BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Can you imagine the audience on the receiving end of those 38 slides!?!?! You wouldn't want to be first on after lunch eh.

'Any questions'? LOL

Reactions: 5soko

·
2,149 Posts
Can you imagine the audience on the receiving end of those 38 slides!?!?! You wouldn't want to be first on after lunch eh.

'Any questions'? LOL
lol for real! That was a intense couple pages! Alot of work into one piece of the puzzle of the engine.

·
Registered
580 Posts
A lot of nice graphics and bits of information I will never understand :) but very cool and interesting see the amount of study and work for a single component. I only wish they showed the same amount of work and dedication to the rod bearings:)!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Particle swarm optimisation....nice relaxing reading ! Electrical Engineer by schooling and I thought I could at least get my mind around it....HA ! Does look interesting though....maybe w/ a few more reads :cheers: and beer.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Where did you actually find this document? Interesting as this is about ways to minimize bearing forces, balancing and reducing crank weight using highly advanced mathematical best result searching techniques. Published in 2007, after a few year of the E60 being on the road. I wonder if this study was a result of issues in the field.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't feel bad, gents. It's going to be nearly impossible to fully grasp without the talking points. The presentation by itself shows a lot, but doesn't say much. Good find though!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ah, so differential equations DOES have a real-world use, I never would have guessed ;-)

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Where did you actually find this document? Interesting as this is about ways to minimize bearing forces, balancing and reducing crank weight using highly advanced mathematical best result searching techniques. Published in 2007, after a few year of the E60 being on the road. I wonder if this study was a result of issues in the field.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I was searching for random S85/SMG/M5 docs on EDU Libs | An educational Library for everyday use and ran across it.

I suspect this was a presentation of "how we did it" shown for a several years after the initial design. It does touch on bearing stresses, so perhaps they pushed the envelope a bit too far with the clearance specs in order to optimize other areas and life expectancy wasn't part of the design criteria.

·
Registered
464 Posts
It seems that a comprehensive hardware test program was ditched in favor of computer modelling. We are now seeing the results (as consumers are the ultimate test program). FE models are not compete representations of solids and while they can get close to predicting real-world behavior, they don't substitute for iterative design/test cycles especially on complex dynamic structures and loads.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
wingnut

I agree a 100%.

But this is not just BMW having faith in the latest and greatest simulation software all manufactures are doing this due to the cost savings.

Granted they still have cold and hot test cells and a dyno stress test (not real world by any means).

The savings is in validating design of individual engine components via modeling and simulation programs in lieu of using OEM factory parts in racing programs with numerous tear downs and detailed eyeball analysis of stressed parts(Porsche Metzger flat six) or million miles over the road torture tests Land Rover LR3.
Many more hardware test methods were used up to a decade ago, but the desire to have cars developed from blank sheet to dealership showroom in 18-months precludes the use of time intensive test methods of the past.

Robotics with mirco cracking detection equipment and high speed HQ camera's that compare images of tested parts to a data base may speed up some aspects of testing, but when trying to speed up actual durability testing correlation to real world gets lost.

Bottom line, it will not fit an 18-month product cycle.

Besides the expertise to run meaningful tests, disassemble and analyze component failures has been lost with the Boomer generation given early retirement.

As has been experienced by many the final product testing is done by the consumer, with some regrettable results in that America's sports car, is a smoking pile of over heated metal after only 4 to 6 laps in the hands of an instructor level Driver Z51 and Z06 included.

The new prototypical engineers are computer savy young guns with well developed fast twitch muscle fiber to input CAD instructions at better than 80-instructions per minute. But would not be able to tell you much about an engine after tearing it down.

·
Registered
464 Posts
These are hard lessons to teach. Observation > speculation and analysis. Analysis said a chunk of urethane foam would disintegrate when hitting a Shuttle reinforced carbon-carbon leading edge. A demonstration showed the huge hole that actually occurred. It's a shame that they have come to believe real testing is a luxury that is unaffordable.

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
That was intense reading, over my head even for a mechanical engineer that I used to be.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That was intense reading, over my head even for a mechanical engineer that I used to be.

I actually want to go to school for mechanical engineering in two years from now. God, I hope I don't have to look forward to that! Lol.

Reactions: nicko and ticat928

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I actually want to go to school for mechanical engineering in two years from now. God, I hope I don't have to look forward to that! Lol.

Do not worry this would be Masters Level Engineering.

It would even qualify for a PHD level Thesis.

You will do good, the m5 prepares one well (all the required wrenching will make engineering labs a breeze).

I was the one that had to show some fellow students how to use a torque wrench and repair and set up abused equipment, calibrate measuring devices etc.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
These are hard lessons to teach. Observation > speculation and analysis. Analysis said a chunk of urethane foam would disintegrate when hitting a Shuttle reinforced carbon-carbon leading edge. A demonstration showed the huge hole that actually occurred. It's a shame that they have come to believe real testing is a luxury that is unaffordable.

I do not know the criteria for hiring NASA Engineers.

But even now as spray foam has been used in construction for roofing for a while and more recently in wall envelope systems the substantial shrinkage after application is a problem allowing water ingress to be trapped in building structure to rot or rust till failure.

This is all common knowledge for commercial spray foam applicators. Did any Engineer show interest in talking to the Contractor doing the tank insulation?

How anyone thought spray foam would hold up at supersonic speeds applied to a tank that expands and contracts with pressure and temperature along with additional shrinkage due to super cooling is beyond me.

It had to be given that large chunks would be peeled (particularly at strut penetrations) off thus every shuttle surface needed to be tested for impact survivability as a matter of course

·
Registered
464 Posts
Getting off topic. I'll just say that insulation formula, surface prep, application control, and inspection was well beyond normal industrial methods and standards. Back to cars...

·
Registered
13,461 Posts
You will be fine, it is actually a good field to go into, even though I moved into the clinical field after 10 years of doing engineering :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
You will be fine, it is actually a good field to go into, even though I moved into the clinical field after 10 years of doing engineering :M5thumbs:
I know for a fact (from experience) that the clinical field needs more individuals that can think like engineers.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts