BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may be interested to see what an M5-powered M3 looks like. Fall-Line Motorsports has recently completed and tuned this car, and it was dominant at the BMWCCA Club Races held this past weekend at Mid-Ohio. Pictures are available at www.fall-linemotorsports.com.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
That's quite an impressive car! I was thinking something along the lines of a Hartge H50 when I saw the link, but that blows the H50 out of the water. Must be odd to see an M3 running by at a high rate of speed and hearing an S62 at full bore. lovelove
:cheers:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not bad, but I was wondering I didnt see what they did to the motor to get just under 500 hp, did I miss it? or do you know, just curious what they did to bump up HP almost a hundred horses, Josh

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Hamman did it a long time ago...About 4 yrs acually.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Nice drysump setup, I see they went with the Daily system.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hey Dick,
Is this the same car event that's shown on page 152 of the December '05 Grassroots Motorsports? From the article, "Another V-8 powered E46 M3 appeared for its first BMW CCA outing, this one owned by Gary Kachadurian and driven by its builder, Mark Boden of Fall-Line Motorsports. The car won both of the BMW CCA races."
Anita

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Well Mr. Roberts:

Are ya gonna tell us what are ALL the goodies inside that S62 Block?

Congrats to you !

As I always say ... All good things in all good time !

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anita said:
Hey Dick,
Is this the same car event that's shown on page 152 of the December '05 Grassroots Motorsports? From the article, "Another V-8 powered E46 M3 appeared for its first BMW CCA outing, this one owned by Gary Kachadurian and driven by its builder, Mark Boden of Fall-Line Motorsports. The car won both of the BMW CCA races."
Anita
Anita,

This is the same car, at the BMWCCA 10th anniversary club race at Mid-Ohio in late August. Gary is the Fall-Line customer who commissioned the project.

Regards, Dick

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gra8fuldd ed said:
Well Mr. Roberts:

Are ya gonna tell us what are ALL the goodies inside that S62 Block?

Congrats to you !

As I always say ... All good things in all good time !
Ed,

There is not that much to tell. The engine started as a brand-new complete S62 engine from BMW. The mods include conversion to dry-sump, external oil-cooler in place of the factory water-cooled unit between the vee, custom headers to fit the chassis, Dinan bored-out throttle bodies, MOTEC engine controls, and removal of the two VANOS units. The short block and heads are stock except for the oil system modifications. The chassis dyno would suggest that peak power is a little less than 500 at the crank. So far there doesn't seem to be a need to put in the cams. With the VANOS units removed, installed weight is similar to the S54 six.

The tub, cage and suspension is derived from Fall-Line's experience building GA Cup cars this past season, and is pretty well worked out. The car has plenty of cooling capacity (water, oil, diff & trans), and has proven quite reliable. More tire would definitiely be useful, but 275-equivalent slicks is all that fits under the stock tub.

Regards, Dick

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
RRoberts said:
Ed,

. The mods include external oil-cooler in place of the factory water-cooled unit between the vee, custom headers to fit the chassis, Dinan bored-out throttle bodies,
Regards, Dick
Is the oil cooler conversion a trade secret or can any of that we shared for those of us who think the stock set up will not cut it at the track?
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
gsfent said:
Is the oil cooler conversion a trade secret or can any of that we shared for those of us who think the stock set up will not cut it at the track?
Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,

The oil cooler mods are a consequence of addressing three issues: (1) need for greater oil heat rejection capacity, (2) free up water jacket heat rejection capacity by removing oil heat load, and (3) eliminate a potential reliability issue with the factory heat exchanger, which is inaccessible with the intake installed. Use of an external oil cooler is greatly facilitated by the conversion to dry sump oiling, and the method used in this car to access the internal oil galleries would not work for a stock wet sump system.

It would probably be better with the stock oil system to tie into the external oil filter lines if an auxiliary cooler is needed, but there would need to be bypass capability for operation in cold weather.

Regards, Dick

·
10,458 Posts
dinan also eliminates the oil/water heat exchanger in thier e39 M5 oil cooler, and adds a thermostat. Looks very nice.
Mike

RRoberts said:
Jerry,

The oil cooler mods are a consequence of addressing three issues: (1) need for greater oil heat rejection capacity, (2) free up water jacket heat rejection capacity by removing oil heat load, and (3) eliminate a potential reliability issue with the factory heat exchanger, which is inaccessible with the intake installed. Use of an external oil cooler is greatly facilitated by the conversion to dry sump oiling, and the method used in this car to access the internal oil galleries would not work for a stock wet sump system.

It would probably be better with the stock oil system to tie into the external oil filter lines if an auxiliary cooler is needed, but there would need to be bypass capability for operation in cold weather.

Regards, Dick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts