BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'd like to share with everyone something special I've been working on over the past few months. I will be doing a full write up on this in the weeks to come so stay tuned. Would like to give a HUGE thanks to those that have helped make this possible (Rhmorris, Chris Fletcher from Fletcher Made Horsepower, and Peter Partee from the famous S62 Shop) It is a ton of work, time dedication, math, and communication, and still isn't nearly over! I've included the details on the engine build below:

Engine bored and honed
Custom Nikasil cylinder walls
Crankshaft balanced and blueprinted

Mahle Motorsport team PTG lightweight pistons via Chris Fletcher/FMH
Mahle Motorsport team PTG lightweight wrist pins
Total Seal gapless piston rings
BMW AG Motorsport 280/272 team PTG camshafts via Chris Fletcher
CNC'd racing cylinder heads via Peter Partee/S62 Shop and Dusty Renteria
Eibach TRD reinforced valve springs
Schrick solid lifters via Peter/S62 Shop
Supertech valve lash caps
VANOS delete kit via Chris Fletcher
Secondary air pump delete via Peter/S62 Shop
Carbon fiber roof via Axis Power Racing

Its going to be a great build and feel free to ask any questions on the hell I went through to get to this point, lol. Other mods on the car are in my sig.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Looks like a great list. Curious as to your thinking regarding the VANOS delete. Is this going to be a track oriented car?

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Good stuff, Jackson! I wish you had decided to let us put it all together for you, but you definitely selected some great components! Make sure you get the PTW clearance and the ring gaps right, and I would suggest WPC coating for your bearings (very inexpensive), but otherwise all good!

--Peter

PS: Let me add that I truly DIG all these wicked cool S62 builds going on! S62s FTW!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the projected power figures for this engine? And the ballpark price for all that work?

I can't help but think it was monstrously expensive...
Not as bad as one would think! Camshafts were the biggest cost I can tell you, but a huge reason it is costing less is due to the fact that a lot of the work was/is done by myself with help from board member Rhmorris. Cutting out labor can save big $$$ in the long run, and the projected HP numbers from the PTG engines with Vanos delete are around 560-570 BHP....but we will see I'm very nervous about getting it tuned!

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like a great list. Curious as to your thinking regarding the VANOS delete. Is this going to be a track oriented car?
Great question! It will from now on be more of a track oriented setup, but still taken on the streets for most of its use. I live in a rural area near Wisconsin so no stop/go traffic issues to worry about! The big factor that played into the Vanos delete was that in order for these big cams to operate properly without piston to valve contact

1. dummy springs installed on the heads
2. long block engine assembled and torqued
3. vanos put into different positions and crank rotated to see how much max vanos travel could be achieved safely
4. engine disassembled and real valve springs put in
5. special flat washer made to limit the travel on the vanos
6. engine re-assembled

With Vanos delete kit yes it should only be used for track oriented cars given the power band, but it is easy to set it and forget about if it is going to run right! It will loose about 35 ft. lbs. on the low end though, so its definitely a trade off.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good stuff, Jackson! I wish you had decided to let us put it all together for you, but you definitely selected some great components! Make sure you get the PTW clearance and the ring gaps right, and I would suggest WPC coating for your bearings (very inexpensive), but otherwise all good!

--Peter

PS: Let me add that I truly DIG all these wicked cool S62 builds going on! S62s FTW!
Thanks Peter! You help with getting the heads set up for me was top notch and invaluable! One hiccup we just ran into was that the pistons don't seem to fit right at TDC. The piston deck is a bit over the deck of the block by an unacceptable amount, so may need to go with thicker head gasket, and the Eibach springs were having some issues fitting on the seats. The clearances are all good for PTW and rings were just gapped last week to Total Seal's recommended specs. S62 FTW!

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Thanks Peter! You help with getting the heads set up for me was top notch and invaluable! One hiccup we just ran into was that the pistons don't seem to fit right at TDC. The piston deck is a bit over the deck of the block by an unacceptable amount, so may need to go with thicker head gasket, and the Eibach springs were having some issues fitting on the seats. The clearances are all good for PTW and rings were just gapped last week to Total Seal's recommended specs. S62 FTW!
That is a common occurrence and easily remedied by going first oversize on the BMW head gasket.

The springs on your heads were brand new, so let me know if you want to part with them!

--Peter

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
most recent photos...you can really see the difference in the spring sizes! Peter absolutely will part ways with the OE if we can find the right Eibach size!

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
So let's say you dyno around 550whp, isn't that pretty close to what a bolt-on ESS Supercharger will give you on stock internals? I mean, the throttle response will be different and a supercharged engine isn't quite the same as a built NA, but I'm just sorta thinking out loud here.

I want to build up an engine at some point too, but since I have no money it'll likely be a Chevy big block—*much cheaper to get power out of those. Totally different power delivery though.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
why dosnt your machine shop just shave the top of the piston and coat it

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why dosnt your machine shop just shave the top of the piston and coat it
Its not just one of the pistons it would be all of them then compression could be thrown off. We will do thicker head gasket!

·
Registered
539 Posts
So let's say you dyno around 550whp, isn't that pretty close to what a bolt-on ESS Supercharger will give you on stock internals? I mean, the throttle response will be different and a supercharged engine isn't quite the same as a built NA, but I'm just sorta thinking out loud here.
Maybe it's a "journey vs. destination" scenario.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe it's a "journey vs. destination" scenario.

Yes similar to that, and this was defiantly a situation where the journey took many twists and turns ultimately leading up to this point. At first, the build was supposed to be Peter's performance cylinder heads to go along with the 268 cams I already had on the car and refresh the timing guides/rod bearings. After opening up the engine, noticed there was significant damage to the piston tops and bottom of the old heads from what looked like little ball bearings that got into the engine at some point in its life! Engine was running fine no indications of an issue, but didn't want to put those awesome heads on damaged pistons nonetheless!

That lead me to search out for some "upgraded" pistons while the opportunity was there. The pistons I was offered were PTG spares from Chris. While they fit S62 and were lightweight Mahle units, were only made for a Nikasil liner, so I shipped the block to get the treatment done, did a bunch of math, got the rings, and then was offered a deal on the camshafts since the pistons had large valve reliefs for the cams. After purchasing the cams, learned that they were a solid profile and needed solid lifters, along with a specific way to time the cams which lead to the vanos delete! Now putting together the engine and very tricky with all of the custom parts with little knowledge on their specs makes it even more of a stress-fest!

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I truly admire the skills & patience involved in going down this route, good luck to you sir on what I see as an extremely interesting and unique build.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts