BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

tomorrow I get the final ALPHA-N software from Evolve Automotive http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...gs/155248-e39-m5-ecu-upgrades-inc-alphan.html

As soon as it is installed,you get my impressions.

I will also take some pics how people who do not have an intake air temp relocation kit deal with the MAF delete.

My car has at the moment stock cams inside,so it is quite a good reference for all you guys out there running stock S62s...

Was long time not so much excited as for this mod!

No idea how I survive the next 20 hours waiting for the post guy:D

Keep you updated....

·
Registered
958 Posts
Good luck Raikku - let us know how it goes and document the install (if you are moving air intake and sensors around).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Yo buddy.

Sorry, just so I understand, the MAF's are removed right? So you are being sent new intake pipes etc?

Sounds very interesting. Sal could sell the software to BMW!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For now it is only disconnecting the MAFs.But as the air temp sensor is in the bank2 MAF,I'll show you guys without IATS relocation kit how to do it;)

A complete different intake system follows very soon!!

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gotcha. Look forward to your wite up dude.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Subscribed, you are the man Raikku :)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Interesting. Not sure removing the mafs will be the most robust design for long term engine health, but kudos for being one of the first...

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Interesting. Not sure removing the mafs will be the most robust design for long term engine health, but kudos for being one of the first...

The Alpha-N has no negative impact on engine life.
I would rather say that incorrect MAF readings have an impact on it and lead to funny issues we all know.

CSL engines run also Alpha-N and do not blow more or less than normal E46 M3 engines!

·
Registered
238 Posts
As i stated in Evolve's thread, I am VERY interested to see the results.

Instead of spending the money on a set of new MAFs, it would be nice to invest that money in something like this that will actually cure more headaches than just replacing the mafs alone would.

Thanks for being the guinea pig for this one, I'm sure you cant wait to get your beast back!!!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Instead of spending the money on a set of new MAFs, it would be nice to invest that money in something like this that will actually cure more headaches than just replacing the mafs alone would.
Exactly what I am thinking:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
The Alpha-N has no negative impact on engine life.
I would rather say that incorrect MAF readings have an impact on it and lead to funny issues we all know.

CSL engines run also Alpha-N and do not blow more or less than normal E46 M3 engines!
How does Alpha N deal with a bad O2 sensor- or a degrading O2 causing drift in AFR?

I totally agree that bad mafs have a detrimental effect on engine performance and cause codes. But that isn't a reason to abandon a certain control system.

Do you get more power with Alpha-N? (sounds like no appreciable difference over the stock power band, you only get a few more at the top of the rpm curve due to a higher limit- which we all know is foolish)

What is the benefit? Why should I take my perfectly running S62- perfect fuel trims, no AA codes, no maf codes... and add the Alpha N? Is it any different, in terms of performance, than a Powerchip or Dinan tune?

Have there been detailed dyno charts showing AFR posted anywhere?

A

·
Registered
991 Posts
ard, one reason why I am interested in it is because you can easily increase the diameter of your intake pipes without needing new MAF housings(like the ones from Dinan). If you check the thread in the group by forum there is a little bit more information on the matter. However, other than that I don't think much more is gained that you couldn't get out of a powerchip flash. Also, the increased rev limiter is always optional if that is what you are talking about. I have never had a problem with the MAFs in my car and am still reading 140 but would rather not have them. It opens up more possibilties to have a more powerful NA engine.

vantaam5 how often to you change out the cams in your car? ouich

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The advantage is better throttle response as the MAF readings are slow.
Also freedom in the design of the intake system.

A bad O2-sensor has on Alpha-N the same impact as on a MAF system.
The primary function of MAFs is to keep the emissions as low as possible.
The ECU assumes with the airflow readings of the MAF the air density.

The compensation for air density is done in Alpha-N via air temp and barometric pressure.

The AFR do not change compared to stock.

·
Registered
991 Posts
vantaam5, the throttle response says it is improved with the Dinan/Powerchip flash. Is it greater than that because the loss of the MAFS?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
vantaam5 how often to you change out the cams in your car? ouich
Not so often.
But there are some mods in development I try on the dyno.
Also I do a dyno run with Sal's power remap.

So to have a comparision with dyno charts,I thought it is only fair if I throw the Schrick cams out.
Nobody can say I cheat,then:M5thumbs:

I check my cam timing btw every 25k as I found out that these cars are off already from the factory.
This is a fact known also from E46 M3s that is often not mentioned.

This explains also a bit why there is close to 400hp cars and 380hp only cars around.

·
Registered
519 Posts
We are living exciting times here in Vantaa nowdays ouich

Raikku; I will drop the docking station tomorrow for you too... Lets hope that it works :cheers:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
vantaam5, the throttle response says it is improved with the Dinan/Powerchip flash. Is it greater than that because the loss of the MAFS?
With these remaps,the throttle response curve is only reshaped to get rid of the issue.

With the Alpha-N there is almost no reshaping needed as this is mostly down to slow MAF reading.

I drove a Shark car before,tell you more about the differences after tomorrow when I try the Alpha-N.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We are living exciting times here in Vantaa nowdays ouich

Raikku; I will drop the docking station tomorrow for you too... Lets hope that it works :cheers:
No need for the docking station,buddy!
Problem sorted!

What will be the effect of the Alpha-N is that these cars have a sharp and linear throttle response like a car with throttle wire.
This is what I was looking for the whole time and the remap I had also could not cure!

1 - 20 of 346 Posts