BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Following on from a recommendation both on here and a uk forum, I contacted Russ to enquire about making me some back boxes. Russ is well known for his work for his manifolds and system on the e39 m5 and exhaust systems on several other brands for many years. He turned the exhaust around really quickly considering he is in such demand. I had them fitted this morning and looking at them up close, the craftsmanship is second to none.

Tail pipe tips are 76mm, theyre just right to me in that they maintain the oem look but fill the diffuser slightly better.

The noise on start up has a nice deep rumble, not overly loud but a rumble that lets you know its there. On the drive home it sounded great, quite subdued but aggressive when on a blast.

Its the first time I have met Russ but hes a top bloke, really helpful and he was happy for me to stand around whilst he fitted the exhausts and I was chewing his ear off!

If anything looks wonky its down to my iphone camera skills, he is a perfectionist and got the exhausts to sit perfect

Attachments

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Russ fellows has been involved with the industry for years, he is well known for his m5 headers. He has worked for some of the biggest m5 tuning houses in the uk. There is a thread on here somewhere from a member who had a full system made by him shipped out to thailand. He is based in Chester and the exhaust cost £600 inc vat. I paid him to fit as he's close to me

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm getting the full system but doing it in stages as I've got new brake pads and discs next week and a few bits more pressing

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
He uses 76mm as a standard. If you require bigger you'd have to tell him before he makes them

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I have joined the Russ fan club.

For reference Russ gives fantastic customer service and the exhaust arrived as promised and the quality is superb.

Fitting was straight forward , the only modification if you like was I had to take about 1" off my X pipe.
Otherwise all went as expected.
Here is how it all looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Please bear in mind that I have van manen manifolds, hi flow cats and an X pipe, so its quite a bit louder than if you were to put the boxes on a standard exhaust system.
I have only driven about 100 miles with it, and I may yet go for a centre box as it is a bit too loud for my own personal taste/requirements.
I would add a note saying that each performance enhancement ( manifold/cats/x pipe) will make the exhaust louder, so like me if you have all 3 it will be loud. The sound however is exactly what we are all looking for, we just have to tweek the volume to our own personal tastes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How are you finding drone with the xpipe when paired up with the exhaust? Russ makes one and I'm considered getting it as an addition. Last time I used an x pipe it was in conjunction with a muffler delete and the drone was ridiculous, I couldn't hear others speak in the car it was that intrusive!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Nat,

Sorry I couldn't reply to your PM, I don't have enough posts.

How is sounding now you have a few more miles on?

Cheers,

Martyn

·
Registered
323 Posts
Way too loud...........louder than Hayward and Scott. I have been setting off lots of car alarms.

I have managed to source a standard centre section ( resonator box ) and now its perfect. There is no performance loss from the standard centre section.

I know its personal choice, but I would go so far as to say if you have custom manifolds, or performance cats and an X pipe, then I would suggest any aftermarket rear boxes will be too loud. Of course I realize that's a bit of a claim , but I have tried a fair few always with the same result.......too loud. I know some people are now making what's known as an H pipe and I haven't tried one of those in conjunction with my set up, and I don't know how much quieter than an X pipe the H pipe is , but after a fair bit of messing about and the time and money spent trying this that and the other I am finally happy with what I have and I am leaving well alone . I think its about as good as it will ever get. If I lived in the middle of nowhere then perhaps it would be a different story.

Anyway, Russ gets my thumbs up for a great product.

Regards,

Nat.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've got VM manifolds, 100cell high flow cats, Eisenmann sport back boxes and a standard resonator. I certainly wouldn't want it any louder. If your going to fit manifolds you really need a centre box or it's just too loud and you get loads of drone.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm just exchanging emails with Russ to order a pair of these. I'm glad they sound okay with standard centre pipes as I find my H&S just to 'raw' so to speak.
They'll be for sale when I get these fitted.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts