BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've reviewed the TIS documents on replacing this line and G.A.S.'s docs on the bearing replacement but still left with some questions.

The internal line is fitted from the outside next to the water pump; this is the second "T" connection in the system, the other (for external line) is at the top of the engine. I've yet to remove the pump from below; how much clearance is in there to feed the line down & through? Next, how much are people actually removing to feed the line down? Are you removing the tensioner, face of the water pump and the water lines?

If I wanted to test the lines for leaks w/ the engine open would you just disconnect the accumulator at the bottom and pressure test from there? What kind of leak down would be appropriate?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
remove two top 10mm bolts from water pump and unbolt the power steering pump and there is all the room in the world to change the high pressure hose

·
Registered
517 Posts
I doubt you can get the line in or out without taking pump out. I left line connected to pump and pressurized with air, I could hear the line leaking with pan still on. If that helps

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt you can get the line in or out without taking pump out. I left line connected to pump and pressurized with air, I could hear the line leaking with pan still on. If that helps
Yes it does help, thanks. What did you use for an attachment to pressurize? I have been looking for something quick/easy at local auto parts but nothing is off the shelf. I assume I could adapt from an air fitting to some sort of banjo fitting? I do see this specialty BMW tool; 83300495130 which would take a few days to get here and might just be a 1 time use for me.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Yes it does help, thanks. What did you use for an attachment to pressurize? I have been looking for something quick/easy at local auto parts but nothing is off the shelf. I assume I could adapt from an air fitting to some sort of banjo fitting? I do see this specialty BMW tool; 83300495130 which would take a few days to get here and might just be a 1 time use for me.

Rubber tip blow gun

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
If I wanted to test the lines for leaks w/ the engine open would you just disconnect the accumulator at the bottom and pressure test from there? What kind of leak down would be appropriate?
If engine is open why bother? Remove the vanos pump and replace the hose. You don't want to risk opening the engine again if the hose fails.

As for how to remove the hose I removed the water pump pulley (4 bolts) to remove the hose. I for sure didn't remove the water pump or any water hose.

·
Registered
517 Posts
If engine is open why bother? Remove the vanos pump and replace the hose. You don't want to risk opening the engine again if the hose fails.

As for how to remove the hose I removed the water pump pulley (4 bolts) to remove the hose. I for sure didn't remove the water pump or any water hose.

I don’t believe he’s pulled anything apart, those pictures are from another thread. And there’s a few more parts to remove than just the water pump pulley, otherwise I completely agree.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
sundaycruzers
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing