BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for info on how the s62 pumps oil out of the heads and back to the sump.
My other car, a 928 S4 (5 liters, 32 valves, alusil block) has the problem that we are just beginning to understand, that the heads fill with oil at 5k+ rpm and it doesn't drain back to the sump fast enough. The sump then can go dry and you know what happens next.
Are there any schematics, diagrams of how the M5 deals with this?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Given the 45 degree cant from vertical of the cylinder banks, natural return of oil to the sump might have been inadequate during extreme cornering. Thus, engineers devised a unique system to ensure effective engine lubrication at all times. In addition to the main oil pressure pump, there are two scavenging suction pumps, one for each cylinder bank. In normal and light cornering conditions, oil from the heads and main bearings flow back into the semi-dry sump at the rear of the engine via the two suction pumps. In hard cornering 0.9g or more, the Dynamic Stability Control system's lateral-g sensor switches magnetic valves to reroute oil extraction points to alternate locations the outer sides of the heads and sump preventing a backup of oil collecting in the outside of the head, thus avoiding potential oil starvation. This system remains active even if the driver switches off the Dynamic Stability Control.

The rest of the article can be found here BMW S62 : S62

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. The more I know the more I think I need an e39 M5. S62...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts