·
Registered
192 Posts
go to www.360forged.com
the shop is right around the corner from where I work so I'm going to visit them this week and give you guys the info!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
360 forged has some good lookin wheels...have you checked them out as well?

Yup, 360 forged was my first choice but their rep. is no good. The Cfive is in my opinion one of the best looking wheel in the market. Savini is the only other company that I'm aware of that offer CF overlay. Is my information about 360 forged incorrect? Even if it is, theres a 5 to 6 month wait on the CFive's.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I have a question on this CF overlay....how is it done/produced???

Can the CF overlay be done on any 3-piece wheel?...Cost per wheel for this?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I have a question on this CF overlay....how is it done/produced???

Can the CF overlay be done on any 3-piece wheel?...Cost per wheel for this?
No, you can't. There is only two companies that offer it, 360 forged and Savini. I just came back from a Savini factory to examine the craftsmanship and let's say I'm not impressed at all. I can't judge 360 forged because I haven't seen them. Well I guess it back to the drawing board for me. Savini's are definity out! :confused3

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
oh that's too bad....those CF rims look sick!

maybe have to go with the transparent rims!:grinyes:j/k

1 - 18 of 18 Posts