BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

S62 (M5 E39 engine) powered E30 M3!

26K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  M5BHP 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
What the **** happened to that poor M5?! :eek:

I wonder what the weight distribution & performance are like for that E30 - surely it must very nose heavy ??????

#4 ·
I wonder what the s62 weight is, vs the s14. Those I4's were cast iron, right? Weight might not be too far off... That car will be a rocket.
Mike

#5 ·
The archaic E30 rear suspension is overdutied with 300 HP & the rest of the chassis is a poor match for the motor. This is the euro equivalent to shoe-horning a 351 Cleveland into a Pinto.

IMO......too much money, technology & customization. The finished product will hardly hang with an 11 second $3K supercharged Mustang.

#6 · (Edited)
Lscman said:
The archaic E30 rear suspension is overdutied with 300 HP & the rest of the chassis is a poor match for the motor. This is the euro equivalent to shoe-horning a 351 Cleveland into a Pinto.
Yeah, right. Everyone whines about the E30 rear suspension but the d*mn thing just works.

Weight distribution - I'd guess the S62 probably adds 100lb to the nose, don't think the S14 is particularly light, the weight distribution of this conversion shouldn't be much worse than a 6-cylinder 325i, at least in big-bumper US-market form. It looks like the bulk of the S62 (and maybe its front-sump pan) kept the engine a couple inches further forward than would have been ideal, though.

This is a pretty piece of work. I'm not sure it's an improvement over what you'd get with, say, a Chevy LS6 crate motor swapped into an E30 M3, though. You don't have to worry about crossmember clearance to the pan-mounted oil pump in those.

#9 ·
I suppose the real question is who is going to get a E60 V10 + 7speed SMG into an E39 M5.

On second thoughts, better forget the SMG and put a proper gearbox in! :haha:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.