BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, unfortunate day here. Looking for a shop recommendation for Sacramento, CA. I live near Folsom lake, but anywhere in the greater Sacramento area would do.

Car sat for about a week due to the local quarantines. Warmed up as normal, drove around until engine was warm before getting on it. Did a 3rd gear pull to redline on the highway then exited. First street off the highway it went into reduced power mode with increased emissions warning. Checked codes with my $30 amazon reader and got cylinder 9 misfire.

Owned the car for about 5 months and still get excited to drive it every day.

·
Registered
226 Posts
HMB motorwerks

·
Registered
111 Posts
You want contact info for russian dude’s shop in West Sac i used to go to for all my repairs on my 750li ? Charges a fraction of what anyone else would and does quality work.

either way, its Likely something you could prob do yourself though. either a bad ignition coil or spark plug. Whens the last time spark plugs and coils were replaced?

just make sure auto parts stores are open or order parts online ahead of time.

theres a site that sells coils really cheap someone on this forum mentioned the other day... havent ordered personally but might be worth a shot if you dont wanna spend alot:10 Performance Ignition Coil Packs For 2006-2010 BMW M5 M6 5.0L V10 E60 E63 E64

I bought oem NGK sparkplugs from amazon for like $10 a pop a few months ago.

·
Registered
657 Posts
What do you need the shop for just yet? Clear the codes and drive it hard again. If it doesn't pop back up I would let it go. If you want to start throwing money at it start with spark plug and ignition coil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you need the shop for just yet? Clear the codes and drive it hard again. If it doesn't pop back up I would let it go. If you want to start throwing money at it start with spark plug and ignition coil.
New to the area and need a shop for future work anyways. Going to clear codes today and try again, thanks for the input man.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You want contact info for russian dude’s shop in West Sac i used to go to for all my repairs on my 750li ? Charges a fraction of what anyone else would and does quality work.

either way, its Likely something you could prob do yourself though. either a bad ignition coil or spark plug. Whens the last time spark plugs and coils were replaced?

just make sure auto parts stores are open or order parts online ahead of time.

theres a site that sells coils really cheap someone on this forum mentioned the other day... havent ordered personally but might be worth a shot if you dont wanna spend alot:10 Performance Ignition Coil Packs For 2006-2010 BMW M5 M6 5.0L V10 E60 E63 E64

I bought oem NGK sparkplugs from amazon for like $10 a pop a few months ago.
If you wouldnt mind PM'ing me the info, wouldnt hurt to check it out. Thanks for the link too, thats a decent amount cheaper than most places!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whats your millage?
Original plugs and coils as far as you know?
97.5k miles. Originals as far as I know.

Cleared codes and drove around for 30 minutes with a few hard pulls, no issues! What could cause that?

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
Have not found a good job in this area either, just moved here about 5 months ago too. Not that I have issues with the car but would be nice to know a good place just in case.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HMB did my rod bearings a month ago. I would try them if you need a shop. My guess on the issue is plugs or coils on their way out.

On a side note, lets do a
Corona Virus Sacramento v10 meet lol
😷 everyone stays in their cars, not many cops out giving tickets right now.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
HMB did my rod bearings a month ago. I would try them if you need a shop. My guess on the issue is plugs or coils on their way out.

On a side note, lets do a
Corona Virus Sacramento v10 meet lol
😷 everyone stays in their cars, not many cops out giving tickets right now.
Issue has not returned for now, i will have them take a look when i do an oil change in a month or 2. Lets do a meet up, i am way overdo since moving here. Where in sac are you located? Im up by EDH.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Changing the coil and/or plug is pretty easy once you get the ginger bread out of the way. BTW the plastic covers over the coils is the hardest part. I left mine off for future service.

·
Registered
111 Posts
the plastic covers arent the hardest part. Having coils fused to the cylinder wall is the hardest part.

If coils dont come out, do not break them. Flood it with wd40, wiggle them, and leave overnight. If they dont pop out with ease — you didnt use enough. Clean up any and all wd40 outside and inside of cylinder. Do not remove sparkplugs until you get most of it out with rag/paper towls. Use a like a small wire like a coat hanger or whatever to use as a plunger

1 - 15 of 15 Posts