BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..how you all been..

Well i have a 2000 M5 here in Kuwait..i bought the car way cheap compared with the asking here..bought it from a guy that doesn't spend a penny but the car is in a good condition compared to what i figured out from the way he speaks about the Beast !!

Driving the car now for 3 months..took it for service..and the guy after changing the oil and the oil on the meter is on the right level he made a mistake..he did add some lubricants like engine protect..ceratech..etc..so add one more litter may be one & a half of lubricants to the oil level in 2 months it went below the upper mark of the oil meter..telling me the oil is less !! so i did add one more litter a week ago and its back to the right level again..this morning its less again it lower than the upper mark again..!!

Is that normal..putting in mind that i dun push the car hard..as i have a plan of tuning it in a year or so..some told me yes that's normal and others were like hell no !!

Any body rebuilt his engine..pistons..rings..rods..etc..from where did you get them and what was the prices..??

Guys i bought this car after reading a lot on this forum..so please if you have any tips..advice..info or whatever..please update me as this car is my wife to me..

Thanks to you all..

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
First of all,additives and overfilling is not good on these cars.

What viscosity is the oil you use.

And what is the consuption of oil in liters per km?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all,additives and overfilling is not good on these cars.

What viscosity is the oil you use.

And what is the consumption of oil in liters per km?
Never measured the liters per km..and i use castrol Edge sport 10w-60

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Isn't the figure of 1 litre per 1000km's an accepted figure? That strikes me as something around, a quick Google says that anything less than 1 litre every 400 miles is 'within acceptable limits' according to BMW. As usual, happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Without this information,the whole thing is utter useless...

We need this info as a reference,please.

Fill it up to top mark,then record your mileage until you need to top up again.

Regarding the parts for rebuild...

For all parts I go BMW original on the engines I build.

If pistons/sleeves are needed,CP and Darton.Rods Carillo,Arrow,...

Cams Schrick..

Regarding the price question:expensive for stock engines,more for modified.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Sorry guys, just realized I read the last post wrong and therefore stuck up some completely random numbers. Ooops.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Castrol Edge Sport 10-60 is the incorrect oil for M cars

You should be using Edge 10-60 (NOTE NON SPORT) It clearly states For BMW M engines

M5 use Oil Period. Some use a lot, some a little. Mine does about 1ltr every 1500-2000 miles others use 1ltr every 400 miles

Reactions: nerio02

·
Registered
732 Posts
I would look at your valve cover gaskets as well, I was losing a lot of oil from those, as now my oil consumption has dropped significantly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hello pal

i'm from kuwait too :)

check out your valves they can drop some oil into the intakes
Sniper...so happy to find somone from the same land..hope we meet some day..plus if you want to tune your car then my shop is the place to be here in Kuwait..i'm the dealer of schmiedmann..evolve..turner..evosport..etc..hope you can take a look @ my beast too since you experience with it :)

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
...and the guy after changing the oil and the oil on the meter is on the right level he made a mistake..he did add some lubricants like engine protect..ceratech..etc..so add one more litter may be one & a half of lubricants to the oil level in 2 months it went below the upper mark of the oil meter..telling me the oil is less !! so i did add one more litter a week ago and its back to the right level again..this morning its less again it lower than the upper mark again..!!

my shop is the place to be here in Kuwait..

I have trouble reconciling these two posts... how can you be so utterly clueless about putting oil into a motor, yet "your shop" is the place to be????

People are asking "how much oil do you use"..... here you go. Simple process: Fill the oil to SOME level, top, middle, bottom, etc. Drive for 500km, check the level, add oil until it comes back to the level you started at. Report how many liters of oil were used in 500km.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have trouble reconciling these two posts... how can you be so utterly clueless about putting oil into a motor, yet "your shop" is the place to be????

People are asking "how much oil do you use"..... here you go. Simple process: Fill the oil to SOME level, top, middle, bottom, etc. Drive for 500km, check the level, add oil until it comes back to the level you started at. Report how many liters of oil were used in 500km.
Thanks..well i meant my shop is the place to be if he wants tuning parts !! i don't offer services in my shop..i only sell the parts and tune the ECU my self..changing oils..etc..is not my business..and pal you should cool off a bit..if you think i'm clueless then y did i do that post !! i just want to know if its normal or not !!

Any ways..cool off and thanks !

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Thanks..well i meant my shop is the place to be if he wants tuning parts !! i don't offer services in my shop..i only sell the parts and tune the ECU my self..changing oils..etc..is not my business..and pal you should cool off a bit..if you think i'm clueless then y did i do that post !! i just want to know if its normal or not !!

Fair enough, you sell parts...not a 'shop' in the sense that they do actual work.

I know you are asking what is "normal", but you need to tell people what is going on! It sound like your oil level changed over some time period, assuming you drove it during that time. Unless you tell us how much oil was used in some period of use it is impossible to gauge "normal".

You "tune" the ECU yourself?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fair enough, you sell parts...not a 'shop' in the sense that they do actual work.

I know you are asking what is "normal", but you need to tell people what is going on! It sound like your oil level changed over some time period, assuming you drove it during that time. Unless you tell us how much oil was used in some period of use it is impossible to gauge "normal".

You "tune" the ECU yourself?
Well..yea i will do that and i think your tip "500KM" is the right solution for me..but my dash is broken..numbers really aren't clear but will figure out a way..and yes i do tune the ECU my self..for American cars using Diablo..etc..but for Bimmers..not yet and i don't think i will since Evolve will do the work..but ard that doesn't mean i'm clueless or gives you the right to say that..but any ways..yes i do sell Tuning parts only..and what made me ask about the oil..its going low and the car doesn't smoke..only 2 times ppl driving behind me said it smokes after you push it and backfires too..!! but i will see and update you with the 500KM consumption. Thank you again ard.

·
Registered
47 Posts

AWESOME!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sniper...so happy to find somone from the same land..hope we meet some day..plus if you want to tune your car then my shop is the place to be here in Kuwait..i'm the dealer of schmiedmann..evolve..turner..evosport..etc..hope you can take a look @ my beast too since you experience with it :)
sure i would be happy

wich dealer ??

dont say auto design ???

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No..mine is Q8speed shop..beside Super Shop..Shuwaikh..here is my cell No. ($)(*$##..hope u figure it out :)

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
First, your 2000 car should ONLY be using Castrol TWS - - 10W-60 - - period.

Second, for that model year, it is normal to use more oil than the later model new ring design. -My car uses 1 liter of TWS per 1000 or so kilometers...

Third - - WHEN/HOW you check your oil is CRITICAL. You have to have the engine warm and running, and then after its at idle for some seconds, turn it off and wait 60 seconds - THEN check the oil level. Checking oil level cold or by any other procedure will give you misleading readings...

Does your 'odometer' work? - - what I do is reset the odometer when I toss in a fresh liter. I DON'T keep topping it up, I watch the odometer, and when she is at 600 or so kilometers, check it, then again at 800/1000 etc and as soon as she will take an ENTIRE liter, toss it in, then reset the odometer and start over.

Why do the checking AND odometer since after all there is an oil lite? - - well, even though I think I have changed every leaking hose/seal on my 108k km M5 engine already, they can develop leaks, AND the worst thing you could do is wait for a lite or until it's too late - because if you do wait until it's too late on the oil on this engine, the engine will be destroyed - unrecoverable...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First, your 2000 car should ONLY be using Castrol TWS - - 10W-60 - - period.

Second, for that model year, it is normal to use more oil than the later model new ring design. -My car uses 1 liter of TWS per 1000 or so kilometers...

Third - - WHEN/HOW you check your oil is CRITICAL. You have to have the engine warm and running, and then after its at idle for some seconds, turn it off and wait 60 seconds - THEN check the oil level. Checking oil level cold or by any other procedure will give you misleading readings...

Does your 'odometer' work? - - what I do is reset the odometer when I toss in a fresh liter. I DON'T keep topping it up, I watch the odometer, and when she is at 600 or so kilometers, check it, then again at 800/1000 etc and as soon as she will take an ENTIRE liter, toss it in, then reset the odometer and start over.

Why do the checking AND odometer since after all there is an oil lite? - - well, even though I think I have changed every leaking hose/seal on my 108k km M5 engine already, they can develop leaks, AND the worst thing you could do is wait for a lite or until it's too late - because if you do wait until it's too late on the oil on this engine, the engine will be destroyed - unrecoverable...
Ok..so after doing this process..where should be the oil level on the oil meter? Half between the min and max mark..or where?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts