BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

I have a question about the rear bumper fitment on my M5. The dealer replaced some park distance sensors and had the bumper off and for some reason the rear fitment looks like it has too big of a gap. I know there is a gap on the rear where the bumper meets the body but not sure how big it should be.

Also on the sides it looks like the gap is different. Tight near the fender wells and then gets bigger to match the gap in the rear.

I search for some closeups of other M5's and could not tell for sure so here are some pics and maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I found the bolts to remove the rear bumper and assume the adjustment is no big deal - rather do myself than deal with the dealer again. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Being that I wash and wax mine often, this does not look right to me. I know that I cannot get a microfiber towel between the bumper and the body. But then again, as I look at the pictures, it doesn't look as bad as I originally thought.

Take a look at my pics below - I don't have PDC, but that shouldn't matter in my opinion.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Nolift, that looks like what I have in terms of gap -- both the size and the tapering from the bumper forward to the wheel well. On my car, the gaps along the bumper also are a little different left/right. Not really noticeable unless you really look for it or run a finger along the gap.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ha - I knew I could count on straight answer...the pics of your car look similiar to mine - I think...:confused3

Had I not been inspecting for damage and a shotty job I am sure I would have never noticed.

So you can't get a towel in the gap - I can on mine but from you pics it looks like you could too unless you are using super fatty micro fiber towels :eek:

I know the bumpers do not sit like this on the regular 5 series they are flush at least from others I have looked at.

Is there adjustment in these bumpers - from the install instructions it looks like 3 plastic rivets in the fender wells (no adjustment there or really needed)
and three bolts at the rear bulkhead - doesn't look like room for adjustment.

Anyone else have pics to compare (and thanks for the pics SCORPIO) they look similiar but still not convinced...

-Jeff

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3/8 seems close...is that gap different on the sides?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Nolift911 said:
All -

I have a question about the rear bumper fitment on my M5. The dealer replaced some park distance sensors and had the bumper off and for some reason the rear fitment looks like it has too big of a gap. I know there is a gap on the rear where the bumper meets the body but not sure how big it should be.

Also on the sides it looks like the gap is different. Tight near the fender wells and then gets bigger to match the gap in the rear.
QUOTE]

I just took a look at mine and believe your rear bumper gap is much too big. Take a look at the rear pic on my car. I don't think it is even 3/8's.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kcdoyle said:
Nolift911 said:
All -

QUOTE]

I just took a look at mine and believe your rear bumper gap is much too big. Take a look at the rear pic on my car. I don't think it is even 3/8's.
Where is your pic -

As for adjustment is there any? Didn't seem like much movement in it

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ok...here we go. The first picture was taken the way my car was when I bought it (used CPO car). I thought too that the gap was very large. Probably replaced at some point in time since I believe the prior owner was hit. Anyway, The second picture is the way it is now....after a bumper replacement (someone hit me in a parking lot so I got a new bumper). Notice the gap is smaller now. I can verify this because I can't quite fit my wash rag in there as much as I could before. I prefer it this way but I'm not sure either way is wrong.

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
boostmiser said:
Ok...here we go. The first picture was taken the way my car was when I bought it (used CPO car). I thought too that the gap was very large. Probably replaced at some point in time since I believe the prior owner was hit. Anyway, The second picture is the way it is now....after a bumper replacement (someone hit me in a parking lot so I got a new bumper). Notice the gap is smaller now. I can verify this because I can't quite fit my wash rag in there as much as I could before. I prefer it this way but I'm not sure either way is wrong.

BEFORE

AFTER

Yeah that is no gap...hmmm. Well there must be a way to fit the bumper better than I guess I will dive in and see what is up...anyone know if the fasteners in the fender well are replaceable as in I can remove and then reinstall - I know some of them are not...

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
s62fan said:
Is that a real Delaware liscense plate?
Yes ... and no:
It's a real (black/white) Delaware plate but I photoshopped the extra zero's over the real numbers. Delaware plates actually start at 1. The Governor has 1 and some other state officials have 2 and 3. Beyond that, it's how much you want to pay for a low tag number. Two and Three digits can go for $10,000 plus. Four digits are a few thosand and so on. Legally th ehighest number black tag you can have is 86999. The story behind this is; during WWII, steel was needed for the war effort. Delaware went to a porcelain tag. At that time, the highest number plate was 86999. After the war, they went back to steel plates (blue and gold) but for historical purposes let you keep or replicate the black tags if under the number 86999.

Oh, and notice my little handle under the plate....to keep the finger prints off the trunk (boot)

·
Registered
240 Posts
boostmiser said:
Yes ... and no:
It's a real (black/white) Delaware plate but I photoshopped the extra zero's over the real numbers. Delaware plates actually start at 1. The Governor has 1 and some other state officials have 2 and 3. Beyond that, it's how much you want to pay for a low tag number. Two and Three digits can go for $10,000 plus. Four digits are a few thosand and so on. Legally th ehighest number black tag you can have is 86999. The story behind this is; during WWII, steel was needed for the war effort. Delaware went to a porcelain tag. At that time, the highest number plate was 86999. After the war, they went back to steel plates (blue and gold) but for historical purposes let you keep or replicate the black tags if under the number 86999.

Oh, and notice my little handle under the plate....to keep the finger prints off the trunk (boot)

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I never knew the real story behind those little plates.

Eric

·
Registered
76 Posts
Nolift911 said:
All -

I search for some closeups of other M5's and could not tell for sure so here are some pics and maybe you guys can tell me what you think. I found the bolts to remove the rear bumper and assume the adjustment is no big deal - rather do myself than deal with the dealer again. Any help appreciated.
The gap looks too big to me. You (or the dealer) can adjust the gap. Inside the trunk under and a bit inside of each rear tail lamp there are 3 nuts which attach the bumper to the bumper shock mounts. You may have to remove the center trim piece at the back of the trunk to get to all three nuts.

Just loosen all three nuts on both sides and you can lift up on the bumper to move the bumper up/down until the gap is what it should be. Once you have the gap to the size you want it, retighten the nuts while holding the bumper in place. See picture...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Nolift911 said:
All -

Also on the sides it looks like the gap is different. Tight near the fender wells and then gets bigger to match the gap in the rear...
It looks fine to me. The shadow makes the gap look to big. It looks exactly like yours. I can stick my key in the gap on back, but not by the fender. Yours looks the same.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts