BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is performance of a different variety! I was just wondering what kind of fuel economy your M5 returns and what level of oil consumption you're seeing, as well as your odometer reading.

I've got 288,000 Km on my beast. I did a 300 km hwy cruise tonight at an average 70 mph with some toll booth fun and border crossings as well as some in town driving. The beast returned 25 mpg, which I thought was quite impressive. Also, I change the oil every 10,000 km (98% hwy km) and I use almost a quart of oil - not quite. This is also quite good for any motor, much less one that gets pushed pretty hard and also delivers an impressive amount of torque/horsepower at reasonably high rpms.

What does your beast deliver?:flag:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I tend to average around 19mpg, but this tends to be a stop/start commute along back roads and isn't best suited to the M5. I can't really help where I live. If I'm on the motorway doing a steady 60mph and reset the consumption figure, it holds at a fairly steady 34/35mpg, on long journeys, I do tend to get figures I'm quite happy with, considering the type of car it is.

Mine hasn't used any oil. I know this is fairly unusual for these cars (though not unknown) but I check it weekly on the same flat surface in the car park at work after the recommended idle and rest etc. and it's still just below the max mark on the dipstick, which I think is ideal. Not overfilled but plenty in. I don't tend to drive it hard very often and never, ever when cold.

Car has FSH and has been looked after, but I'm happy with both fuel and oil consumption :)

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just want topop in and say hello to a fellow Ontarian and I am amazed to see the mileage on your M5. I average 11-14L/100 with heavy foot and mixed driving with alot of toronto traffic. Barely a 1L of oil between oil changes every 6K-7K.

·
Registered
274 Posts
115k miles on the car, oil changed every 7000 miles, I use approx .75L between changes. Average gas mileage over the past year is about 18.5 mpg. I have gotten as high as 24 mpg on long highway trips.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I just want topop in and say hello to a fellow Ontarian and I am amazed to see the mileage on your M5. I average 11-14L/100 with heavy foot and mixed driving with alot of toronto traffic. Barely a 1L of oil between oil changes every 6K-7K.
Hey brother! Good to hear from you!! I bought the beast from a sleazy used car lot in Toronto in 2008 with 105,000 km on the clock. It was throwing an SES light every 5 km driven. The LED display below the speedo/tach had almost no pixels working. The tires were bald, but it was otherwise in great condition. They cleared the SES light three times, and told me it MUST be a gas cap problem when the light came back on. I told them that it probably WASN'T a gas cap problem, as it could be a whole host of things that are wrong with the car. They then dropped the asking price from 35K to 31K to 24K, at which time I accepted and bought the car. They also wanted to sell me multiple warranties to bring the car up to 30K - which I declined. On the drive home, the car went into limp in mode and I couldn't exceed 3000 rpms! AWESOME!! After replacing multiple oxygen sensors (all except one), she drove pretty well. About a few months later, the SES light returned. I bought myself a code reader and diagnosed multiple nagging problems which eventually had me replacing the MAFs, the VANOS sensors and some other sensors underneath the plenum. And the SES light returns. But it drives so well!!! Finally, I replaced the last O2 sensor at the advice of my dealership, and finally, after over 100,000 km of driving with the damn SES light on, the light now stays OFF!:biggrinbounce:

I replaced the LED display, bought snow rims/tires, put in the bluetooth kit from bavauto, put in sirius satellite radio in place of the cd changer, replaced the junk windshield with an OEM bmw unit so that my auto wipers work again. I'm now putting in a new mirror so that the autodim feature works again, and it also has the compass in the mirror as well as the homelink so I can ditch that silly garage door opener remote. I've replaced every fluid, the serp belts, the fan, clutch, alternator, driveshaft and summer tires X3 (kumhos made this car stick like GLUE!!).

I knew that this car would require some major maintenance when I bought it and replaced every fluid. I accept that costs involved with a supercar are high - that comes with the territory - but I must say - this car is worth every penny!!! What a ride!!! I know these things cost over 100K new in Canada - and the fact that I got her at one quarter that cost - well, that is just sweet music my friend!

Enjoy your rides!!!!:cheers:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Another Ontario resident checking in :D

I have 212k km on my car, I've done anywhere from 9.x L/100 on a road trip to 15L/100 stuck in stop and go traffic (I'm in Toronto). I check my oil several times a week (I've only had the car 3 months) and I burn a little bit of oil at 2.5L in 6500 km oil change last time. I consider this nothing compared to what I've seen my past vtec Honda's burn and various turbo cars.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I get 27 mpg with 121k on my E39 M5

I get 27 mpg on the highway, 18 mpg mixed driving with 121k on my E39 M5 after I replaced my fuel pump, fuel filter, and pressure regulator. Prior to that I was getting 24 mpg if I get lucky.

I have another question. What are the main things to replace on an E39 M5 after 100k miles to get it running like new. My car currently has an odd exhaust note and it feels like it's running at 85% of its true potential. So far I've done the following:

1. OEM E39 MAFs (not the VW ones)
  2. Changed plugs with OEM plugs
  3. Changed all 4 O2 sensors
  4. Changed fuel pump
  5. Changed fuel filter & pressure regulator
  6. Changed all the seals and gaskets in the engine to fix a vacuum leak
Nonetheless, my car still does not feel like it did when I first bought it. What do I need to do?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I get 27 mpg on the highway, 18 mpg mixed driving with 121k on my E39 M5 after I replaced my fuel pump, fuel filter, and pressure regulator. Prior to that I was getting 24 mpg if I get lucky.

I have another question. What are the main things to replace on an E39 M5 after 100k miles to get it running like new. My car currently has an odd exhaust note and it feels like it's running at 85% of its true potential. So far I've done the following:
A changed exhaust note and power loss sounds like a Vanos issue.
DrVanos.com

·
Registered
53 Posts
mgdmb, just to clarify, the exhaust is not louder, it just doesn't sound like it did before. It's got a different note to it.

Also, wouldn't the car throw a CPS code if it was a CPS issue? I would also note that my car did not throw an MAF code when my MAF sensors went bad.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
When my bank 1 exhaust CPs went bad, the exhaust tone turned a lot deeper, but not really louder. And the car felt way down on power as well. But no codes.

·
Registered
10,266 Posts
Have to agree with Fulltone the thing missing on your maintenance is 4 new up dated CPS ( it is a board thing to replace the originals with the updated version). You have also not replaced the vanos solenoid o rings. Both those things are significant to performance.

Here is some reading material.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/172479-cps-solenoid-seals-full-blown-solenoids-peak-codes-included.html?
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/173353-vanos-o-rings.html?
There are lots more so do a search from the info you learn in them.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Nonetheless, my car still does not feel like it did when I first bought it. What do I need to do?
So yea My Car is only getting 14 mpg's city (from the cars computer), and this is all city driving, my commute to work is short. Car runs strong pulls great Drives beautifully, at least it feels like that.

Its got 41,500 on the clock.

My questions is......might there be something wrong with the fuel system? is only getting 14mpg's odd? From research most of what I have read are people in the 17-18 mpg's.

My driving:

70% Driving under 3K
30% Drive it like i stole it

I wasn't expecting great numbers with this car, probably just being neurotic.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So yea My Car is only getting 14 mpg's city (from the cars computer), and this is all city driving, my commute to work is short. Car runs strong pulls great Drives beautifully, at least it feels like that.

Its got 41,500 on the clock.

My questions is......might there be something wrong with the fuel system? is only getting 14mpg's odd? From research most of what I have read are people in the 17-18 mpg's.

My driving:

70% Driving under 3K
30% Drive it like i stole it

I wasn't expecting great numbers with this car, probably just being neurotic.

Thanks in advance.
Jateca,
You say your commute is short - I have noticed my MPG measurements (via the computer) are very low for the first 5-10 miles of my commute. After that, it warms up and does much better. I can't explain it, but I have noticed it consistently. Do you get better mileage on longer drives?

I personally just had the exhaust note change today (literally). Mine threw a code. One for each bank. I'll probably change all four camshaft sensors and am debating whether to do it myself or not. From what I have read the drivers side can take a while and I don't have time this weekend. I don't want to drive very long on the bad sensors, so I'll probably take it in this week.

...I have also read that these sensors going is the start of a long rube goldberg device of other problems. Fingers crossed it won't happen to me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Another Ontario, (Mississauga) M5 chiming in.

My 25 Km drive to work is about 75% highway so I end up with a nice 11.5L/100km average. A steady 120 Kmh cruise results in about 9 to 9.5 L/100. My last track day at Mosport resulted in a 26L/100 average. :hihi:

Oil consumption is a steady 1L per 1100 kms using Mobil 1 0W40 Euro spec. It just turned 90K Kms and the car has new O2s, but the MAFs and plugs have 50K kms on them. The CPS and Vanos are original but are on the PM list for the fall, as are the plugs.

US conversion

9.5 = 24.7 US MPG
11.5 = 20 US MPG
26 = 9 US MPG

·
Registered
33 Posts
some math and facts
1 mile = 1.609344 km same in US/UK on land
1 Imperial gallon = 4.54609188 liters
1 US gallon = 3.78541178 liters

ratio UK/US = 1.2009504234173435155316180687745