BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been through loads of search threads on installation of the nav loom
i acquired a full system mk3 wide screen with tv module and all wiring today,its on its way.
i cant see any threads that detail the positioning of the installation of parts or loom just partial pics.
if i can get some help i will do a fully detailed fitting thread or vid edit for anyone that requires it later
its not a retrofit kit so will be a big *** job and all interior out like i have read,just need a heads up on undercarpet
rear shelf and all the bits to help me install it...thanks H

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have been through loads of search threads on installation of the nav loom
i acquired a full system mk3 wide screen with tv module and all wiring today,its on its way.
i cant see any threads that detail the positioning of the installation of parts or loom just partial pics.
if i can get some help i will do a fully detailed fitting thread or vid edit for anyone that requires it later
its not a retrofit kit so will be a big *** job and all interior out like i have read,just need a heads up on undercarpet
rear shelf and all the bits to help me install it...thanks H
I did a full retrofit nav system on my 530 that did not have nav from the factory. I'm not sure I understand though why you need to install the main harness if that's what your referring to? If you have the factory nav now you just need to swap the screen and computer and there might be some other stuff involved but you don't need to replace the main harness that runs from the computer to the screen. I can't speak for the TV but I assume that everything connects in the rear.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply,i must have written it wrong.
like yourself i have no factory nav system fitted as standard from the factory,just the radio so its a full refit im doing from a donor car.
shame i couldnt have done and removed it myself.
so any pointers as to loom positioning and where the tv modules live its more the unseen parts and rooting of the loom
i have added parts before so removed rear seats and passed cables down the side of the car into the trunk but thats all.

thanks dan

·
Registered
171 Posts
For starters I would find an MKIV. MKIV is already going on 8 years old (??) and the MKIII is even older. When mine was done all the trunk trim was removed as well as the rear shelf, C pillars, rear seat both top and bottom cushion and lower bolts for the 3 seat belts, door sills, lower B pillers, drivers seat (assuming you have left hand drive) and seat belt needs disconnected, lower dash. The console needs loosened up at all fastening points so you can tuck the loom up under it. The new loom can be routed right next to the existing loom unless you want to pull it out. From the left side of the trunk it's routed through an opening into the upper rear seat down to the lower seat under the carpet, under the seat. You will see the path of the existing loom and you can strap it to that or as mentioned remove the existing one.

I didn't do the install and that's about all I remember but I think I could do it now. You also have to connect the gps antenna up in the C-pillar area or maybe it was under the rear shelf. There is a designated spot for it. One thing I probably would need help on is there were a couple wires that went somewhere. One I think was the speed sensor and can't remember the others.

Not much help but wanted to give you an idea of what's ahead of you. Can't help on the TV but I assume this is an easy install on the right rear side. Here is a link here with lots of info. There is tons of info if you google "BMW navigation retrofit E39" or something of that nature. Look here, one of the links even has the BMW TIS install instructions!

BMW Navigation Retrofit - Bimmernav BMW Upgrades

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks lads,that should be a big help ,if i get mega stuck i can ask..again
will let you know how i get on.

dan

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Wait - you have a vehicle with no nav system in it and you are planning on ripping it apart to install a MK3? C'mon, really? I cannot think of any other exercise that is more likely to result in disappointment at the end... Putting in a MK4 would be marginally better, but honestly, for the effort, you should seriously consider aftermarket.

d-

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wait - you have a vehicle with no nav system in it and you are planning on ripping it apart to install a MK3? C'mon, really? I cannot think of any other exercise that is more likely to result in disappointment at the end... Putting in a MK4 would be marginally better, but honestly, for the effort, you should seriously consider aftermarket.

d-
I agree. I thought all M5's had nav? Maybe were talking a 5 series. Yes I would do the MKIV minimum if you have all the parts and got them fairly inexpensive. Would probably go with that new Dynavin unit at this stage of your cars life. I did my virgin retrofit when my car was about a year and a half old but if I knew then what I know now I wouldn't have done it. Easier said now but it's just not that great of a system. On the flip side it does look clean. Some say it looks dated but I think it looks pretty good still and keeping that "factory" look to me was a must.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i agree in so many ways lads,had this beasty 6 years now but always wanted an upgrade as the radio looks dull
compared with the oem display unit,i have been looking a while at aftermarket units.
i want to keep the oem look and have a bit more faith and have the ability if it breaks that i can replace parts the jap units in 5 years
will probably fail and i will be stuck buying another unit or worse.
the mk3 is temporary 100% going to upgrade it, was just what was available at the time as a complete kit for the right price..
my car is never going to be sold its my old age project when i get there...its on 42,000 miles so hopefully alot of life left in it.

dan

1 - 10 of 10 Posts