BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi guys .

Yes , this is the Aussie PPF Kit after a number of discoveries and alterations to get it up and running .

In the uk there are only a few petrol stations that sell >97 ron fuel .

Ideally we want to run on the highest octane available and at present it's got 99 ron fuel in the tank .

My man is currently looking at the fuelling and will be mapping her after a run on the rollers.

For now , I am simply overjoyed to have her up and running and getting her through a uk ministry of transport test , including emissions test .

See video of initial running ;
E34 M5 S38B42 Stroker:

http://youtu.be/xNfBPVQOpPg

WHOOP! THERE IT IS!!!! :smile:nerd

Awesome!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Love this David, huge well done to you.

I would love one of these in my M635CSi........

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
291 deg duration cam will help reduce the DCR ... do you have the cam specs ?

I'm interested in the degrees the intake cam closes ABDC

·
Registered
7,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The manifold was made specially for this build and was as close as we could get to the RHD steering box .

My man was heard to say he wouldn't like to make another one !

Meanwhile the Cat Cams are available in 291 duration and the spec can be seen here :

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/1301004.pdf

I have so many pics it's ridiculous , as this has gone on for quite some time .

I look forward to getting a clip of her at full chat posted up in due course .

Thanks for all of your positive comments .

D

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Correct , the intake valve is now closing at around 94 deg ABDC compared to the stock cam at 70 deg ABDC causing less cylinder pressure.

Engine is going to be lumpy as hell and a bit of a pig at low rpm

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
davidoli; your engine is magnificence. It's truly over -the-edge, in the very best way. Where others just blow in it, you've taken the S38 to its highest form, in the way we all love. Thank you, and please, forever know that you're the best!

And I'm fine with blowing in it, too. done by the right guy....with as much love as davidoli has!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
So... If I want to make the same 4.2 stroker but with a normal 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratio, what cam shoud be enough ? I will use mainly 94 octane fuel. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
So... If I want to make the same 4.2 stroker but with a normal 10:1 or 10.5:1 compression ratio, what cam shoud be enough ? I will use mainly 94 octane fuel. Thanks.
Taffy , B42 stroker should be ok with stock cams and 10.5:1

If you wanted a bit more safety margin go with some Shrick 284 cams

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Correct , the intake valve is now closing at around 94 deg ABDC compared to the stock cam at 70 deg ABDC causing less cylinder pressure.
I do not understand how you come to 94 °. I calculate the 291 ° Cat Cam at 110 ° lobe angel with timing 75.5° / 35.5°:frown:confused:

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I do not understand how you come to 94 °. I calculate the 291 ° Cat Cam at 110 ° lobe angel with timing 75.5° / 35.5°:frown:confused:
Me too , you are correct 75.5 deg ABDC

Putting the correct ABDC into the wallace racing DCR calculator means David's S38B42 will need 98 to 100 octane fuel (DCR approaching 9)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds orsome David. The 291cam will feed the high 12:1 comp nicely. The cam is still low in valve lift so it's not too crazy. I actually like the lopey idle.

Did I hear correct that you are using a remapped OEM computer?
This engine could be massively enhanced with a good off the shelf engine managment computer. Firstly sequential injection could tone down the idle significantly and with the high comp if you run it with the aid of a wideband exhaust sensor you could get better than factory cruise fuel economy out of it and still make well over 400bhp depending on how high u are prepared to rev the long stroke engine.

Orsome work for having the balls to build this.

I'm doing a s38 rebuild shortly. Have 13:1 ppm pistons, all new timing chain components haltech computer. Just deciding how big I want the cam and whether it will be e85 only or drop the comp to mid 12's and have the ability to run Ron98. It's going in my m635csi. I'm taking out the m88/3 and storing it as it's the original engine number.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts