BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While doing a quick detail yesterday I noticed a very small rust sport had formed next to the base of the hinge for the fill in flap (gas tank door flap). I imagine this is due to water from washing/rain not being completely dried. The design makes it all to easy for water to get trapped in there and cause this problem.

The question now is what are my options for resolving this problem; i.e stopping the spread of the rust? My gut feeling is that I will probably have to take this to a body shop but before I do that I'm wondering if there are any other possible DIY solutions.

I will enclose a photo shortly.

Regards,

Justin

Attachments

·
Registered
936 Posts
I believe this is a pretty common area for corrosion to set in on the M5.

To be honest it should be covered by the dealer as your car is a 2003, right?

I would go to them first and see if they will take care of it.

Richie.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe this is a pretty common area for corrosion to set in on the M5.

To be honest it should be covered by the dealer as your car is a 2003, right?

I would go to them first and see if they will take care of it.

Richie.
That's a good idea...especially since I'm still CPO'd through 11/08. Was going to have the pixel cluster replaced but now we can add this to the list.

·
Registered
936 Posts
That's a good idea...especially since I'm still CPO'd through 11/08. Was going to have the pixel cluster replaced but now we can add this to the list.
Don't let them fob you off either, corrosion is not unlike an iceberg, if you can see it on the surface you can bet there is a lot more below :hihihi:

Also, the fact that you can see the corrosion, and not just a paint bubble, means that it has perforated the metal/paint - I think that's how the word the warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hopefully they'll take care of it for you under warranty, but I'd check and see what the warranty says, cause you know the dealer will do their best to get money out of you.

·
Registered
116 Posts
same problem. Just reminded me to call my dealership.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
1st thing I did when I got the car 3 months back was to smear vaseline around the seam on this area to keep the water at bay....bad design really causes water to lie inside this part of the car !!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4re308

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BMW area represenative for any paint/warranty claims

Here's an update:

I brought the car into Paul Miller in Wayne, NJ and they replaced the instrument cluster with no problem, but the rust perforation is another matter.

Ken from Paul Miller told me that they can not handle any paint work and that anything under waranty must be addressed by an area represenative from BMW. He also told me since the rear quarter panel had been re-painted BMW would most likely not honor any waranty.

This sounds like a bunch of BS (part about not honoring the waranty)...

1. Has anyone experienced this before?

2. Before I attempt to take this up with BMW Customer Service, what are the suggestions?

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Why was the rear quarter repainted?

BTW, rust in this area is VERY common... unless you live in Bahrain or SoCal. BMWNA will know this. I seem to recall reading a thread years ago about a warranty rust repair in this area and and a drain hole was added to help prevent recurrence.

Dave

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know why. The previous owner claims that he didn't have it done or know anything about it. It was discovered during my PPI and there was absolutely no evidence of any frame damage or collision impact. Motor Works West (the shop that did the PPI) stated that it was most likely due to a door ding or shopping cart that scratched the original paint. With that location, if it were a collision impact from another vehicle then there would be obvious damage to frame, wheels, axle, etc.

How should I approach BMW about this? Any one in particular I should contact?

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have had the same area repaired twice under warranty but the rust always reappears after 6-9 months. This time I am just out of the European 6 year anti-rust warranty, and complaining to the dealer they have referred me to the national BMW office as the dealer claims the only way to do it properly is to cut out the whole rear wing at a cost of + €3000... :eek:oohhh:

Very annoyed with this, as it is clearly a design fault that BMW should deal with.

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
My car (100K+ Wisconsin car) is just starting to show some bubbling along the seam, not actual through paint rust yet.

I had my Body shop guy look at it and he said it was a nasty fix to do it right. He said he would have to cut away the gas cap area and the quarter panel (assuming 6" or so around the area) and rebuild the seam so it wouldn't happen again. He said he could put a drain in at that time, however his experience with those sort of drain holes is that they then rust. He argued that a properly rebuilt seam, to fix the design flaw would fix any future rusting.

His final word was that frankly until the rust became visible with the gas door closed he wouldn't worry about it.

He also said that a quick fix would be to grind the rust out, smear some body joint compound in and repaint. I'm guessing this is what a lot of the repairs are out there.

Bob

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
This thread is painful. I have a deep aversion to rust (having been through several 'rustoration' attempts with past cars), but alas we live in an oxidizing world.

I try to keep the beast parked on rainy days, and NEVER EVER drive her in the snow with salt on the road. I also take care to dry around the gas cap after either rain or car washing. Despite my best efforts, I also have the bubbling along the gas cap/quarter panel seam (RR car). This probably got started with the car's previous owner. For comparison, Diablo (built the same month as my RR beast) spent a good deal of time in Bahrain, and has no bubbling along the seam.

My car (100K+ Wisconsin car) is just starting to show some bubbling along the seam, not actual through paint rust yet.

I had my Body shop guy look at it and he said it was a nasty fix to do it right. He said he would have to cut away the gas cap area and the quarter panel (assuming 6" or so around the area) and rebuild the seam so it wouldn't happen again. He said he could put a drain in at that time, however his experience with those sort of drain holes is that they then rust. He argued that a properly rebuilt seam, to fix the design flaw would fix any future rusting.

His final word was that frankly until the rust became visible with the gas door closed he wouldn't worry about it.

He also said that a quick fix would be to grind the rust out, smear some body joint compound in and repaint. I'm guessing this is what a lot of the repairs are out there.

Bob
+1. This would be my assessment also as far as 'fix' categories go. You are probably right that for the most part the warranty 'repairs' are of the quick type. Small wonder the bubbles return.

I'm not sure I would agree about waiting until the rust becomes visible with the gas cap closed. Rust progresses at a geometric rate and quickly becomes out of control. I worry about letting any body/seam rust go for too long.

I'm keeping a close eye on the bubbles on my car, as I intend to keep the car for a long time. If I see any significant progression, she's going in for some surgery. My 540i is being absolutely consumed by rust despite an attempt to control it a few years ago. I've given up on the poor gal. Sadly, she is still mechanically strong as a bull, but is becoming quite the eye sore. She used to be a beauty. :sad2:

Dave

·
Registered
2,131 Posts
I'm not sure I'm going to take his advice on when to get it fixed but the how, I definititly am.

Maybe one of the upcomming winters when I have a beater car I'll let him putter on it. Hopefully he won't kill my battery and nave this time.

Bob

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I certainly agree that this is not something to "wait until it becomes more visible." Rust spreades quickly and before you know it, it becomes a massive problem.

One of the take aways from all of this is that we need to thoroughly dry that area after washing and/or driving in rain. Even after a repair job, I would think that this due dilligence should prevent the reoccurrence of this problem.

My only question is how do I approach BMW about this? Seeing as how they try to weasel out of warranty claims, what do board members suggest?

·
Super Moderator
4,851 Posts
Paint is specifically not covered by CPO.

That likely puts you at the mercy of whomever did the repaint, and whatever opportunity for satisfaction they provide.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Hmmm ... I live in SoCal ... I'm the sole owner of my 2003 M5 and the right rear quarter panel of my car was NEVER re-painted by anyone ...

My car is kept in-doors and never has been parked out in the rain & never outdoors over night. It's always been garaged and my car has developed a rust spot right at the bottom seam just inside of the gas tank door.

My car is also CPO'd until November '08 BUT being a CPO'd car has no effect on body rust. It doesn't come into play.

The area BMW rep came to see my car a couple of days ago and said that paint-work was done to the right rear quarter panel.

I told him that IF in fact that was the case ... it was done PRIOR to my ever taking possession of this car when new and when I first purchased it in 2003.

When I told him that ... He backed down from his position and said that he will be in touch with me within the next couple of days.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I thought many car companies have a long original(non certified) warranty for rust on any body panels. For instance Volvo comes with a 12 year unlimited mile corrosion warranty. BMW's website says they have 12 year unlimited mile warranty, but for 2006 onward. I wasn't able to find anything about the pre 2006 cars.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The 2003 has a 6-year rust perforation warranty, so technically speaking I should be covered. My concern is that BMW always attempts to weasel out of warrantly claims...they will find any excuse possible to avoid honoring the warranty. I was hoping someone could offer suggestions on how to approach them.

Paint work was done to my car because it was checked with a paint meter by 2 separate shops. I'm figuring that the BMW dealer sold this car as a CPO KNOWING full well that paint work had been done. They don't call them stealers for nothing.....

Regardless of this, rust is rust and it should be covered under the warranty. Considering the lack of any suggestions, I'm going to have to play hard ball with BMW customer service.grrrrrrr

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
Hmmm ... I live in SoCal ... I'm the sole owner of my 2003 M5 and the right rear quarter panel of my car was NEVER re-painted by anyone ...

My car is kept in-doors and never has been parked out in the rain & never outdoors over night. It's always been garaged and my car has developed a rust spot right at the bottom seam just inside of the gas tank door. .
:eek: Perhaps when you wash your car you don't blot the gas cap area dry? Interesting data point.

The 2003 has a 6-year rust perforation warranty, so technically speaking I should be covered. My concern is that BMW always attempts to weasel out of warrantly claims...they will find any excuse possible to avoid honoring the warranty. I was hoping someone could offer suggestions on how to approach them.

Paint work was done to my car because it was checked with a paint meter by 2 separate shops. I'm figuring that the BMW dealer sold this car as a CPO KNOWING full well that paint work had been done. They don't call them stealers for nothing.....

Regardless of this, rust is rust and it should be covered under the warranty. Considering the lack of any suggestions, I'm going to have to play hard ball with BMW customer service.grrrrrrr
I would ask my SA who my area BMWNA Customer Relations rep is. You should be given a contact name. Then write a letter explaining the situation. Describe the specific area, which is a known problem area for e39s. Mention that you take great care of the car's finish (ala gra8ful above), and you would like to ask for their assistance in covering this. Include your VIN and ownership history (probably the longer the better... if not, I'd downplay this). You will receive a response. Post the response on this thread and we'll see where to go from there.

Dave

1 - 20 of 37 Posts