BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing remarkable here other than the possiblity that the M3 doesn't come with standard Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil. For somebody's future reference

Attachments

Reactions: CSBM5

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nothing remarkable here other than the possiblity that the M3 doesn't come with standard Castrol TWS 10W-60 oil. For somebody's future reference
The E92 M3 service book actually says the S65 comes with a non-synthetic break-in oil. TWS, at least in my S62, sheared down to about 17.4 CST at 100c, so this is actually thicker than TWS.

My dealership messed up and didn't sample mine at the 1200 service. Thanks for posting - I was curious!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
That's been true for some time. The E46 M3 came with mineral oil from the factory, but all M engines since have come with TWS. If you search back a couple of years in the M6 forum the same issue came up then and we had confirmation from a regional service manger that TWS is used from the factory.

Tim

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Thanks for the analysis. Looks like you should shoot for another oil change around 5k miles or so? It's hard to imagine BMW letting their non-M engines go for over 15k miles on the initial fill.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Thanks for the analysis. Looks like you should shoot for another oil change around 5k miles or so? It's hard to imagine BMW letting their non-M engines go for over 15k miles on the initial fill.
Don't forget that the M engines have a different piston ring structure - they are much looser when the engine is cold to allow for expansion due to friction at very high revs. That's why M cars use more oil, and if driven aggressively will need the oil changed more frequently.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts