BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a modified '01 and would like to see how well my car can run against a honest to goodness Dinan S2, just for the fun of it.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
I am in Virginia beach. If u are ever in the area I will run you. It may be easier to go to the strip and compare that way. Dinan claims a 12.7 but I think its a little conservitive. If you can run under 12.7 I would say your pretty comparable.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I have a modified '01 and would like to see how well my car can run against a honest to goodness Dinan S2, just for the fun of it.
I am up for it as soon as we get a nice dry day. I would also like to get one of the two local S3 guys to join in. We have talk about this often between them and I. We just never connected. A video of the runs would be in order for all to see the results. I will send you a PM to coordinate.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool beans...

I know quick, and i think my car is really. really quick... but if the Dinan S2 is the bench mark and Holy Grail of "quick" for the E39, I need to know if a modified mutt can run with a pure bred...

I am up for it as soon as we get a nice dry day. I would also like to get one of the two local S3 guys to join in. We have talk about this often between them and I. We just never connected. A video of the runs would be in order for all to see the results. I will send you a PM to coordinate.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just for the record...

I know quick, and i think my car is really. really quick... but if the Dinan S2 is the bench mark and Holy Grail of "quick" for the E39, I need to know if a modified mutt can run with a pure bred...

I'm not trying to demean Dinan or challenge any one person's mods in any sort or manner. All I want to see is how well what I and the original owner cobbled together will perform against a bone fide S2.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Umm, don't you mean S3? And if you want fast, hit up member wilsodh or phillyM5. Don't know what you're running, but I'm pretty sure you'll get your *** handed to you.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Holy Grail? I Don't Think So...

OK, I'll bite what makes you think your E39 M5 is "really, really quick?" What's been done to it? I'm guessing you don't have any 1/4 mile time slips to back up your claim. However there may be an open slot in Enzom's private Atco rental http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1247859#poststop where for the price of the $200 entry fee you can participate and show us what you've got:hihi:

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Why are you trying to give this guy a hard time? He just wants to run a true S2 to see how his mods compare. He has never said his car is faster or better etc. I REALLY hope you do not think that your S3 is quick...i am 100% sure it is a beast on the highway but your 11.9 ET is not quick especially when you consider your money invested. i just do not understand why you always come across this way with regards to your car. correct me if I am wrong but don't you have someone else drive your car at the track? I could just be misreading or misunderstanding your posts but it does come across like this all the time.

Ryan

OK, I'll bite what makes you think your E39 M5 is "really, really quick?" What's been done to it? I'm guessing you don't have any 1/4 mile time slips to back up your claim. However there may be an open slot in Enzom's private Atco rental http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1247859#poststop where for the price of the $200 entry fee you can participate and show us what you've got:hihi:

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Why are you trying to give this guy a hard time? He just wants to run a true S2 to see how his mods compare. He has never said his car is faster or better etc. I REALLY hope you do not think that your S3 is quick...i am 100% sure it is a beast on the highway but your 11.9 ET is not quick especially when you consider your money invested. i just do not understand why you always come across this way with regards to your car. correct me if I am wrong but don't you have someone else drive your car at the track? I could just be misreading or misunderstanding your posts but it does come across like this all the time.

Ryan
I didn't see anything wrong with the challenge. Dinan people are defensive about their cars and felt insulted. That's how it was on the E55 board when M5 people insulted them. Now you have M5 people acting the same. It's all hypocrisy.

Umm, don't you mean S3? And if you want fast, hit up member wilsodh or phillyM5. Don't know what you're running, but I'm pretty sure you'll get your *** handed to you.
Sorry, but I think this is uncalled for.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kelster...

WIth a tip of the hat to Meedham 1979 and to paraphrase John McCain, calm down. I do not have time slips, pink slips or a bananna split and as i originally posted, I "thinK" (with heavy emphasis on "think") my car is really quick BUT won't know for sure until I see an S2 in action. Furthermore, I KNOW that my car could never compare to a S3, so why would I even "think" of challenging one? This isn't about dinan vs non dinan...all i want to know is how close i am to having 471 hp or whatever the S2 stated HP is, pure and simple. Furthermore, I am absolutely positive that an experienced driver could get my car from point "A" to "B" much quicker than I could, so a "time slip" would be absolutely worthless for the sake of this conversation.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Perhaps he should have added "Normally aspirated" in his benchmark statement, OK?

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Care to share what mods you have on your car?
all i want to know is how close i am to having 471 hp or whatever the S2 stated HP is, pure and simple.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mods...

Care to share what mods you have on your car?
Dinan parts: CAI, T/Bodies, V/Stacks & Larger MAF housing...

Other go-fast Stuff; Powerchip Gold 93, Racing Dynamics headers, Schrick Cams, Evosport underdrive pulleys and 3:45 Diff, UUC clutch and lightened flywheel, Tubi w/metal cats,

Handling: 19"BBS LM's, FK Koenigsport Coilovers, Eibach/Technik swaybars and Weichers strutbrace

I only just added the t/b's, v/s and larger mafs and the new found power is so amazing it's scary... which is why i wanted to see how these cobbled together mods compare to a bona fide Dinan S2.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Isn't the title S2 challenge?

I didn't see anything wrong with the challenge. Dinan people are defensive about their cars and felt insulted. That's how it was on the E55 board when M5 people insulted them. Now you have M5 people acting the same. It's all hypocrisy.

Sorry, but I think this is uncalled for.

+1

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
WIth a tip of the hat to Meedham 1979 and to paraphrase John McCain, calm down. I do not have time slips, pink slips or a bananna split and as i originally posted, I "thinK" (with heavy emphasis on "think") my car is really quick BUT won't know for sure until I see an S2 in action. Furthermore, I KNOW that my car could never compare to a S3, so why would I even "think" of challenging one? This isn't about dinan vs non dinan...all i want to know is how close i am to having 471 hp or whatever the S2 stated HP is, pure and simple. Furthermore, I am absolutely positive that an experienced driver could get my car from point "A" to "B" much quicker than I could, so a "time slip" would be absolutely worthless for the sake of this conversation.
You have taken a very mature and resonable postion here. I certainly don't think you deserve the public thrashing you have stirred up by your original post. I would be curious too if I had your Beast.:cheers: I am not sure why people are so threatened by your post. "Just for the fun of it" sounds pretty reasonable to me. I don't see where you ever stated that your car was "better" than an S2, simply that you wanted to try it out against one. Besides, you have most of the S2 mods anyway!

Brian

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I only just added the t/b's, v/s and larger mafs and the new found power is so amazing it's scary... which is why i wanted to see how these cobbled together mods compare to a bona fide Dinan S2.
Very nice list of mods. I'm assuming you could run with an S2 since you have most of the parts and the one's you're lacking, you have something comparable. Just curious, so you could feel a big difference just adding the Dinan TB's and velocity stacks? Did you modify your software when you added them? Thanks.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
to the OP I will meet up with you if I pass through your area in the next few weeks

I do not feel you need to change your post to FI vs NA at all. You never said anything that should have lead to the reation you recieved. this is the typical reaction on this forum.

Your original post was very clear and it is too bad certain people try to make it into something it isnt. I have experienced this time and time again. the best word to describe it is "EGO"!

With you having cam's you actually might pull an S-2. Put some r compounds on it and take it to the strip or have someone take it there and see what is does. I ran a 12.48 with 3.15 ears with my S-2. I have put the 3.45 diff in and I can tell you that I am low 12's. probably a 12.2 or maybe even a 12 teen's. i have compared my car to my buddys 335i and my other buddys rs6 and built vette. the difference after the gears was huge so we will see this summer.

Like i said if i am pass through on my way to new england in the near future i will let you know.

Good luck bro

Ryan

1 - 20 of 230 Posts