BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

San Francisco/Silicon Valley M5 Drive

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  greg 
#1 ·
OK. Its time.

Let's go for a drive, Sunday, May 21. I propose that we meet for lunch at Duarte's - on Pescadero Road, about 1 mile in from the coast. This is a funky old place with great food. They are known around the area for their fresh artichokes and their homemade pies.

But the best part will be getting there. There are many ways, but they're all great:

From San Francisco: Hwy 1 all the way to Pescadero Road.

From the South Bay - up from Hwy 9 or, if you're a bit further north, Alpine Road to Skyline (35). Alpine Road becomes Pescadero Road and makes its way all the way to the coast. From El Camino, it's probably over 20 miles of twisties and VERY twisties.

Or go about 5 miles further north on 35 (a beautiful section of road) and meet up with us at Alice's - then down 84 (see below.)

From the mid-peninsula - quickest is out 92 to the coast on HWY 1, but I plan to go up 92, and south on 35 to 84 (aka Woodside Road.) I will stop for coffee at the famed Alice's Restaurant (this isn't the one in the old Arlo Guthrie song, this is the one where all the bikers hang out on the weekends) at about 10:30 AM - leave there at 11:15 for the rocket ride down the rest of 84 to the coast. Anyone who wants to meet up there - fine with me.

I have SOME email addresses of people who might be interested, but not sure I have all. I would appreciate RSVPs so I can make a reservation at Duarte's. SO - feel free to use the board, but let's not clutter it - you can also email me - best for this will be my work address: greg@corp.phone.com. I will keep everyone posted via email, with occassional updates here for those that didn't find out until late.

OK?

/Greg

See less See more
#2 ·
A few people have already said they have to work it out with wife and family - perfectly OK to bring them along. I will have my 11 year old son with me. There's enough traffic at that time that you may not get a lot of spirited driving in anyway - although I'm sure there will be some chances...
If you haven't driven these roads before, you WILL be back.

(Still, let me know some time next week if you're coming and how many I should expect just for reservations purposes.)

/G

#3 ·
Hi Greg,
I'll try to be at Alice's in the am to "convoy" over for lunch. Thanks for getting the M5'ers togther.

#4 ·
Any other Bay Area M5'ers coming??? I've spoken with Greg off line and there are 4 or 5 others interested/probable. Let's try get a good bunch togther. The Bay Area must have one of the highest, if not THE highest density of E39 M5's in the country! Should be at least as much fun as the Highpoint trip on the East coast.

#5 ·
Any more going??

(Greg, I'm trying)

#6 ·
Myself and one other E34 owner are probrably going. I have an email list of Bay Area M5 owners (all years) but I don't want to overwhelm Greg so I want to let him run the show.

#7 ·
So far we have 5 probables - KKelly, Bobafett, CDye, BEHR and myself.

Cayce Ullman and Mike Gould cannot make it.

I haven't heard from anyone else.

Around about Thursday I'd like to hear from y'all again about number in your party and I'll make the reservation in Duarte's. Won't be cast in concrete but at least we'll be in the ballpark.

Cheers -

#10 ·
Hell yes!!!!

Interesting. I'll be at a wedding Saturday too. In Monterey/Carmel. Email me if you need better directions - the ones in the original post might be a little vague for you. Also, I'd appreciate your letting me know if you're sure, and if you'll have anyone with you.

Thanks - looking forward to meeting everyone.

/Greg

#15 ·
Hey guys,
I had an E39 540-6spd too with Dinan Chip and intake before my M5. It was NOT slow by any means. A great intro to the M5, not exactly training wheels. But a lot of fun too.

#17 ·
Count me in ... I'll be attending in my Black E39 M5 (w/Sportive Imola Red Interior).

I'll try and make Alice's in the am for the convoy.

Later, Brutus.

#19 ·
<font color=red size=+2 face=arial,helvetica>Gentlemen: Start Your Engines.</font>

Here's the Friday Evening Update as promised:

E39's:
Greg Heumann + 1
Chas. Dye
Brutus
Barry Behr

E34's
Kevin Kelly + 2
KLittle
Another friend of KKelly's yet unnamed

Cayce Ullman, Mike Gould, Daniyal Kaleem aka bobafett affirmed they could not come.

K Kelley reminds us:

"I would anticipate 3 E34 owners including me. One with a 350hp+ engine
(cams, 3.8 throttle bodies, etc.). See you Sunday. Remind everyone about
Woodside and radar traps. If it says 25mph, go 25."

I made reservations for 10 at 12:00. Reservation is in the name of the "M5 Party" - in case any of you get there before the rest of us and want to claim the table.

Hope to see some of you at Alice's (10:30-11:15) and all at Duarte's.

By the way, for those of you who want to program your nav computers - Duarte's is

Duarte's Tavern
202 Stage Rd
Pescadero, CA

Of course, my nav system died today....

Afterwards:

I don't have formal plans - the drive from Alice's will be out 84 to Stage Road, south on Stage to Duarte's. We'll get to see everyone's cars there, though I think many will be at Alice's 1st. We'll be done with lunch by 1:00 or so.

OPTIONAL - After lunch I would love to head up Stage Road which doesn't get too much traffic, and set up to video-tape all the M5's coming by in a line, xenon's a-blazin'. Then I'll produce a video clip of it we can all email to our friends. Also, my radio control airplane buddies are having an open house/fun fly - right on the coast near where we'll be - so I plan to visit there before heading back. You're welcome if you like - fun to watch.

I have to be out of town all day Saturday so don't look for updates from me until late evening - and then that will be the final post.

I have NOT posted this on bimmer.org because there are so many bozos there - last thing we need is a bunch of guys in their Supra's coming to play bully. Still, I'm sure there are more M5 owners around. If you know any, please feel free to invite them - but let me know (greg@corp.phone.com and greg@heumann.com) because we now have 10 people for 10 seats @ lunch.

Should be a lotta fun. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Biggest problem is finding some time between now and then to wash my FILTHY car.

#24 ·
WE'RE ON!

Alice's is at the intersection of HWY 35 and HYW 84 aka Woodside Road. Right next to a little 76 station.

I couldn't find an address for it - but it shouldn't be hard to find. I'll be sitting at one of the outside tables havin' a cup of coffee, and my son will be with me, drinking cocoa, no doubt.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.