BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the S85 is starting to age, I figured it would be a good idea for people to post on this thread and chime in with the repairs they have made and what mileage the repairs have been made. I have made several repairs myself without many DIY's posted so if you have any questions how to go about any of the repairs I have made feel free to PM me. I am making this thread in hopes to benchmark the expected approx mileage for certain failures and to establish a routine for preventative maintenance in these M's. Ill start, as I see trends developing I will update the original post with your findings as well.

My M5 is currently at 86,000 miles and I have had repaired the following in the past two years of ownership.
Park Distance control unit replaced - 50,000 miles.
Post cat 02 sensors replaced - 58,000 miles.
Control arm bushings replaced - 62,000 miles.
Liquid electrical tape applied to headlight wiring inside headlight housing (wiring became brittle and wire housing broke off copper) 65,000 miles.
MAF Sensors replaced - 70,000 miles.
Coil pack cylinder number 5 replaced - 70,000 miles.
Driver side idle actuator replaced - 72,000 miles.
Driver side throttle actuator replaced - 79,000 miles.
Battery replaced - 79,000 miles. (second replacement)
Fuel Pressure Sensor replaced - 80,000 miles.
Fuel injector rings replaced - 83,000 miles.
Fuel injector for cylinder 6 and 8 replaced - 83,000 miles.
Coil pack for cylinder 6 replaced - 83,000 miles.
Fuel rail repaired (cracked on driver side) - 85,000 miles.
Driver side Ion control module replaced - 85,000 miles.
Need to replace - FM antennae (FM reception has recently degraded significantly)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Omg, I would have sold mine already if I had your list.

I'm at 160k, I've done nothing but maintenance and clutches.

Last time I was in the shop was 40k ago a little over a year now for a clutch I replaced the smg pump while they were doing it along with plugs and coil packs (1 coil pack was going bad)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hahahaha I swear I put a feeler up on ebay because I thought it was a little out of hand. I calculated that every 5 weeks I have to buy a replacement part. I only put 28k miles on it in 2 years. This list obviously excludes tires and oil changes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought it was just the price to pay for S85 ownership. Thanks for the input, this definitely sways my opinion to sell.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
2006 E60 M5 66k @present. Don't remember the miles but all this happened within 20k miles of 66k

1) Replaced center dash (A/C knobs temperature control knobs ect), it kept turning on and off every bump I hit. 54K
2) Replaced right door mirror due to not dimming. 49k
3) Replaced housing for right side mirror kept over rotating when I went to place housing in up position. 52k
4) Replaced Ionic module bank 1. 57k
5) Replaced entire SMG unit. Highly doubt it was needed but BMW did it under warranty so no argument there from me. 48k
6) Replaced Rod Bearings. Just preventative maintenance only. 59k
7) Soon to Replace Actuators error becoming more frequent. TBA

Found my folder containing service records...looked everywhere around the house and they were all in my trunk lol.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2006 E60 M5 66k @present. Don't remember the miles but all this happened within 20k miles of 66k

1) Replaced center dash (A/C knobs temperature control knobs ect), it kept turning on and off every bump I hit.
2) Replaced right door mirror due to not dimming.
3) Replaced housing for right side mirror kept over rotating when I went to place housing in up position.
4) Replaced Ionic module bank 1
5) Replaced entire SMG unit. Highly doubt it was needed but BMW did it under warranty so no argument there from me.
6) Replaced Rod Bearings. Just preventative maintenance only.
7) Soon to Replace Actuators error becoming more frequent.

I can't say the car has been trouble free but I love driving this thing.
Can you recall the mileage per incident? I want to try to create a log for others. May just order the new M4.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned my M5 since February and have done the following:

1) Bank 1 ionic control module
2) Pre Cat Lambda Sensor
3) Clutch and Flywheel
4) Currently in garage- may need fuel pressure sensor

·
Registered
259 Posts
Omg, I would have sold mine already if I had your list.

I'm at 160k, I've done nothing but maintenance and clutches.

Last time I was in the shop was 40k ago a little over a year now for a clutch I replaced the smg pump while they were doing it along with plugs and coil packs (1 coil pack was going bad)

WOW! You have 160k on the stock motor? Have you ever sent an oil sample to blackstone?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, please edit your posts to include the mileage at the time of each repair.

·
Registered
794 Posts
You should reword your origina post, some of what you listed are wear/tear items like brakes, coil packs, MAFs, etc. and not necessarily "repair" items.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
You should reword your origina post, some of what you listed are wear/tear items like brakes, coil packs, MAFs, etc. and not necessarily "repair" items.
I removed the brakes and spark plugs as they are regular maintenance items and I did not realize I put it on there. As for coil packs, MAFS, etc. It is debatable as to whether or not to call them wear and tear items. I have owned BMW's where I never had to replace them. My wifes former E9X they went at 58,000 miles, on my former E46 they never went even up to 111,000 miles before I sold it. So it is good to get a benchmark as to when to expect these kind of things to go.

·
Registered
386 Posts
77K miles, still was on original battery, just had battery replaced with OEM and Valeo voltage regulator replaced. They got their miles out of them. Brakes will need replacement soon, still on original SMG pump and flush was done recently. Front LCA bushings were starting to go bad, have a set of replacement Dinan monoballs in the house now ready to go on. Euro SMG programming improved bucking problems and car runs like a totally different vehicle with that. So far....knock on wood...no issues, leaks, or broken electronics.

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Just ordered my throttle actuators paid $750.00usd each from Husker. Error wouldn't stop so time to just get it done.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered my throttle actuators paid $750.00usd each from Husker. Error wouldn't stop so time to just get it done.
It is not a bad repair if you are used to taking of the intake plenums. I have gotten really quick at removing them bc my idle and throttle actuators went separately.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts