BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

So; I wish I could claim I was doing the work, but time and life have made it hard for me to do. That being said, my friend Rick at Dirty Euro Customs in SLC, UT is amazing and he's doing the heavy lifting (pretty much all the lifting). My first try at using the boards gallery system let me know how it works. VAC sleeved the block for us and built us a set of their "Stage 3" racing heads with oversized valves. It's got Schrick cams (also from VAC) and a set of CP Carrillo Pistons / Rods. This is the engine I wanted to Gulf oil cooler for (see other thread). We also have an Evolve super charger kit that we just got back from anodizing in flat black.

Shout out to Jed's amazing headers and a custom 3.62 rear diff from Jim at Performance Gearing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pics look great! Let us know how it goes with the build. I’m in need of a S62 refresh /rebuild shop here in Denver area but Salt Lake is a doable drive with the engine if I need to find a great shop....

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics look great! Let us know how it goes with the build. I’m in need of a S62 refresh /rebuild shop here in Denver area but Salt Lake is a doable drive with the engine if I need to find a great shop....
Just google the shop and give Rick a call. Admittedly I'm his silent business partner so I'm biased, but he does amazing work. At one point, I had 5 E39 M5's so I think he can probably take them apart in his sleep by now.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Gives me flashbacks... Good luck with your build.

The Dinan diff is already short for SC car. You may see interesting boost numbers in 1st and 2nd gear.

How much PSI you planning to run?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gives me flashbacks... Good luck with your build.

How much PSI you planning to run?
I worried that may be the case; I'll adjust if needed. The original plan was to do a high compression NA build, which is when I ordered the diff. Given how much air those heads are going to flow, I'm not sure what we'll actually see. But we're running on whatever the Evolve Stage 2 kit is - I'm not sure what that is at the moment.

Speaking of that, if anyone wants a beautiful set of CP pistons for a slightly higher compression build let me know I have a set.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
It’s 2 much engine for what ever stage 2 kit comes with, but that’s all up you. You can run more engine power than additional psi or turn the psi up and weld everything. Lol. Should be a lot of fun when it’s done.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s 2 much engine for what ever stage 2 kit comes with, but that’s all up you. You can run more engine power than additional psi or turn the psi up and weld everything. Lol. Should be a lot of fun when it’s done.
Yeah - it's my fault for changing direction mid-project (high compression NA to SC), but Evolve doesn't do anything past their Stage 2. So; I figured that we'd get it on the road and drivable and then do some tinkering. I'm sure we could throw a LOT more boost in there, but we may be at the upper end of what their blower can supply even if we make a smaller pulley. We'll have to burn that bridge when we come to it :)

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Dang...

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
By the way. I hope emission regulations are better than SoCal. I am not sure if you have smog requirements

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the way. I hope emission regulations are better than SoCal. I am not sure if you have smog requirements
Yeah we've recently become very careful with that since the EPA has really started to crack down on certain things. We've got full race cats and all that stuff (thanks Jed!). So, although quite modified it should pass a sniffer test which is what they'd require here. Unless someone yells about it, as long as it reports a ready drive cycle, no errors, and passes a human test to check for the emissions components it should pass.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
It changed here. They read the Can Data and all monitors.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It changed here. They read the Can Data and all monitors.
Here the key is to not get your VIN on the "naughty list" - once it's flagged you have to go to a special state emissions location. This would be obvious emissions circumvention and a failure due to that. On my car, all monitors should read as "ok" since we're not bypassing anything and a visual inspection should show all emissions components are in place. Let's hope!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Who is tuning the car?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Who is tuning the car?
Well; for the first try we were going to use the Evolve base tune and then do the usual few dyno pulls and remote tuning with the actual Evolve folks, this is included in their price of course. I was only so-so happy with this process on my Active Autowerke E46 M3 kit back in the day - so I hope it's gotten better. If that's not quite where we want to go I'll look for options - I'm always looking to learn from other peoples mistakes / work if you have any suggestions.

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Don’t let them lock your DME and let them know of your state smog laws. Things are not as simple as before.

Reactions: triksterut

·
Registered
09/25/00
288 Posts
Cant wait to do the same built, just taller gears. Let us know how it turns out. BTW, what is the time frame from start to finish about?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cant wait to do the same built, just taller gears. Let us know how it turns out. BTW, what is the time frame from start to finish about?
Yeah, I think I'm going to have another diff made with stock gearing and throw this one in another car. The time frame on this was a lot of waiting on and/or locating parts. Probably about 12 months from go to now. A lot of things are just not available - oil pumps for example.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This is bananas. What a picture of glory sitting there almost all buttoned up with the Jedders on there, god so gorgeous!

Please post some vids here of sound and driving once you got it all together.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i was very proud to have had my engine rebuilt to stock spec with sleeves and vac piston rings, you sir have taken it to the next level. what a clean clean job. well done :D

1 - 20 of 44 Posts