BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty regularly, I hear M5 owners complain about heat soak due to the proximity of the IAT sensors to warm things engine engine bay. Living in south Texas, this is a concern for me. Anyone have any success stories, or recommended kits?

Car I'll be buying (and installing this on) will probably have a Dinan intake, if that makes a difference.

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
The relocation is a real success for everyone that uses it. You do not suffer from the heatsoak of the MAF temperature sensor and therefore the power remains more consistent.

The car your looking at buying probably already has this if it has a Dinan intake kit.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
So I have a question I was planning on posting, but I will add it to this thread for now.

I have a Dinan CAI with the temp sensor relocated behind the kindey area, BUT it is in the way of my brake duct I am installing.

After a lot of thought, the location seems somewhat foolish to me.

I am thinking if I have to move it, to relocated it inside the passenger side air filter in the fender well. I will not place it inside the carbon fiber tube, but probabaly installed it in the air filter itself, with a hole next to the 3 inch opening that connected to the carbon fiber air intake. This way the "real" intake air temp will be captured and the sensor will be out of my way. Yes this makes changing the air filter a bit more tricky, but you do not do this often.

Any thoughts if this is good or bad??

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The relocation is a real success for everyone that uses it. You do not suffer from the heatsoak of the MAF temperature sensor and therefore the power remains more consistent.

The car your looking at buying probably already has this if it has a Dinan intake kit.
Well, I don't think so - As far as I'm aware, it just has the cone filters and tubes - nothing else. So the MAFs are still stock. But I haven't given the Dinan stuff a good looking-at, so maybe I'm wrong. I was looking into the Alpha-N stuff, where the MAFs are rendered useless, but that's a bit expensive for my tastes, at the moment.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
If you want to do some bedtime reading, there is a ton of information about this mod on the board. No consensus, of course...otherwise I'd have done it a while ago.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Mike - are you talking about the top of the OEM airbox, or the cone filter? I ask because I need to install mine but am not sure where to put it.

I have OEM intakes and filters.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Get into the intake air temp reading in the secret menu, Test six i think third option, and set your OBC to degrees centigrade (so you dont have to do the conversion as IAT is in degrees C)...And you can watch intake temp vs ambient: No matter what you will be getting hotter intake temps while sitting still, the longer the higher. The only solution would be a heat proof tube sticking way out of the car somehow....

If you do this you will really see why power is usually way down after sitting, With the Dinan Intake and fog light covers opened up, the air temp drops rapidly and goes to ambient once you get moving, but no matter where i located the sensor temps go up when stopped (even outside in the fog light void!)...

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Reactions: crds

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
That sounds rather easy to do compared to any other suggestions. May we see a pic? Is there only one sensor?

Thanks!

-crds
Just one sensor.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Mike - are you talking about the top of the OEM airbox, or the cone filter? I ask because I need to install mine but am not sure where to put it.

I have OEM intakes and filters.
Dinan CAI. For the OEM setup, you'll want to drill into the bottom half of the airbox and mount it in there. I guess you could do the top as well, but it just makes for more stuff you need to disconnect to change/clean filters.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I guess you could do the top as well, but it just makes for more stuff you need to disconnect to change/clean filters.
Probably don't want the top to avoid any chance of getting any type of debris from entering the engine. At least below, it would have to go through the filter.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
So I have a question I was planning on posting, but I will add it to this thread for now.

I have a Dinan CAI with the temp sensor relocated behind the kindey area, BUT it is in the way of my brake duct I am installing.

After a lot of thought, the location seems somewhat foolish to me.

I am thinking if I have to move it, to relocated it inside the passenger side air filter in the fender well. I will not place it inside the carbon fiber tube, but probabaly installed it in the air filter itself, with a hole next to the 3 inch opening that connected to the carbon fiber air intake. This way the "real" intake air temp will be captured and the sensor will be out of my way. Yes this makes changing the air filter a bit more tricky, but you do not do this often.

Any thoughts if this is good or bad??
I'm not understanding why you would install the sensor inside of the air filter. If it is in the way of the brake ducts, simply move it up. All you need to do is drill a hole and tighten the bolt. I installed both the CAI and the IATS and it is pretty simple. The location is fine as well if it is installed correctly. It is taking air temperature reading from the outside air and not the head soaked under the hood temperature.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
My philosophy is that with the IAT mounted behind the bumper and in front of the radiator, when stopped in traffic, you have very little airflow past the sensor and you will be picking up reflective heat from the AC condenser and the radiator, more than likely giving you higher than "intake" air temps. Yes I could move the sensor a few inches from where it is currently located, but again the location makes no sense.

If I mount the temp sensor actually inside the air filter, then I am actually always moving air when the engine is running. I will be measuring the actual intake air temp, even the air is partially warmed up from the engine compartment, but again, when the engine is running, there will always be moving past the air sensor probe.
m, it
Seems rather pointless have the sensor mounted behind the bumper.

You need to realize because of my Dinan CAI, the air filters are located behind the fog lights, for the most part out of the engine compartment, but could partially heat soak. But if there is a heat soak problem, it would be most likely when the car is shut down when warm. Once the car is started and the engine starts drawing air, then the temp sensor soak should be removed rather quickly.

I may be wrong, but I plan on moving the sensor to inside the air filter that is located behind the fog light opening. If it does not work out, I will consider moving it back, however, I do not expect that I will be worse off.

I actually have slightly larger K&N filters with a larger ledge around the filter intake, so there may be room to mount it in the rubber collar next to the filter opening, the other options are to mount it directly in the bottom of the filter, however, I do not believe that this location will get the most airflow. I may also be able to just drop the sensor inside the filter with the wires coming through the filter opening and having the rubber collar and hose clamp seal around the wiring.

I was watching the IAT vs Ambient temp sensor last night with 65 F weather and no sun. The IAT was a few degrees warmer than the ambient, but I have yet to sit in traffic on a hot sunny day to observe the behavior.

At least with the IAT inside the air filter, whether you are stopped or moving, there will always be fresh air moving over the sensor and you will not have the reflective heat from the AC condenser and radiator influencing the sensor temp.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Best spot is drilled into the top of the passenger side filter.
+1, that is where mine is mounted.......
Any differends passenger/driver side installation?
And what do you mean "top of the passenger side filter"? Do you mean that new temp sensor is "after" the air filter?

I did install Evolve's IATS kit to driver side airbox, _under_ the air filter. Now it seems to get "straight" air from the air channel.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Any differends passenger/driver side installation?
And what do you mean "top of the passenger side filter"? Do you mean that new temp sensor is "after" the air filter?

I did install Evolve's IATS kit to driver side airbox, _under_ the air filter. Now it seems to get "straight" air from the air channel.
That's where I installed mine as well. Pulls the air temp down to ambient faster than the stock location, based on what I observed.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
If you want to do some bedtime reading, there is a ton of information about this mod on the board. No consensus, of course...otherwise I'd have done it a while ago.
I'm glad you pointed that out. This is exactly why I haven't done this mod yet myself. I think for now I will just leave it alone...

1 - 20 of 69 Posts