BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All.

I've searched the forums, but still not clear as to best way to install satellite radio on my 2003 M5. A lot of posts seemed related to 00/01 models, so not sure if 03 models provide any advantages. Any input would be appreciated.

1. Does either XM or Sirius provide better content.
2. I would like to have clean install.
3. Using existing Nav Unit and being able to control through it would be nice.
3.5. If I use existing Nav Unit for control, do I lose any features from CD or from Satelite (ie: not seeing artists, etc).
4. If I have to go to seperate head unit for the sat, what is best one, and what is best way to integrate into existing system.

I have no other audio upgrades yet. I may do amp and some speakers in the future. I do not care if I lose DSP, as it seems pretty crappy anyway.

Thanks again,
Vic

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
vvanherk said:
Hey All.

I've searched the forums, but still not clear as to best way to install satellite radio on my 2003 M5. A lot of posts seemed related to 00/01 models, so not sure if 03 models provide any advantages. Any input would be appreciated.

1. Does either XM or Sirius provide better content.
2. I would like to have clean install.
3. Using existing Nav Unit and being able to control through it would be nice.
3.5. If I use existing Nav Unit for control, do I lose any features from CD or from Satelite (ie: not seeing artists, etc).
4. If I have to go to seperate head unit for the sat, what is best one, and what is best way to integrate into existing system.

I have no other audio upgrades yet. I may do amp and some speakers in the future. I do not care if I lose DSP, as it seems pretty crappy anyway.

Thanks again,
Vic
1. It's debatable depending what you like. Sirius is going to be adding stern if you wanna hear his shows. (personal opinions here)...I think xm is a little more hard core with it's rap music, sirius is more main stream. More mix of pop music on sirius and some talk shows I give the advantage to them there. Playboy is on XM. NFL is on Sirius. Over all I give the entertainment to sirius good value and mix.

2. Plenty of places to put the peices you dont' have to have them laying around, find a good installer and tell him where you want it and it can be flushed into any panel or place.

3. no problem

4. The so called head unit is in the trunk the moniter is not a headunit that people refer to it as. You don't have to lose that at all.

I recomend you find a good local dealer in your area, unless its a rare place you need to stay away from the chains...Some do have good installers most don't. Start there and talk with them that willl give you a better idea and you can listen to each in the shop.

Where do you live i might be able to suggest sombody.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I was in your position just a few months ago. I was torn as to which method would deliver the best results. Since you have a 03, you are pretty much already there for OEM implementation. First thing you will have to do is take yoru car in to your local dealer and complain of your radio going "from stereo to mono". It's very important that you use those specific words, as there is a service measure that will give you a new radio (which has the abililty for OEM sirius). Once you have the new radio, purchase the sirius module for the 3 series with nav. (The one for the 5 series will not work, as it's designed for a NON navigation system). I recommend getting it from Crevier, as Vaheh is a good guy to deal with. Circle has cheaper prices I think, but require a VIN before they will sell you the part. Once you get all the right parts, the hardest part is where you want to put the antenna. Since I have a rear sunshade, I had to put it on top of the parcel shelf. (I didn't want it outside my car). I suffer no drop out from being inside, nor underneath the shade. There was a guy on the Roadfly forum, Mike Ernst, that put it under the rear shelf for complete sleeper appeal.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jayson said:
1. It's debatable depending what you like. Sirius is going to be adding stern if you wanna hear his shows. (personal opinions here)...I think xm is a little more hard core with it's rap music, sirius is more main stream. More mix of pop music on sirius and some talk shows I give the advantage to them there. Playboy is on XM. NFL is on Sirius. Over all I give the entertainment to sirius good value and mix.

2. Plenty of places to put the peices you dont' have to have them laying around, find a good installer and tell him where you want it and it can be flushed into any panel or place.

3. no problem

4. The so called head unit is in the trunk the moniter is not a headunit that people refer to it as. You don't have to lose that at all.

I recomend you find a good local dealer in your area, unless its a rare place you need to stay away from the chains...Some do have good installers most don't. Start there and talk with them that willl give you a better idea and you can listen to each in the shop.

Where do you live i might be able to suggest sombody.
Hey Jason.

I live in Caledonia, Ontario Canada. About 30 Km from Hamilton, and 100 Km from Toronto. I know a couple of non-chain places that might be good, but if you know anybody, that would be great.

So, if the head unit can go in the trunk, do I need anything installed for a controller, or will existing nav-unit be able to control everything, and show all information that an external monitor would show?

Also, how difficult to install? I'm fairly savy regarding electronics and have installed stereos into previous cars (just Iroc's and Z28s, etc). I'm not real keen on cutting into interior on this one though, so if required I would leave that to the pros.

Thanks again for your help

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
El Mono................

Would you be kind enough to write back with a step by step guide to do this installation for a guy such as myself, limited in technical know how.
If you did this mod yourself, I' and Im sure others on this board would truly appreciate it if you'd do a list of step # 1, step # 2 and so on with what is needed, part number(s) and procedure for doing the Sirius installation.
Thank you.
Robert :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Re: El Mono................

Roof Antenna Kit 84 11 0 141 979
Installation Kit 84 11 0 141 975
CD Changer Extension Cable 84 11 0 150 526
Sirius Receiver 84 11 0 153 365

The installation is VERY easy, so easy that I didn't even bother with taking pictures during the install. (I installed the bluetooth module as well, and it was even easier than that).

http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/5486324-1.html

Is what Mike did to mount the antenna underneath the deck.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
One more question El Mono............

First off, thanks for indicating the necessary hardware to do this upgrade.
Last, my question is, My car has a production date of Jan. 03, so do you think I already have the required head unit or do I still have to get the radio changed by the dealer by means of complaining about it???
Thanks a lot.
Robert :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a my 02 does is tehre a reason to think it might have the same stereo/mono problem and if so, what would the dealer do?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
vvanherk said:
Hey Jason.

I live in Caledonia, Ontario Canada. About 30 Km from Hamilton, and 100 Km from Toronto. I know a couple of non-chain places that might be good, but if you know anybody, that would be great.

So, if the head unit can go in the trunk, do I need anything installed for a controller, or will existing nav-unit be able to control everything, and show all information that an external monitor would show?

Also, how difficult to install? I'm fairly savy regarding electronics and have installed stereos into previous cars (just Iroc's and Z28s, etc). I'm not real keen on cutting into interior on this one though, so if required I would leave that to the pros.

Thanks again for your help
Sorry It took me a couple days to get back with you I was at the track today. What you will need to look at if you wanna upgrade the "head unit" really would be the stock radio and the cd changer, severel ways to do this. I'd talk with who will ever install the stuff for you. Depending what they sell what you want and all it's gonna vary a bit. I could write up a couple of pages and only 3 sentences would acually apply to a given situation.

Not to familer with shops in ontario sadly. There was one who's work i knew but i forget the name now.

How tuff to install? Well gonna vary, i'd start with the talk with your local shop and see what your ideal setup is and go from there and judge.

·
10,445 Posts
Guys, I retrofitted factory bmw sirius to my 00 M5. I essentially followed the instructions on www.bmwnav.com . That site has changed a bit, but if you follow the Mk4 dvd nav link, you'll find a 'retrofit' page which has a rough install guide for sirius.

For you 03 guys, you need the latest radio unit, with correct firmware (part number on martins web site). You MAY need an updated nav computer, i installed a mk4 dvd nav computer about 8 months ago, and it worked fine. I just cleaned up the install, using the correct e39 bracket to mount the sirius unit, and I also added the AUX Input harness, just in case.
A quick rundown of the install:
1. Swap radio unit (assuming you didn' t get the dealer to do this already). This is where having an 03 makes it easy, should all just plug right in. 00 and 01's will need 2 adapter harnesses from bmw, and one you can easily fabricate yourself.
2. Mount sirius unit. Sirius unit is powered by the cables that go into the cd changer. there is then a jumper that goes from sirius to cd so you get to retain the cd changer.
3. Mount antenna. I initially put mine on the package shelf, but i seemed to loose the signal every time I drove under a tree, so mine is on the roof.
I'll try to attatch a few pics below. Sorry, they're big, need to resize next time.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
My build date is 02/03 and I had to get a new radio. It's really a non issue. If you are under warranty I strongly suggest getting the service measure applied. It fixes the stereo to mono problem (if you listen to broadcast radio) and it gives you updated firmware which will allow you to get sirius. [Also it will allow you to get the aux input kit if you so desire]

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
El Mono or Jason...........

Okay, Im clear as to what needs to be done in order to get the Sirius radio system put into the car. Here is a good question and hopefully someone will have the answer. I recently had a DVD changer installed into the car, and so the NAV screen plays DVD movies. I did not have the stereo shop install the BMW OEM tv tuner, since this thought this is a waist of money, being that you can't see/watch clear images as the car moves. I watched the installer do the job as he did the DVD changer installation. He plugged a small size jack into the back of the BMW radio unit, since the radio has a "AUX" jack input, located at the back of the radio. By doing this, the DVD sound is in true stereo. My point in telling you this is, that input AUX jack is already being used for the DVD player. Is this AUX input jack needed for the Sirius installation, and requires plugging into the same AUX input jack?
If the answer is yes, then how do I have the DVD player system and the Sirius system plugged into the very same AUX input jack located at the back of the BMW radio???
Thanks guys! :confused2

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Re: El Mono or Jason...........

FAST 5 said:
Okay, Im clear as to what needs to be done in order to get the Sirius radio system put into the car. Here is a good question and hopefully someone will have the answer. I recently had a DVD changer installed into the car, and so the NAV screen plays DVD movies. I did not have the stereo shop install the BMW OEM tv tuner, since this thought this is a waist of money, being that you can't see/watch clear images as the car moves. I watched the installer do the job as he did the DVD changer installation. He plugged a small size jack into the back of the BMW radio unit, since the radio has a "AUX" jack input, located at the back of the radio. By doing this, the DVD sound is in true stereo. My point in telling you this is, that input AUX jack is already being used for the DVD player. Is this AUX input jack needed for the Sirius installation, and requires plugging into the same AUX input jack?
If the answer is yes, then how do I have the DVD player system and the Sirius system plugged into the very same AUX input jack located at the back of the BMW radio???
Thanks guys! :confused2
If you got or have a dvd player or changer that also plays music you can dump the stock changer and use that as your primary source, and mix and match cd's or dvds, and then use the aux for the sirius.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have on 01 and got the dealer to do the upgrade on the radio for the mono issue - I got the updated DVD Nav from Martin. So now I need Sirius. Question is will my CD changer still work after the upgrade - some say they lose this???

-Jeff
[email protected]

·
10,445 Posts
FAST 5: THe aux jack and sirius input are separate. I just wired in the aux input today, no effect on sirius. The sirius wiring is this: 3 and 6 pin connectors that currently go to cd changer go into sirius. Jumper plugs into siriius unit, then that becomes a new 3 adn 6 pin connector for the cd changer, which then answers the last question.

NoLift911: you still retain cd changer function, with the factory sirius kit.
Mike

·
Registered
259 Posts
this is good news - when do people lose the CD/changer functionality.

Is the stuff listed on Martin's site the "factory kit" assuming it is not specifically for an e39...

·
10,445 Posts
Nolift911 said:
this is good news - when do people lose the CD/changer functionality.

Is the stuff listed on Martin's site the "factory kit" assuming it is not specifically for an e39...
Yeah, i'm referring to the part numbers on martins site as "factory" even though there is technically no official e39 with nav kit.

From what i've read, you'd loose cd changer function if you go aftermarket and use one of the 'blitzsafe' type adapters. This would allow an aftermarket xm or sirius kit to play thru a line connection into the factory system. You would "tune" to cd, then use the aftermarket remote for functions.
You also loose cd capabilities if you get the bmw i pod kit (different than aux input). Not sure if that can work with our cars, but I think it probably could be wired in, in place of the cd changer input in the trunk radio.
Mike

·
Registered
235 Posts
The sirius module loops through the cd changer. A weird side affect is that while listening to the sirius, your cd changer will continue to play.

·
10,445 Posts
El_Mono said:
The sirius module loops through the cd changer. A weird side affect is that while listening to the sirius, your cd changer will continue to play.
I am so glad you mentioned this. I have had my sirius functioning for about 2 weeks now, and just used the cd player (actually, mine is replaced with a phatbox unit) because my boys wanted to hear a specific song the other night (song 2, by blur, they call it the M5 song because of the bmwfilm, star). I later went back to sirius and again later back to phatbox only to find it a few cd's later. I thought i'd messed up something in my harnesses!
Thanks!
Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts