BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Got it started today! Very un-dramatic. Slow to start and then fired up like a champ. No awful noises. Two small oil leaks, which is amazing, Both from fittings, one that wasn't tightened and the other may need a new hose end (AN fittings). It's got some odd vibration that does not appear to be a misfire of any kind (no CEL). Rick is thinking maybe flywheel or clutch being out of balance. More research to be done - but the motor itself seems great.

As soon as I can figure out a reasonable way of posting a video of the start I will. I guess we'll see if this works?

Video on Google Drive

Please PM me about the piston specs. I may be interested. We almost always run either JE asymmetrics (superior design) or Mahle (custom two-ringed for the DP motors), but interested in the specs of your CPs. Thanks.
I'll get those for you and send them over!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
So it appears that they sent us the wrong flywheel - it appears to be for an E60 M5. Always something. New one ordered!

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
So it appears that they sent us the wrong flywheel - it appears to be for an E60 M5. Always something. New one ordered!
That's odd. I've never worked on an e60 M5, but I'm surprised the timing ring was similar enough to allow it to run at all. Hopefully they don't send you a 540 flywheel :) nearly identical besides the gap position of the crank sensor ring.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That's odd. I've never worked on an e60 M5, but I'm surprised the timing ring was similar enough to allow it to run at all. Hopefully they don't send you a 540 flywheel :) nearly identical besides the gap position of the crank sensor ring.
Yeah - we had the same thought! Well now we know to be a lot more careful lol

41 - 44 of 44 Posts