BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm will be changing the clutch and flywheel on my e39 M5 soon.

After much research, I am considering the purchase of a SACHS ZF updated clutch!

Thoughts/advice greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If you mean the Sachs perfomance clutch kit,go for it!
Use it myself,works perfect!!!!!!!
Pedal feel is a bit harder than stock,very good bite.Drove now for about 20k miles,when I took the tranny out inspected it,almost no wear at all.

Only down side is,the flywheel needs to be modified a bit that it fits.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I would add to Vantaa that Sachs website supplies a diagram showing how to modify the flywheel.
I am considering the same option ( e46 M3 performance clutch ) when mine is due.
I have 109k on the original oem, and still bites very good ..:noSMG:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's correct, it will be supplied with the diagrams.

Mine is still biting at the moment, has done around 50k miles, but the biting point is getting higher and it has slipped once or twice when giving it some in the dry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brecus clutch looks superb, what's the total cost?

Clutch + flywheel + delivery to the Uk?

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the Sachs performance clutch kit coming in but need a recommendation for a machine shop to modify the central area of the flywheel and also lighten and re-balance it? thanks

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I have the Sachs performance clutch kit coming in but need a recommendation for a machine shop to modify the central area of the flywheel and also lighten and re-balance it? thanks

Good luck finding a shop to do the work. I couldn't find ANYONE in Columbus, Ohio. I even went to a few race shops with no luck. I had to send my Dinan flywheel back to Dinan in CA to get it worked on. No one would even touch a dual mass unit here.....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I supported the clutch referred to above, but my clutch died last week and I took another route.
I picked up the CNS kit 2 days ago, to replace my oe clutch and flywheel. I can't claim I searched every single option out there but it seems CNS is the only kit that offers a 280mm disc + a dual mass flywheel. I made as much inquiries as I could, and found the gear lash and shatter noise on idle is hard to avoid with a LW flywheel, which comes with most aftermarket kits. 240mm and dual mass kits were available, but I really wanted an oversized disc, hoping that I don't have to change the clutch for a very long time. The kit also saved me the time and money spent to modify a flywheel to mate with a big disc. Plus CNS are luckily offering a good discount, and they have been tried by some members with no complains. So all in all there was enough pros to seal the deal. They usually don't sell the components separately but the rep. assured me they will work with me if the kit needs a rebuild .
It hasn't been installed yet like I said,I just felt obligated to share my experience as I supported one choice but went with another.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I supported the clutch referred to above, but my clutch died last week and I took another route.
I picked up the CNS kit 2 days ago, to replace my oe clutch and flywheel. I can't claim I searched every single option out there but it seems CNS is the only kit that offers a 280mm disc + a dual mass flywheel. I made as much inquiries as I could, and found the gear lash and shatter noise on idle is hard to avoid with a LW flywheel, which comes with most aftermarket kits. 240mm and dual mass kits were available, but I really wanted an oversized disc, hoping that I don't have to change the clutch for a very long time. The kit also saved me the time and money spent to modify a flywheel to mate with a big disc. Plus CNS are luckily offering a good discount, and they have been tried by some members with no complains. So all in all there was enough pros to seal the deal. They usually don't sell the components separately but the rep. assured me they will work with me if the kit needs a rebuild .
It hasn't been installed yet like I said,I just felt obligated to share my experience as I supported one choice but went with another.
Please let us know how you like that CNS unit after it's installed & properly broken in... ! :haha2:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just did this over the holiday. Parts came out to $1000 for the disc and the PP. Taking down the center of the flywheel 2.1 per Sach cost me a whopping $50.

Pedal is slightly harder than stock but is still very soft imo

·
Registered
543 Posts
Just did this over the holiday. Parts came out to $1000 for the disc and the PP. Taking down the center of the flywheel 2.1 per Sach cost me a whopping $50.

Pedal is slightly harder than stock but is still very soft imo
Did you buy directly from Sachs? I'm wondering because they said the PP they now sell is different than any of the ones for sale by US distributors. Who did the machine work on the Flywheel for you? I've tried contacting RRoberts since he had the same work done plus had the flywheel lightened but have not heard back from him yet. thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Did you buy directly from Sachs? I'm wondering because they said the PP they now sell is different than any of the ones for sale by US distributors. Who did the machine work on the Flywheel for you? I've tried contacting RRoberts since he had the same work done plus had the flywheel lightened but have not heard back from him yet. thanks

I got the PP through turner ($450) and the disc via bimmerworld ($525?). Its the e46 M3 HD plate and disc so almost everyone sells them here but those were the best prices I found. Part numbers 883082999749 for the PP and 881864999978 for the disc

For the flywheel ANY machine shop can do this. Honestly just google engine shop by your address and take it there. Taking down 2.1m from the center is about the easiest thing on the planet for them to do so don't be afraid. Also if they want to charge you more than an hour of labor to do so go somewhere else bc thats too much

·
Registered
543 Posts
I ordered directly through Sachs and got the Kit which is the clutch disk and PP together which they offer a savings on. Also, the clutch disk is the same part # that you ordered but the PP is different. They said the new part number is smoother ie less pedal force needed but same torque capacity. It cost me 880 shipped plus I had them include a throw out bearing for the heck of it. All said and done $969 which I think is pretty decent and the best I could find on all three items.

I'm OK taking it to local shops for the ceter machining, but I want it lightened too which requires re balancing. So I'm being alittle more selective on who I let do the work. thanks for the advice.

Just got an email from Vac motorsports that says they can machine the flywheel for me. Yippie. Now I need to source a new flywheel. best price so far 475 on ebay.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Please let us know how you like that CNS unit after it's installed & properly broken in... ! :haha2:
Will do, but for the time being they have some reviews on their website from active members here ( blocdoc, ghardini and roman I believe from ESS ).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered directly through Sachs and got the Kit which is the clutch disk and PP together which they offer a savings on. Also, the clutch disk is the same part # that you ordered but the PP is different. They said the new part number is smoother ie less pedal force needed but same torque capacity. It cost me 880 shipped plus I had them include a throw out bearing for the heck of it. All said and done $969 which I think is pretty decent and the best I could find on all three items.

I'm OK taking it to local shops for the ceter machining, but I want it lightened too which requires re balancing. So I'm being alittle more selective on who I let do the work. thanks for the advice.

Just got an email from Vac motorsports that says they can machine the flywheel for me. Yippie. Now I need to source a new flywheel. best price so far 475 on ebay.

Thats a good price! Didn't know about the new PP but mine is fine pedal wise. If you are going to lighten the flywheel then you would need to send it to someone who has done if before which it sounds like you are :)

You're going to really like the clutch. Its pricey but fits the bill perfectly for a streetable, reliable, strong aftermarket clutch for our cars.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Is anyone else using a Sachs SRE performance clutch? I've managed to pick one up for £410 delivered. Seems a good deal. I guess the easiest thing would be to buy a new flywheel and get it modified before fitting though to save time...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts