BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Won't hear from an adjuster until next week, but hood, right fender, radiator right headlight all toast. Doesn't look like the doors were impacted, but couldn't open hood. Air bags didn't deploy.

Was at National Airport in DC area and on exit ramp to the GW parkway. Woman in a Chevy Cruise in front of me slows, pulls on right shoulder. I slow and start to pass her in the travel lane. As I closed in she floors it, cuts in front of me and then slams on her brakes to come to a complete stop. I stand on the brakes, but no time to react and no room to get around her. Bam. My immediate thought was it was completely intentional like some type of setup for an insurance scam. No cars in front of her and no reason to completely stop. Then she and hubby exit the car, which turns out to be a rental. They are visiting the US from Bejing and obviously have no clue what they are doing. She even left the car in drive when she got out!

Insult to injury the cop writes me a ticket for following too closely. He even says "look, I believe you but there are no witnesses and when damage is > $1,500 we have to cite somebody, that's almost 100% the striking driver". I haven't had an accident in 30 years and no tickets in 20 years so I plan on fighting this one.

Anyway, wish me luck. Will let you know what insurance co says when the look at it. 75k miles, no prior accidents and very clean...this sucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Doesn't look too bad, hit up Clemster.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Sucks the circumstances under which this happened, there're some crazy drivers in developing countries. Is that a pin stripe off the side of the fender?

·
Banned
3,793 Posts
she looks hurt for sure, but nothing really major that can't be fixed. In addition, as far as resale value, make sure you write everything down and document the progress to show work was done correctly and most of all fight for OE parts not junkyard!!! Lady cracked my rear bumper and they wanted me to get some old bumper from the junk yard. I fought for new parts and was paid for it accordingly.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
4,356 Posts
+1
to what paul88 said

the more documentation you have the better, take every picture of everything you can. This is why forum history can be so valuable, potential buyers are scared off by the unknown not superficial damage. sure you'll get those buyers who are looking for all original paint and parts, but there are those that are comfortable when a seller is transparent about things.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the encouragement

I am very happy/blessed it wasn't worse and nobody was hurt. My 10yr old son was in the back seat, just scared, not hurt at all. I'm also hoping this woman decided not to venture out on the highway...

It almost looks to me like my bumper went under the car I hit so most of the force was directed at my hood. Hopefully that limits the damage and costs... I just don't want the insurance co (allstate) to try and say its totaled (not really sure what this thing is worth or when they decide to total). I bought this car new in 2003, love it and want to keep it, even if ultimately just a weekend toy.

Anyway, will let you guys know what happens once they get a chance to figure the damages.

Thanks again.

P.S. Yes, that's a pin stripe. I'm assuming the dealer I bought it from (Passport) added that. It has held up pretty well the past 11 yrs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And yep, I'll hit up Clemster

Have bought parts off him before...stand up guy. Once I figure out what the insurance co wants to do then will move forward.

Forgot to mention that I checked the gaps around both doors and doesn't look like they moved at all so hoping that means not as bad as the hood makes it look.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Oh no! Glad to hear everyone is OK, but damn don't give me flashbacks!!

Based on the limited photos and info you gave, it shouldn't be totaled. My car has just shy of 200k miles and is a 2000 and State Farm didn't total mine. My damage looks similar to yours. The second pic is super bad quality, but it's a good teaser of the car ready to be put back together! Think positive!

Good luck!

Edit: On second look, I'll be the first to say that it's possible the frame horn on the passenger side could be bent, which would certainly total the car, so keep your fingers crossed! Good news is, like mine, the bumper deflected upward and smashed into the rest, which is above the frame potentially saving this from happening.

Attachments

Reactions: nsogiba

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
We convinced technician to fix his car... hope we can do the same for yours!

Its a bummer but 100% repairable. Get an extra chunk of change from the insurance if you can, citing diminished value. Then do what paul said and document the repair process so the value is diminished as little as possible :)

Also, I agree 100% to fight the court case regarding being cited. The foreign couple likely wont even show up and youll win by default and that should help insurance cut you a check. Luckily rentals come with a built in insurance too, so they arent going to be looking at China to get their insurance money. I think you'll do well here. Its a bummer but youll come out on the other side with fresh paint (I bet you had a few rock chips) and play your cards right youll probably be able to pocket some money from the whole ordeal too, if for nothing else than the inconvenience.

·
Registered
631 Posts
What a shame. You can't moron proof your car...I got Tee boned in old Mustang before and it sux.

Looks like you can bolt on new parts...hope your insurance company see your side.

Im getting new bumper tomorrow cuz somebody popped my front as well.

=/

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Sorry to see this and glad you are ok. I'm sure you will be able to continue your long term relationship with the car!

Reactions: MotherSport

·
Registered
991 Posts
hope you get it fixed and beat the ticket. when I hear stories like this it makes me want a dash cam.
Which is precisely why I have a dashcam in every one of my vehicles, even in my fiance's. For under $100 a pop, how can anyone here honestly justify not having one. People drive like sh*t. Oh, and that cop who wrote out the ticket is a massive dirtbag for that one, hopefully that bad karma comes around to bite him.

Here's a little pleasant encounter my dashcam managed to record (CAUTION - Strong language, I got kinda heated... sorry!!) Dumbest woman driver ever. Decides to try to ram me with her SUV! - YouTube

As you can see, not much would have stopped the idiot in front of me from turning that into an insurance job, and for sure I'd end up being judged as guilty. Sh*t happens. Get a dashcam.

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Lol, that's some strong language content right there! hiha Which dashcam do you have, does it come on with ignition so as not to run down the battery?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts