BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a engine who got a smashed electric generator, so i need to buy a new.
Is it the same generator as on a m62?
Or can i use from something else?
Checked bmwfans but it only say that only the s62 electric generator will fit.

Anyone got one for sale?

Need a fast answer, thx Steffen.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Just to clarify, are you referring to the 'alternator'?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
No probs, just thought it would clarify for anyone who could maybe help... :)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
My alternator is next on My list... I need to find a good spot to get it rebuilt its not down on power but the bushing makes a squeaking sound when the car is warmed up... Def the Bearings... I may just drop the $800 on a new one...

If I recall Herrubermench was getting some info on a company reputable enough to rebuild but I havnt seen any updates yet...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mailed the two people who sell them on ebay, but will it make a difference if i buy one form m62?
I'm using my s62 engine in my e30 so if its 120a or 150 will it make a difference?

Thanks for help guys.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
the mountingpoints are different between the s62 and m62

you need the real deal unfortunatly.

mfizzlenyc, i did a refurb on my alternator. it was 250$ so against the 800$new its a no brainer
after refurb its like brand new

every $ worth , after the refurb my car always started right up, before i sometimes needed 2 attempts.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Surprised the M62 jobby is a higher current, do they have a house-sized battery too?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
where is the alternator $800? It's only $600 for a reman'd unit from Tischer and that's without any core charge. And a reman'd Bosch unit from Tuner, as I posted above, comes out to around $420 after shipping and core charge refund. Seems pretty reasonable to me.

Reactions: mfizzlenyc

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
the mountingpoints are different between the s62 and m62

you need the real deal unfortunatly.

mfizzlenyc, i did a refurb on my alternator. it was 250$ so against the 800$new its a no brainer
after refurb its like brand new

every $ worth , after the refurb my car always started right up, before i sometimes needed 2 attempts.

Thanks for the reply... wow I don't get anything remote to your situation my car starts on the first second I turn the key I barely hear the car turn just the explosion of the motor firing.... I guess its a good thing... Im gonna def gonna have it rebuilt especially since my symptoms are just bearings squeaking

thanks again

btw what company did you use? I see your in Europe so I think I need to find some one over here...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
where is the alternator $800? .
Compact alternator BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62)

852$ on real oem

<TABLE id=parts_table class=list_table border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%"><TBODY><TR onmouseover="mouseover('01');" onmouseout="mouseout('01');" onclick="select_position2('01');"><TD id=tr_01 class=row_selected vAlign=center rowSpan=2 align=middle>

</TD><!--option_end
<1>--><!--option_begin
<2>--><TR onmouseover="mouseover('01');" onmouseout="mouseout('01');" onclick="select_position2('01');"><TD id=select_2>Compact alternator</TD><TD id=select_1 vAlign=center align=middle>12 31 1 407 440
</TD><TD id=select_1 colSpan=2>120A
</TD><TD id=select_1 class=lite_text align=middle></TD><TD id=select_1 class=lite_text align=middle>1</TD><TD id=select_1 align=middle>7.445 kg / 16.413 lb </TD><TD id=select_1 align=middle>€600.00
$852.24
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></P>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts