BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a general question for those with the switchable Nurburgring.

What do you have it set to?

Mine generally lives in position P, I sometime use S if i'm pushing on, but never leave it there.

Just wondered if I was missing out on anything??

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
I often have mine in S. On rough ground or even if there are more than one other passenger on board then I go to P. But mainly 90% in S.

I did do 4 laps of Bedford in P mode by mistake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BURTON said:
I often have mine in S. On rough ground or even if there are more than one other passenger on board then I go to P. But mainly 90% in S.

I did do 4 laps of Bedford in P mode by mistake.
But S mode makes the ride really firm..

I start bobing about like some youth in his lowered nova!!!

I'm not sure the north circular requires the S setting!

Still, if you like that sort of thing..........................

:wroom:

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
I like a bit of comfort in me old age, so the P setting is fine 90% of the time.

PLUS - I may be completely wrong here, but I reckon that these EDC dampers are delicate enough without running around with them in the hardest setting all the time.

PLUS - the stiffer the suspension, the more loads are transferred to the shell, so the more stuff starts to rattle etc.

Just call me "Mr Mechanical Sympathy" !!!! :M5thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
I suppose it is down to me being only 25. I have had lowered cars and the R32 was abit of harsh ride, but I don't mind it! I use the sunblind then I can be all Gangsta..

Ok ok.. I'll get me coat!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rob Plummer said:
I like a bit of comfort in me old age, so the P setting is fine 90% of the time.

PLUS - I may be completely wrong here, but I reckon that these EDC dampers are delicate enough without running around with them in the hardest setting all the time.

PLUS - the stiffer the suspension, the more loads are transferred to the shell, so the more stuff starts to rattle etc.

Just call me "Mr Mechanical Sympathy" !!!! :M5thumbs:
Rob,

That follows my train of thinking!
Apart from the old age bit!

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
707 Posts
BURTON said:
I suppose it is down to me being only 25. I have had lowered cars and the R32 was abit of harsh ride, but I don't mind it! I use the sunblind then I can be all Gangsta..

Ok ok.. I'll get me coat!
I had group N forest spec suspension on my Lancer Evo for a good while.

I'm not joking when I say that if you bounced on the front wing to see how stiff it was, it didn't move.

In fact, there were several dents in the tops of the front wings where I'd bounced on it and the bodywork had flexed before the suspension did!

The best thing about the M5 is also the worst thing - this damned EDC business.

I love the fact that it's nice and comfy when just knocking around, but at the flick of a switch, it all stiffens up (as the actress said to the bishop!). Fantastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,689 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
I had group N forest spec suspension on my Lancer Evo for a good while.

I'm not joking when I say that if you bounced on the front wing to see how stiff it was, it didn't move.

In fact, there were several dents in the tops of the front wings where I'd bounced on it and the bodywork had flexed before the suspension did!

The best thing about the M5 is also the worst thing - this damned EDC business.

I love the fact that it's nice and comfy when just knocking around, but at the flick of a switch, it all stiffens up (as the actress said to the bishop!). Fantastic.
Yes this while I love the EDC as its OE and also switchable. Not many suspension systems can offer than on a car of this age!

Just wish sometimes the parts were cheaper! But hey thats the price you pay for a car that was £50k+!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,431 Posts
I keep mine on 'S' as it responds much better to blatting up to speed humps and then slamming on to compress the suspension before popping over them.

It also make the steering feel more direct.

Even on 'S' is is nowhere near as hard as my old suspension on my Corrado on it's softest setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
AndyE said:
P most of the time, S if I'm enjoying a twisty.
For me mine is in S around 90% of the time and I find it quite excepatable but there are some times when I place it in P like on the motorway and on some really rough roads, but that is it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
Mmm-Five said:
I keep mine on 'S' as it responds much better to blatting up to speed humps and then slamming on to compress the suspension before popping over them.

It also make the steering feel more direct.

Even on 'S' is is nowhere near as hard as my old suspension on my Corrado on it's softest setting.
I was going to add that it is still softer in S than my old tuned VW's but I see you have done this too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
678 Posts
P on the Motorway and fast straight A-Roads. (radio on)


S most of the rest of the time - twisties / b-road blasts (radio off!).


Really see the difference in the settings since the EDC Control Unit was replaced.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top