BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Thought I would share my recent purchase and dream almost come true...my 2001 M5 with 71k on the clock.

The car was advertised with a bottom end bearing issue and i bought it with the hope I can save it from the scrapheap!!

Right now to strip that sump off!!

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Nice purchase !

Whereabouts in London are you ?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Welcome to the board and the M5 insanity. Good luck with the engine.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Welcome to the board. Plenty of knowledge here will help you either rebuild or replace your engine. First step is to drop the pans and find out for sure if it needs bearings... unless it's been absolutely verified already?

Glad to see a beautiful and clean M5 will live to see the road again! Good luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Looks in great shape cosmetically. Which seats are those? They look different from any I've seen in an M5.

·
Registered
226 Posts
They are the comfort seats used in the 540i as well. was an option.

·
Registered
278 Posts
They are the comfort seats used in the 540i as well. was an option.
Nice! OP--keep us posted. And I'd love to hear a review of the seats.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sumps haven't been dropped yet however all the telltale signs of big end bearing issues are there. We shall see once I open it up!!

Yes those are comfort seats...I havent really tried them out yet though loll.

The massage function is working fine on both seats however.

The car is absolutely mint so really will try my best to get it back to how it should be!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hi,

Hopefully the purchase price was 'suitably' low(er) to help offset the costs of fixing the engine back up nicely and well !

Recently, there's been a few E39's in the UK that have been picked up by proper enthusiasts - just been speaking to one such guy I know very well and he picked his one up a week ago to complement his E60 M5 ! a couple other's I know of have also been picked up recently for 'fantastic' prices seeing as 'most' of the people who want E39 M5's here in the UK reject ones which don't have certain equipment/options!

Pri831 - congrats on the car, and please do update the thread with your findings both for getting everything fixed and your views on the car itself etc :)

Cheers, Dennis!

Reactions: Pri831

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking at other M5's advertised with similar history mileage etc, I probably paid around half the price which I think is fair.

I've been busy with the kids so not had a chance to do anything apart from lock it up loll.

Hopefully this weekend I can get the sump and oil pump off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stunning colour! I haven't seen an E39 in dark blue before.

All the best for the engine rebuild.
Its actually carbon black...the pics I put up were from the advert where I first saw the car. It was an all white showroom therefore creating some great pics for the camera.

Thx for all the encouragement so far guys

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have same color. It was confusing since the name of the color is Carbon Black, but the car was clearly dark blue. Congrats!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts