BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys im a new to this site
Ever since the f90(g30) m5 have came out I've always loved the engine in that car
I have an 530i 1995 e34 i love that car but the engine isn't that good. I've been thinking maybe like a salvage m5 or maybe even an m5 competition if it's cheap enough and swap the engine into my e34
Just wanted an opinion thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
Having owned a 2012 550xi with that S63B44 engine (ok, only the 1st generation), I think the torque would be a vast improvement over the S38.

But then, I also currently own an E34 M5... Keeping with the character of the light E34 chassis, I'd think that swapping in a Euro S50 or an S54 would be a better fit - probably lighter, also. Both of these are high-revving I-6's, keeping with the original character of the car.

I also recall someone posting that the S70 V12 could swap into the E34 chassis... :cool:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i did think about that at the beginning but i
The problem is i want this build to be a power beast my goal is something around the 850 to 1000 wheel HP so that's why i said s63 specially the gen 2 cause its already 600 hp and with a tune I've seen these engines go up to 700 and 750 in some cases so yeah going with an s50 or s54 is a great route but it would mean a lot of modding and stuff beacause of the power delta between it been stock and the goal i want on this build
I would like your opinion on my thoughts thank you for responding

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think you would be the 1st for trying to make the E34 with an S63B44 swap - I wish you the best of luck, and will be following this thread (or wherever you post photos & notes).

As for the S63B44, my 550xi was actually an N63B44 - I think BMW engineering addressed some concerns over the weak points when they made the S63B44 out of it. Since mine was a daily-driver/commuter, not a project car, it was a little annoying to need most of the rubber/plastic bits inside the hot-V replaced starting around 70k miles. Having the N63 be the 1st to exhaust inside the V to make a short/fat path to the turbos means that there is HUGE heat load in the small volume (covered with a plastic "no user servicable parts under here" cover).

After 3 coolant leaks, EGR leaks, and excessive oil consumption (class-action suit, if I remember), I decided that this engine was not a good fit for me. But then, if you are considering the swap of this engine into an E34, you probably have greater confidence in your mechanic's skills than I do...

I'd like to think that 700 horsepower or so would be difficult to harness in a light package like an E34, and that the extra weight would only make the chassis nose-heavy.

Again, since I've owned pieces of your question, I'm still interested in seeing what you are able to make. Best of luck!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Having owned a 2012 550xi with that S63B44 engine (ok, only the 1st generation), I think the torque would be a vast improvement over the S38.

But then, I also currently own an E34 M5... Keeping with the character of the light E34 chassis, I'd think that swapping in a Euro S50 or an S54 would be a better fit - probably lighter, also. Both of these are high-revving I-6's, keeping with the original character of the car.

I also recall someone posting that the S70 V12 could swap into the E34 chassis... :cool:
Pointing out the need for torque and then suggesting engines with lesser torque than an S38... (S50 and S54)
Also the E34 isent exactly "light", maybe compared to some US monstrosity, but to anything else, not really.
Hi guys im a new to this site
Ever since the f90(g30) m5 have came out I've always loved the engine in that car
I have an 530i 1995 e34 i love that car but the engine isn't that good. I've been thinking maybe like a salvage m5 or maybe even an m5 competition if it's cheap enough and swap the engine into my e34
Just wanted an opinion thanks
The S63 is a nice engine, but if your goal is 1000 hp+ then you would be better of with an engine where there is known swap info. Eg S54 or an M50. The money youre gonna spend putting an S63 in, is better spend getting an S54 to 1000 hp, which really isent hard now adays. Especially because getting an S63 to 1000 hp+ also costs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts