BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my wintersports i spotted this car for sale in Austria.

Haven't got a clue about older Alpina's but liked the looks of it despite of it requiring quite a bit of bodywork.

Seller wasn't very talkative, only things i got out of him were that it's supposed to be an original Alpina and he want's 10.000 Euro for it.

Opinions?

·
Administrator
8,801 Posts
Depending on the specification and paperwork to back it up it could be worthwhile project. Looking at the bodywork it seems the conversion is at least quite old. Try getting the VIN for the car or any supporting documentation.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
if thats original that is worth bucks even if it requires bodywork

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would w/o doubt look into it, as earlier mentioned it could be a really nice find if it turns out to be original.

Now, go investigate :deal:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Odd - looks like a US-spec car - federal bumpers and side-reflectors...

If it is, and if it was assembled to Alpina specs in the US, it could be near-impossible to document properly! Who was doing Alpinas in the US in the early-70s? Was it Korman?

In any case, I'm no expert on A4s, but the body mods don't look right to me - Alpina-flared 2002s that I've seen were much neater, and that airdam doesn't quite look right either.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd get that over on a 2002 board somewhere and find out if it's anything. It's a body kit I've never seen, but it certainly looks like a very nicely done one (not some one-off hack job). Side markers seem a curious addition on a european-market car.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think all of the US square tail light cars had the alum bumpers but the markers do look like the US version.

Not sure who was doing the conversions in the US at that time but I think it was Hardy and Beck, and then Miller and Norburn in the 80's. I don't think Korman did complete conversion but did offer parts and service (I could be wrong).

·
Registered
291 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought from the original post that this car is in Austria. Not sure were all the US bumper talk is coming from, as that's a euro bumper in the rear (admittedly with some big bumperettes). Don't think that it's somehow a converted US spec car either - don't the US bumper shocks cut through the valance? No signs of that.

The side markers/additional reflectors are still a mystery. I thought some EU countries required additional side marking - could that be the reason these were added at some point?

Let us know if you find out anything from the '02 guys about it. The body kit is unique, but nicely done enough to warrant some investigation.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If we do except the green / blue Alpina stripping colours of the early seventies, I do not see anything that really is Alpina on this car. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but one has to be very careful with early Alpina cars.

Bumpers and side reflectors indeed are US like, but this kind of mod, the Europeans love(d) to do on 2002 cars (even if the bumper mod does look a bit surprising in our case...). Could just be a general modification done by a previous owner who find it nice to have. We are missing too much infos on the car (e.g. VIN #, engine, etc...) too issue a valid statement.

Another Ray : Some actions for you ... and get back to us please.

The body kit is not a one of a kind. It is simply the late (mid- seventies) Gp. 2 body kit for BMW 2002's that also has been used on so many early 320 E21 cars. This body kit, we saw zillions of times during the seventies. It is not Alpina specific, rather more FIA rules compliant for a mid-seventies 2002 car.

I also attach some pictures of some of the special 2002 cars I have owned during the seventies. Among others, I owned a silver 2002 Ti Koepchen with a bright orange front spoiler (impossible to miss it !), a black 2002 Ti Alpina, a dark blue GP 2 2002 Ti Alpina and a metallic blue / silver GP2 2002 Alpina.

Please note that both that last cars had the same front spoiler as the Austrian car (the typical mid-seventies Gp2 spoiler), just the fenders were different.

Do not need to say that I regret having sold those cars. I have tried hard to find them again but unfortunately without success. I could however learn two things : the Koepchen car has been crashed :mad: and the dark blue Alpina 2002 has benn seen early 80's in France (Britany)

2002 Ti Koepchen

Black 2002 Ti Alpina (1)

Black 2002 Ti Alpina (2)

Blue / Silver 2002 Alpina

Dark blue 2002 Ti

·
Registered
141 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought from the original post that this car is in Austria. Not sure were all the US bumper talk is coming from, as that's a euro bumper in the rear (admittedly with some big bumperettes).
I think that is the early US type bumper as the euro ones did not have the bumper ends that extened as far to the wheel well. I personally like the longer ends and can see where others would as well. Now the US bumpers from 74 on were terrible. You can see the difference on Yannick's pictures of the blue/silver 02 Alpina.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Oh, is that what people have been meaning by US? Pre-74 pre-5mph US bumpers?

This being a square tail light car, US to me meant the big 5mph bumpers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The rear bumper is Euro. It has the lic plate lights in the bumper. The US - countries that had narrower plates didnt have the lights. They had the lights on the rear panel.
Plus the set of lights under the tail lights were Euro, RE the bright FOG light.

However the Euro cars should not have the side markers, but a US car would of had the big bumpers. However they are easily swapped out.

Its a cool looking car. I think it be worth fixing..

·
Registered
141 Posts
The rear bumper is Euro. It has the lic plate lights in the bumper. The US - countries that had narrower plates didnt have the lights. They had the lights on the rear panel.
Plus the set of lights under the tail lights were Euro, RE the bright FOG light.

However the Euro cars should not have the side markers, but a US car would of had the big bumpers. However they are easily swapped out.

Its a cool looking car. I think it be worth fixing..

So, then there were at least 2 different euro rear bumpers?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Euro Baur 1600 full convert. Imported with No side markers and the Euro bumpers that have the lights in them. The bumpers do not have the rubber horn pieces though. But those can be added.
All other 2 US spec round tail light 2002s I have : they are small bumpers with the horns pieces but do not have the lic plate lights in the bumpers. They are on a plate on the rear panel.
The Euro models also had the flush front blinkers, but they are now offered as afermarket and eaisy swapped out.

A photo of the dash would be better, is the speedo in MHP or Kilo?

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am not questioning the light on the bumpers or the bumper guards but I am referring the lengths of the ends. In Yannick's picture you will notice the short ends and I was under the impression that this was the standard euro type. But the White one has the longer ends that were found on the US round light models. (were these used on the euro models or retrofits?).

·
Registered
5 Posts
AH good call. Sorry I missed that and was focusing on the center part. Since the bumpers are 3 part either ends could be added.
Im working away from the house this week, so ill have to go look at the Baur when I get home. RE the sides of the bumper. Ill check this weekend.

The Alpina in the photo is also missing its chrome side trim around the mid section.
Also seeing the engine would be a huge help.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Gorgeous black Alpina there, Yannick!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts