BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I hope I have posted this in the right section.

I have a dec '99 M5, with BMW business tape and hi obc, 6 cd changer and upgraded HI-fi (NO dsp)

I have plumbed in a sat nav loom from a '98 523i se with Mk2 nav, TV and radio module (the car came with a phone but I have not purchased this).

I currently have the Bordmonitor working fully, radio, cd changer control, TV and NAV (not tested tape). The issue is no sound apart from a very weak radio signal (i have to manually tune this and it is poor - all four speakers work). No sound whatsoever on the CD/Nav/TV.

After the first install the Nav CD drive was dead. I found this plug;

The white one (circled) between the nav plugs and the TV/Trimble plugs. I plugged this into this;

This plug was on the loom supplied and the three wires ran into the main loomup the RHS of the car. After plugging the nav into this is sprang into life but will not switch off with the ignition. Although this has powered the nav, I am having second thoughts about whether this is correct.

So I currently have no sound or amplifed radio signal and my nav won't switch off with the ignition.

HELP!!!

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
try bimmernavs website, i purchased my bluetooth upgrdes from them and there was access to the instructions there for Sat Nav as well. You can even buy parts you might be missing IE mic upgrade, speaker amplifier, etc

It might help:byebye:

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The Nav does NOT turn off with the ignition. Most electronic components in the car use the lack of iBus messages to determine when they should power down. If you turn off the ignition and leave the boot open you should see the Nav power down after 1 minute as long as you don't touch anything.

If you have sound, all be it just fussy interference, then the radio output connections to the amp/speakers are correct. You should be looking at the input side - the two small components of the square multi plug. Here is the pin out for the round pin radio (BM24 as shown in your pictures).

It would be worth testing the tape input as this may help you determine what is wrong.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I knew RichardP would be along, we're saved!

My nav starts whurring and clicking when I open the boot. Sometimes it even shows me the CD!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RIght, I have had another stab at it.

I think i had the wires the wrong way round, with the tv and the nav blue connector sockets.

I have swapped these around and I now have sound from the CD player and radio (althogh signal still weak), nav is working, however the TV is kaput, the option is there to select it but when selected the BordM freezes.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
The connections should be :

Main loom blue connector into the Tv module.
White connector into TV module.
Blue connector daisy chained from TV white connector, into Nav computer.

If you have the TV and Nav connections the wrong way round then the monitor may appear to crash as the Nav video signal will be displayed but all control will be going to the TV module. Pressing the 'Menu' button should bring the main menu back up.

Nav audio goes through the TV, so if the TV module is duff or not connected correctly you will not get Nav audio. CD Changer audio does not go through these connections, so the fact that you now have CDC audio is not directly related to changing the blue plugs over.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I believe there are two types of antenna amp, one that is independently powered and one that requires power down the coax. If you have the coax powered version of the amp and a radio that is expecting a powerd amp then you will get a poor signal as the antenna amp will not be working.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I believe there are two types of antenna amp, one that is independently powered and one that requires power down the coax. If you have the coax powered version of the amp and a radio that is expecting a powerd amp then you will get a poor signal as the antenna amp will not be working.
I think you're right. I think the "virgin" nav retrofit kits might come with these.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: (ready?)

Richard, the blue and pink sockets plugged into the nav unit are now from the nav loom, and the blue socket from the bordM loom is now back in the TV.

I am currently getting CD sound, radio sound with poor reception.

TV picture no sound and NAV display but no sound.

The aerial cable from the BM24 to the c-pillar amp is NOT carrying 12v.

Any ideas whats going wrong?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Nav and TV sound both come out through the blue plug. The Nav audio goes through the TV into the radio. So, if you have no sound for both TV and Nav try connecting the blue plug from the TV into the Nav, do not connect the blue plug that should connect to the Nav to anything. Do you have Nav sound? If you do, the problem is with the TV module. If you do not then the problem is likely to be the connection between the blue plug that the Nav is now connected to (which is the TV plug) and the radio module. As you have had intermittent CD Changer audio, have a very good look at the two small sub-connectors in the main square radio block, make sure the pins and plugs are clean. This connection is directly under the left rear light cluster, the cluster gasket can perish and start to leak, it then drips watter onto the connection which will cause problems.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update.

TV and nav sound are still not working, but for the time being I will be more than happy with cd player and radio reception. (tv is little more than a gimmick imo and nav can be useful without sound).

Now with the radio recption my FM anntena (LHS c-pillar) has its full compliments of 12v feeds and aerials but I am getting poor reception and it is driving me nuts!

Is there a solutions with the standard kit or maybe an aftermarket aerial?

any help much appriecated before I use the FBH to fix it.... :)

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Olly, did you get chance to try out RichardP's suggestions? This chap is the go-to guy for anything nav/audio etc. and he'll get you sorted. :)

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Now with the radio recption my FM anntena (LHS c-pillar) has its full compliments of 12v feeds and aerials but I am getting poor reception and it is driving me nuts!
Could you take a picture of the C pillar antenna showing all the connections to it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One more point to add.

On the RHS c-pillar, the second connector from the left has a white cable with a yellow stripe. I haven't been able to confirm 100% but this seems to end up at the LHS rear light cluster. It seems a co-incident that I now have the rear LHS brake light out?

I cannot imagine why the aerial amp and the brake lights would be linked. Someone please tell me I am going mad.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Those are definitely the diversity amps.

See

Single parts f antenna-diversity BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62)

It's likely that the white and yellow wire goes to the box near the left hand brake light (no idea what it is, maybe just a distribution box?), not the brake light itself.

I would say that the radio module you have is not coded (or compatible) with the diversity system and you'll either need it coded (if that's possible) or another unit.

What type of radio do you have, BM54 or BM24?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Those are definitely the diversity amps.

See

Single parts f antenna-diversity BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62)

It's likely that the white and yellow wire goes to the box near the left hand brake light (no idea what it is, maybe just a distribution box?), not the brake light itself.

I would say that the radio module you have is not coded (or compatible) with the diversity system and you'll either need it coded (if that's possible) or another unit.

What type of radio do you have, BM54 or BM24?
BM24.

The white and yellow wire goes to the connector on the back of the rear lights.

The aerials should be compatible as they came with the sat nav kit out of the donor car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts