BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How much would a used S62 engine cost with a tranny and all the parts?

I want to make a swap to a 325, gonna be one beasty sleeper :)

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
The engine alone is about $24,000. I believe that Hartge did that already.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
First you'd have to find one... no idea how much that would cost. I don't think that you'd just be able to find an used one unless maybe you happened to come across one in a junk yard (highly unlikely).

·
Registered
27 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
The current market for a good (i.e., no apparent crash damage) M5 engine and transmission is in the ballpark of $20K with the DME, keys and engine wiring harness. Buying all the parts needed for a complete engine and transmission new from BMW will add up to about $60K. The transmission is a relative bargain at less than $5K. Installing this in other than an E39 chassis will require aftermarket controls (Motec), meaning big bucks and emissions non-compliance (and if this is what you want, it will be cheaper to simply buy a used M5). Drive-by-wire and 4 VANOS units to control is beyond the capability of all previous BMW DME setups.

The shop where I work is installing this drive train into an E46 M3 race car right now. Engine swap headers are available from PTG as partially-welded pieces for something less than $10K and are worth every penny (they clear the steering column/rack). The stock oil pan and 2-stage pump will not fit the E36/E46 chassis, so dry sump is needed. The engine mounts are non-trivial, as (1) they are located well forward of the E36/E46 location, and (2) the LH engine mount also sends oil to and from the filter. This is not shade tree mechanic stuff. On the other hand, there are now a few S54 into E36 conversions that are a bolt in by comparison.

Regards, Dick Roberts

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can take a lower cost, low-tech approach and buy a brand-new Chevy pushrod crate motor with >400hp for less than $5000. Check out Sallee Chevrolet's website (Oregon). An injected LS6 5.7 liter from the 2004 Corvette goes for $7400. $10K gets you a 630hp, 605 lb/ft 8.2 liter big block.

I'd better shut up now before I'm shown the door and directed to another forum.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
tomlavelle said:
You can take a lower cost, low-tech approach and buy a brand-new Chevy pushrod crate motor with >400hp for less than $5000. Check out Sallee Chevrolet's website (Oregon). An injected LS6 5.7 liter from the 2004 Corvette goes for $7400. $10K gets you a 630hp, 605 lb/ft 8.2 liter big block.

I'd better shut up now before I'm shown the door and directed to another forum.
Ford and Chevy both offer race program EFI V8 motors in the $3K-$7K range, including complete engine management packages. These are plug-and-play solutions designed for hot-rodding & they are compatible with any rolling chassis that you can physically shoehorn them into. Complications are minimal, but emissions legality is questionable.

When you're mixing new and old vintages of BMW powerplants between models, the electronics become a bad nightmare. Obviously a $23K S62 can be shoehorned into a $7K 325i chassis, if you have another $5K for labor. Such a project is insane. I am watching the ///M344 project on another station...the highly skilled manhours being expended are incredible.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts