BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in Nevada. Guys, do we know good, reputable builders on the west coast or near me? Korman and MM are too far :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
what about Frank Fahey ?
Doesn't he have an excellent reputation as in top notch ?

I have no personal experience, just what I have gleaned from various sources of news and information.

San Diego area unless I'm mistaken.

·
Registered
906 Posts
My opinion using Frank Fahey is a bit scary...

Why ? His prices are with UFO galactic range... If you sent your engine there be ready to spent 5K $ each week! And when he calls you in the middle of the week it will be to bring more money...

A good friend of mine sent his S38-B36 engine to Metric Mechanic few year back for rebuild. His bill was 7,500$ Seven-Thousand-five-hundred US $$$... When he got the engine hear in LA I asked him to show me what they did changed during rebuild. Piston rings, bearings set, head job guides, few valves (because they were bent), all gaskets and that was it!

If your budget is open which I doubt... go for it !

He does good quality work !

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I know! MM quoted me 12500! Crazy.

Any others - I just want somebody with experience, don't need a stroker kit or anything like that! Just a quality rebuild back to spec.

So the quest remains! Any other variants in near LA?

·
10,458 Posts
there's a story on the board of a member who had a fahey rebuild that failed around the 30k mile mark, and used much oil in the mean time.

He later had the engine rebuilt again at Avus autosport, so cal, i belleve they're a board advertiser, and had good results.

·
Registered
763 Posts
My opinion using Frank Fahey is a bit scary...

Why ? His prices are with UFO galactic range... If you sent your engine there be ready to spent 5K $ each week! And when he calls you in the middle of the week it will be to bring more money...

A good friend of mine sent his S38-B36 engine to Metric Mechanic few year back for rebuild. His bill was 7,500$ Seven-Thousand-five-hundred US $$$... When he got the engine hear in LA I asked him to show me what they did changed during rebuild. Piston rings, bearings set, head job guides, few valves (because they were bent), all gaskets and that was it!

If your budget is open which I doubt... go for it !

He does good quality work !

I think this is why when my time comes, I'll do it myself with the help of a few local shops.

I have done many air cooled VW and Porsche motors and even a few rotarys

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mottati,

Avus Autosport is even WORST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Andrew is over charging people like crazy !!!!!

I got estimate from him for S62-B50 E39 M5 head gaskets change and he estimated around 10.000-11.000 Ten Thousand US dolars...

That Ferrari 512tr testarosa is sitting in his garage... is from birds who pays for $1,200 brake job !

Or 17,500 for S38-B36 engine rebuild! I actually have a bill from Avus in Glendale who charged a guy for S38 rebuild :eek:

A person whit no mechanical skills will change the brakes for about 2 hours!!!! Why the hell 1,200 $$$$....

Evolve if you want I can help you. PM me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, it's hard to find a builder and not to shell out a price of some honda civic :)!!! I can't send a PM yet due to a low post count.

Happy Turkey Day, guys!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Guys - I can't pm yet :(

My goal with the engine - just back to stock and reliability. All the cylinders show 120 - 125 compression. :( . So rings at least - hell knows what is under there when you open it up. car has 190000 miles, and all the parts that i have pulled so far are original. I can't track its history, but it shows dealership stamps up to 1998 and then nothing. So there you go. It runs, but I don't know if I should run it.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
2,941 Posts
Depending on what you get, US$ 17k doesn't seem to bad for a full S38 engine rebuild. I had to pay 7815 Euro ex VAT for my M88/3 rebuild, excluding all the required auxiliary parts needed when installing the engine. In total, my engine rebuild has set me back for around 15k Euro ex VAT but bear in mind that I have done all the research and most of the labour (disassembly, removal of the engine, engine installation etc) by myself. If I had outsourced everything, the bill for the rebuild would easily have exceeded 25k Euro's which at todays exchange rates is around US$ 33k.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Raymond,

In Europe the rebuild is the same numbers but in EURO currency. Also the parts are more money compere to US.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Evolve,

I think I know your car. It was sitting at Ventura blvd at Misha's place, DA ?

A

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Вполне возможно!

I bought it here in Vegas from one guy who bought it from bimmermotorsports in Studio City in LA. History unknown :(. Was about a year ago.

Let me know if you know anything about it.

Email : [email protected]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts