BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my 3rd different 5 series and I cannot figure out how to have my F10 save the last climate settings when I get back in the car. Brrrr it's cold up here and I'd love for my seat heaters and steering wheel heater to be left ON like it when I shut off and locked the car.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The car is coded by default to remember the seat heat/cool settings for 15 minutes after the ignition is switched off.
It can be coded to the following possibilities:

0: (no wake) 0 minutes;
1: 15 minutes;
2: 24 hours;
3: infinity (always reactivate);

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I'm on my 3rd different 5 series and I cannot figure out how to have my F10 save the last climate settings when I get back in the car. Brrrr it's cold up here and I'd love for my seat heaters and steering wheel heater to be left ON like it when I shut off and locked the car.

Any suggestions?
Save these settings as a user profile either onto a USB stick or upload to BMW Online. My seat/mirrors/climate control/media settings are all saved & never change unless i alter my profile. Also good that you can pull these settings into any other relevant BMW you may own or drive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Save these settings as a user profile either onto a USB stick or upload to BMW Online. My seat/mirrors/climate control/media settings are all saved & never change unless i alter my profile. Also good that you can pull these settings into any other relevant BMW you may own or drive.
I think the OP is talking about when you stop your car and come back to it in the winter, not when you buy a new car.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I think the OP is talking about when you stop your car and come back to it in the winter, now when you buy a new car.
So was I.

No idea about heated wheel as not an option their's call for in the UK, but the Climate Control in my car comes on at the same temp as it was left as that is saved in my profile along with seats/mirrors & Media set-up. Never tried to see if this includes heated seats but my in car settings don't default when i leave the car, they stay as they were.

·
Registered
756 Posts
So was I.

No idea about heated wheel as not an option their's call for in the UK, but the Climate Control in my car comes on at the same temp as it was left as that is saved in my profile along with seats/mirrors & Media set-up. Never tried to see if this includes heated seats but my in car settings don't default when i leave the car, they stay as they were.
:eek:oohhh: You don't have a heated steering wheel? Seriously! Your carpeting, seats and doors--were they options, too? hiha And joking aside for a second--why on earth would you think that a heated steering wheel isn't relevant in the UK--did you ask everyone (you didn't ask me)? :tonquesmilie: According to BMW.co.uk, a heated steering wheel is a 185-pound a-la-carte option. Anywhere that it gets remotely cold, a heated steering wheel is a joy--I use it quite literally every single time I get in the car (except in the summer time)... which is coincidentally what the OP is asking for--to remember that setting and the fact that he had his heated seats on at say level 2, not just the temperature of the A/C.

netwon is on the money here.

@netwon: do you have the module/setting necessary to code that to infinity? I didn't find it in my cheatsheets but I only took a quick glance...

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
:eek:oohhh: You don't have a heated steering wheel? Seriously! Your carpeting, seats and doors--were they options, too? hiha And joking aside for a second--why on earth would you think that a heated steering wheel isn't relevant in the UK--did you ask everyone (you didn't ask me)? :tonquesmilie: According to BMW.co.uk, a heated steering wheel is a 185-pound a-la-carte option. Anywhere that it gets remotely cold, a heated steering wheel is a joy--I use it quite literally every single time I get in the car (except in the summer time)... which is coincidentally what the OP is asking for--to remember that setting and the fact that he had his heated seats on at say level 2, not just the temperature of the A/C.

netwon is on the money here.

@netwon: do you have the module/setting necessary to code that to infinity? I didn't find it in my cheatsheets but I only took a quick glance...
I didn't say I couldn't opt for a heated steering wheel, just that it's a rarely ticked option in the UK & at best an options for girls who wear driving gloves. My car spends her nights in my heated garage so no need for such delicate options, hell I've only switched my heated seats on a couple of times so far.

As I've said several times, my car retains the settings I know about such as climate, seats, media & mirrors etc. The couple of times I've used my heated seats they've been switched off well before my journey finishes & I don't have (need or want) a heated steering wheelhiha

Maybe to retain those couple of saves requires a recode, but the things I need saving are saved on my Profile & retained.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I didn't say I couldn't opt for a heated steering wheel
Riiiiiight, you said, "No idea about heated wheel as not an option their's call for in the UK"

for girls who wear driving gloves
:byee55amg So anyone who prefers warm hands is now a girl who likes wearing driving gloves? Call me Lisa and buy me a pair of mittens then I guess (no idea where "Lisa" came from hiha)

My car spends her nights in my heated garage so no need for such delicate options
Mine, too... but my hands don't and occasionally they get cold 'cause I'm old--I love the heated steering wheel.

As I've said several times, my car retains the settings I know about such as climate, seats, media & mirrors etc.
I can't say for sure but it's highly unlikely that your car retains heated seats which is the OP's primary question. Specifically, our cars don't retain heated seats, cooled seats, active seats and heated steering wheel once switched off and having been left for over 15 mins and then turned back on--they do retain A/C settings and general profile settings, of course, and on that front, you're absolutely right. The collection of settings I mentioned are not retained from start to start unless the time between starts is less than 15 minutes--that's pretty much the gist of the OP's question, i.e. how to retain them indefinitely. You mentioned that you've only used your heated seats a couple of times so it's likely that you've not tested it.

Maybe to retain those couple of saves requires a recode
Nod, I've just this past hour coded my car and it was setup to retain that collection of settings for only 15 mins. Now it retains them indefinitely so my cold inarticulate hands will be automatically warmed along with my aging butt. :tonquesmilie:

but the things I need saving are saved on my Profile & retained.
Yup, absolutely... but Profile settings and climate-preferences from start to start seem like different things to me.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Riiiiiight, you said, "No idea about heated wheel as not an option their's call for in the UK"

:byee55amg So anyone who prefers warm hands is now a girl who likes wearing driving gloves? Call me Lisa and buy me a pair of mittens then I guess (no idea where "Lisa" came from hiha)

Mine, too... but my hands don't and occasionally they get cold 'cause I'm old--I love the heated steering wheel.

I can't say for sure but it's highly unlikely that your car retains heated seats which is the OP's primary question. Specifically, our cars don't retain heated seats, cooled seats, active seats and heated steering wheel once switched off and having been left for over 15 mins and then turned back on--they do retain A/C settings and general profile settings, of course, and on that front, you're absolutely right. The collection of settings I mentioned are not retained from start to start unless the time between starts is less than 15 minutes--that's pretty much the gist of the OP's question, i.e. how to retain them indefinitely. You mentioned that you've only used your heated seats a couple of times so it's likely that you've not tested it.

Nod, I've just this past hour coded my car and it was setup to retain that collection of settings for only 15 mins. Now it retains them indefinitely so my cold inarticulate hands will be automatically warmed along with my aging butt. :tonquesmilie:

Yup, absolutely... but Profile settings and climate-preferences from start to start seem like different things to me.
Exactly:) I said no call for it in the UK, i didn't say it wasn't available in the UK, just that i know of no-one who's specified it other than a couple of pals with FFRR's (the kind of car in the UK that you'd expect it on);)

I'll try the heated seats thing when i'm next in the car but i thought the OP mentioned Climate Control too which is certainly retained after long periods away from the car.

Glad you'll now be toasty in your car & the OP's questions (& dreams) are now fulfilled.

On that note i wish everyone a very warm & Merry Christmas:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
Exactly:) I said no call for it in the UK, i didn't say it wasn't available in the UK, just that i know of no-one who's specified it other than a couple of pals with FFRR's (the kind of car in the UK that you'd expect it on);)

I'll try the heated seats thing when i'm next in the car but i thought the OP mentioned Climate Control too which is certainly retained after long periods away from the car.

Glad you'll now be toasty in your car & the OP's questions (& dreams) are now fulfilled.

On that note i wish everyone a very warm & Merry Christmas:)
Merry Christmas back at ya! :2:

That took me a while to figure out what FFRR meant... I finally found it, though... too funny! I guess mine's a FFM5 (which sounds surprisingly cool) :tonquesmilie:.

PS: for those also wondering what FFRR means, it's another classic term from the UK--"Full Fat Range Rover"--which is apparently the name that folks in England who drive the high-end Range Rovers use to differentiate themselves from those who drive mere Land Rovers. I think that's the gist of it but w8pmc will have to say for sure since I've been gone wayyyy too long to know, in fact, that's the first time I've ever heard it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the great feedback - So if I understand you correctly I have have my car coded to retain the last settings when I shut it down to indefinitely so that when I return they start right back where I left them (nice and toasty). Correct?

·
Registered
756 Posts
You might wanna wait on that one--when I jumped in the car this afternoon, the heated-seats weren't on... I'd swear I left them on this morning when I got out of the car so, once I've tested it again, I may be confirming a problem. :(

·
Registered
756 Posts
You might wanna wait on that one--when I jumped in the car this afternoon, the heated-seats weren't on... I'd swear I left them on this morning when I got out of the car so, once I've tested it again, I may be confirming a problem. :(
OK, that's fixed now and the heated seats are retaining their state. Here's the coding required (note the emboldened text):

Module: SM (there are two SM CAFs, edit both [6d] and [6e])
Function: 3000 SM_GLOBAL
Parameters: SA_MEMORY_ZEIT
Values: NEW: "Wert_Dauer" | NEW: "Werte=03"
0: (no wake) 0 minutes
1: 15 minutes
2: 24 hours
3: infinity (always reactivate)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Merry Christmas back at ya! :2:

That took me a while to figure out what FFRR meant... I finally found it, though... too funny! I guess mine's a FFM5 (which sounds surprisingly cool) :tonquesmilie:.

PS: for those also wondering what FFRR means, it's another classic term from the UK--"Full Fat Range Rover"--which is apparently the name that folks in England who drive the high-end Range Rovers use to differentiate themselves from those who drive mere Land Rovers. I think that's the gist of it but w8pmc will have to say for sure since I've been gone wayyyy too long to know, in fact, that's the first time I've ever heard it.
That's basically it & nowadays in the UK with so many different RR variants such as the baby Evoque & the new Discovery. I believe it was originally targeted towards those who had the RRS & more so nowadays when from a distance the FFRR & RRS look so similar but the FFRR is & always will be the Daddy amongst its upstart cousins.

Back to the topic though, don't forget the o/p's thread/question stated 'Climate Settings' & these as i said are saved on the F10 M5 when you switch the car off (i believe it's saved on the key) & they're also saved on the 'Drivers Profile'. I accept this doesn't appear to include the heated seats/wheel but the question was 'Climate Settings' & these are saved:)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Please explain this to me, I'm stupid.
It is a reference to someone who is familiar with coding settings on the F10 series of BMW. They represent the different options for retaining settings certain HVAC settings when the car is turned off. From never to always. If you search "f10 coding" in BMW forums there are lots of good information for new people. All that is required is Windows 7 or XP based computer and a 25 dollar cable you can acquire on ebay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts