BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman,

so here is a little documentation about the process of my e39 M5 from the first day i got it until today.

This is my 4th e39 M5.. and when i was looking for a new daily driver i came across this 12/98 Silverstone e39 M5 with 191k Kilometers on the clock. So i thought... well if its going to be a daily driver.. why not have a proper car that is loads of fun :) Hell yeah.. so i pulled the trigger on this one.

The first time i saw it i thought.. Oh boy.. what are you getting into again :hihihi: It was sitting in the sun.. parked for about 6 month... and well it wasnt in the condition you would like to see any e39 M5. Faded Paint... a very big and bad patch of rust on the roof.. scratches all over the place, a super faded bootlid with some marks that until today i could not identify what it was LOL. The interior looked like crap... The engine was leaking everywhere where an engine could leak and so on... The car wasnt running pretty well...smoking as hell and the gearbox was wining.. The Drivers seat was twisted.. the dash pixeled up, the AC wasnt working, 3 out of 4 Window lifters weren't working, the rear bumper cracked, Airbag Light, ABS light, DSC light on, All buttons on the steering faded, one fog light included the cover was completely missing, radio and Navi was not working at all, rear sunshade wasnt working either and so on.

The good point was.. it had Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers and a Stoptech Brake Kit on the Front..

So i took it for a drive and after some hard and serious negotiations i handed over the cash and drove away..

So here are the pictures of the day when i saw it

The most important thing was to put the car back mechanically to a point where it is actually drivable, so i took it to my workshop and put it on the lift.. Things got worse...

- Diff Leak
- Gearbox Leak
- Bushings
- Control Arms
- Sensors missing

The list is endless.. basically it looked like it drove 191k kilometers without any maintenance.. Anyway, i expected it since it came for a pretty good deal..

So the first thing was to put the car mechanically back into a state where it was actually driveable..

- Oil and filter change
- Spark Plugs
- Engine Flush
- Fuel system cleaning
- Injector cleaning
- Replaced everything moveable on the front and rear axle :)
- Replaced a couple of sensors
- Polished the Headlights
- Replaced the taillights with Facelift ones
- Repainted the Roof
- Repainted the Bootlid
- Repaired and repainted the Rear Bumper
- Got the whole car detailed and polished
- Adjusted the Bilsteins lower
- Added Eisenmann Race Cans
- Cleaned the whole interior
- Replaced Buttons on the steering wheel
- Tinted the Windows
- Replaced Fan Belt
- Replaced AC Belt
- Repaired the Twisted Seat
- Filled up AC Gas
- Replaced all rubber seals around the Windows
- bought a set of Yellow Fog Lights
- Got a Hamann Style Carbonfiber Frontlip
- Replaced the BMW Badges
- Painted the front Grille in Matte Black
- basically replaced and changed everything that had an issue and the list is almost endless. I am sure i forgot a couple of things

Right now it sits and runs perfect.. ecxept a couple of issues that are left

- Check the Gerabox Wining noise (Probably gonna need a new Gerabox)
- Replace the AC/Radio
- Supersprint X-Pipe is on the Way
- Repair the Pixles
- Ordered Blue CF BMW Badges
- Ordered a new M5 Badge with German Flag
- One Air Flow sensor is gone.. so thinking about Alpha N
- a couple of things here and there

Here are some pictures when it was painted and polished at the Bodyshop

And hear are some pictures when it was finished painting and polished :applause::applause::applause:

And this is how it pretty much sits now at my Shop lovelovelovelovelovelovelovelove

Still looking for a nice set of wheels.. maybe HRE FF01 or Vorsteiner FF-101

TO BE CONTINUED....:M5rev::M5rev::M5rev:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that is actually one thing the previous owner apparantly did... New Vanos :) There is only a slight ticking at Cold start which is normal but the Vanos seems to be in great condition and the car runs strong.. Also zero Fault codes in the DME

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very nice indeed. Hopefully ,you won't have this problem to add to the list but I have noted that when that area on the roof starts to rust,it is usually from the windshield being replaced at some time and the installers scratching the the area where the adhesive seals the glass to the body and not prepping it correctly before putting the new glass in. I recently went to replace my windshield edge trim and found bubbling paint in the same area under the trim (it had not gotten bad enough to see past the trim yet) I now know my glass has been replaced at some time by the P.O. because my old edge trim was stuck into the windshield sealer,which it should not be. Now the new trim won't fully seat . Oh well, I guess it's off to the body shop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0uILa9-J784" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

LOL, sorry man had to do it. Great job on fixing the car up though, the exterior color is rare and very nice.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Definitely looking good. Can you describe the nature of the gearbox leak, and how you fixed it (if you fixed it)? I've got a small one and am still looking into options.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Won't the rust come back? I have a little rust by my driver side taillight and was told, if I want it 100% gone, I would have to cut it out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is awesome! Keep putting up pics! :D

Reactions: simon*X

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0uILa9-J784" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

LOL, sorry man had to do it. Great job on fixing the car up though, the exterior color is rare and very nice.

No probs lol... however i am German but i live in Dubai since almost 10 years:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts