BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i was very proud to have had my engine rebuilt to stock spec with sleeves and vac piston rings, you sir have taken it to the next level. what a clean clean job. well done :D
I'll tell Rick you said so - I can take no credit other than supplying to the tools to let the artist do his work! I've rebuilt a few Honda and Toyota motors in the day but this is a whole new level.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
All this talk with no pictures? In the words of JB “Come on mannnnnn”
Pictures are in the first post. Lots of goodness in there. :)

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Nice work! I like the satin black... helps make it look slightly more OE, but definitely like it belongs. I would have preferred the blower on my RK setup was black as well but I didn't buy the initial kit.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Nice work! I like the satin black... helps make it look slightly more OE, but definitely like it belongs. I would have preferred the blower on my RK setup was black as well but I didn't buy the initial kit.
If it ever gets time off for good behavior, you can take the bits off and go them re-finished. That turned out better than I expected.

So it's all in the car and it looks great - but after shaking the rest of the cereal out of the box, we missed a piece. The lead time is so long we're not going to delay assembly for it. If (when) it really bothers me we'll get it done on the off season. Added these images and a few more the to gallery view

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Some cool, probably very unnecessary stuff. I'm sure most of you have had your high pressure power steering hose fail on some BMW at some point - sadly that's the one hose we can't seem to custom make because of all the hard line and custom shielding on it since it's right next to the exhaust. But, I think mostly just to stop me complaining about it, Rick is making a ton of custom hoses from Earls speedflex hose. Everything but the high pressure power steering line and a few fuel lines. Here is a pic of the OEM vs the Earls:

OEM:

Earls:

And some nice adapting to AN fittings:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Added a few more pictures to the gallery album. Getting a fan to fit in there with that 8 rib pulley has been fun. Rick wanted to go with something easy to get; so he grabbed an E60 535i fan (since we had some) and managed to chop a lot of the unneeded plastic bracket-try off. Then made a custom fan shroud to fit around it. It'll all get painted and finished

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Looking good. What's the CFM of the 535 fan? You might want to cut some "flaps" into the open surfaces of the shroud so you can move more air at speed. This helps more than a fan at bringing temps down.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Looking good. What's the CFM of the 535 fan? You might want to cut some "flaps" into the open surfaces of the shroud so you can move more air at speed. This helps more than a fan at bringing temps down.
I can't find much for CFM specs on that fan - but it cools my very very modified 535i pretty well. And a good idea on the flaps - though it is a 17" fan so a lot of the radiator is uncovered already. It's certainly a work in progress and a version 1

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
So; our attempts at using a standard N54 cooling fan didn't pan out. Apparently it's not a simple PWM fan - and some basic research may have turned this up lol:

WDS Help Needed: Aux Fan Wiring!

So, after that we ordered a spal fan and started the process all over again with a modified stock fan shroud instead of the really cool custom one that Rick made. Added some more images to the album.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Looks tight! How does it run?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Looks tight! How does it run?
I wish I knew! Hopefully we're be starting it up this weekend - I was waiting for some exhaust parts from Jed, but he's moving his shop and behind so we're going to fab up something quick and dirty to get it running.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Nicely done build!

Please PM me about the piston specs. I may be interested. We almost always run either JE asymmetrics (superior design) or Mahle (custom two-ringed for the DP motors), but interested in the specs of your CPs. Thanks.

--Peter

21 - 40 of 44 Posts